4 Replies - 634 Views - Last Post: 01 April 2015 - 11:49 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Completely New to the World of Code. Career Change

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:25 PM

I just wanted to say hello to the massive coding community here. Let me start with a giant "I am not worthy!" to you all. Everything is still very daunting to me, and shrouded in mystery. But its something thats extremely intriguing.

Brief background:

-27 yrs Old
-I live in the North East (hour and a half from NYC)
-Bachelors in Science: Minor in Computer Animation
-Worked in Military Training and Simulation for 5 years. (Disliked my company, left Orlando, FL to move back up North)
-Computer Animation Field is no longer lucrative for me. Over saturation of workers to jobs has created an extremely flooded market. My thoughts to change careers came in time.
-Fathers a programmer. (Store Retail Operations)

I am new to coding. Web development is where I want to focus myself on. Creating web applications for companies/people to make their lives easier and more accessible to the masses is something I can be really passionate about.

I am looking to attend FullStack Academy of Code: http://fullstackacademy.com come July. They teach Full Stack Javascript web development in a 24 week Flex course. First half learning Javascript, JQuery, etc. Second half devoted to personal project creation for employers.

I hope to be around here a lot in the next coming months. I'll have a ton of questions for your all. I hope you are willing to take the time out to explain the very basics (and hopefully as time goes on more Advanced knowledge) to a NOOB like myself.

Thanks beforehand, I'll see you all in the trenches!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Completely New to the World of Code. Career Change

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Completely New to the World of Code. Career Change

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:26 AM

View Post/n.colavita, on 31 March 2015 - 08:25 PM, said:

I just wanted to say hello to the massive coding community here. Let me start with a giant "I am not worthy!" to you all. Everything is still very daunting to me, and shrouded in mystery. But its something thats extremely intriguing.

Welcome. I've been meaning to reply to you sooner, yesterday to be exact, but I was tire by then.

Not worthy? You mean you don't feel competent enough? Don't worry about that. Everyone new to whatever feels like that. Feeling competent comes with knowledge. In the field of programming, you have to practice your skills. If you do, you'll get over your feelings of not been "worthy".

I am new to coding. Web development is where I want to focus myself on. Creating web applications for companies/people to make their lives easier and more accessible to the masses is something I can be really passionate about.

Good! Whatever you do, passion is a much needed ingredient for success. I know near nothing about web development, but my impression is that all of the freelancers nowadays are web developers. Are you contemplating the possibility of opening your own web development business?

I am looking to attend FullStack Academy of Code: http://fullstackacademy.com come July. They teach Full Stack Javascript web development in a 24 week Flex course. First half learning Javascript, JQuery, etc. Second half devoted to personal project creation for employers.

I hope to be around here a lot in the next coming months. I'll have a ton of questions for your all. I hope you are willing to take the time out to explain the very basics (and hopefully as time goes on more Advanced knowledge) to a NOOB like myself.

You'll find the community here very helpful. However, I may advise you to post your question just as a last resort. Just posting, robs you of much of the learning experience. You may have seen that you learn your stuff much better and permanently if you sweat it. So, do your practice exercises, search for your answer (the search function in this site may be your best friend here), and only after everything has failed, then post your question. Learn to properly format your code from your first written code. You'll get faster and (at least theorically) more responses from the coders here if you format your code so that it is easier to understand.

Thanks beforehand, I'll see you all in the trenches!

Thanks to you for joining, and welcome again!

BTW, this is the first welcome message I compose after being awarded the Greeter badge. Ha Ha!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:06 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'll absolutely do all of my research first before blindly asking question after question. Codeacademy has really helped me stick with an organized coding format.

I dont think I'll start my own company, but I do have what I think is a very unique and fun idea for a website. Hopefully I'll be able to work on it during school and use it as a project.

I have a ton to learn and will be on yhe web developers forums daily. Reading and absorbing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:12 AM

View Post/n.colavita, on 01 April 2015 - 01:06 PM, said:

I dont think I'll start my own company, but I do have what I think is a very unique and fun idea for a website. Hopefully I'll be able to work on it during school and use it as a project.

A personal project, that's very good. I have found having a project you really care about is a major way to encourage yourself to learn. I have a project myself; a software that'll help writers in their creative process towards writing fiction. That keeps me motivated to continue learning C++ and VDM++.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:49 AM

That sounds really interesting! My website idea is a bit more community based. It connects friends and family in a way I haven't seen yet. I'm really excited about it but for the sake of keeping the integrity of the idea mine I'd like to not go into specifics haha.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1