7 Replies - 1166 Views - Last Post: 01 April 2015 - 08:27 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

New to Prgramming, Learning Swift as 1st language?

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:43 PM

So Im just getting into the programming world. Did my research on Swift and saw its going to take over C language for the future, So been getting into Swift tutorials, just want to know anyones opinion on my decision. Thank you ahead of time =]
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New to Prgramming, Learning Swift as 1st language?

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New to Prgramming, Learning Swift as 1st language?

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:35 AM

I've never heard of it, but I've only been doing this for a living for about a decade. Here's my general advice every time this comes up: Look on CareerBuilder.com and Monster.com for the jobs you want. Look at the skills those employers are looking for. Now learn those things. It doesn't matter what the next hot thing is in medical imaging development if you want a career in embedded drone software. Maybe Swift is the hot thing after C, but if you want to customize camera firmware for a living that's done in Lua. See where I'm going with this?

You do know that C was already pretty well taken over by C++, C#, and Objective-C for most desktop application building as well as the code behind a huge chunk of website and web app building - right? Core 'C' is pretty much just used in truly low-level embedded devices from what I understand. Is that the field you're looking to get in to?

There's lots of threads here about what language to learn. You should read back through them; there's a lot of good opinions in them. But one reoccurring theme is that languages come and go. You'll always be learning new ones during your decades as a developer so don't hitch your star to just one of them. Good practices and grasping the foundation concepts of good design can be taken with you from language to language.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:41 AM

View PostYourCoder, on 01 April 2015 - 01:43 AM, said:

Did my research on Swift and saw its going to take over C language for the future

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 01 April 2015 - 07:35 AM, said:

You do know that C was already pretty well taken over by C++, C#, and Objective-C for most desktop application building as well as the code behind a huge chunk of website and web app building - right?

I have to agree here, any code shop still using C isn't going to suddenly switch to Swift.

The thing that intro developers don't yet have an understanding is that the businesses makes the money, not the language. A business will only switch once it's in their financial interest to do so, not because technology A is better than B. Colleges will teach you otherwise, because their business is education, & their customers are those willing to learn. Complete other side of the spectrum.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• head thrashing
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:44 AM

Swift is a replacement for Objective-C, not C. I think this is what you would have read.

Swift is for Apple computers, so you would be focussing on Apples, not PCs.

wikipedia is a good place to check this things.

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 01 April 2015 - 04:46 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:56 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 01 April 2015 - 04:35 AM, said:

I've never heard of it, but I've only been doing this for a living for about a decade. Here's my general advice every time this comes up: Look on CareerBuilder.com and Monster.com for the jobs you want. Look at the skills those employers are looking for. Now learn those things. It doesn't matter what the next hot thing is in medical imaging development if you want a career in embedded drone software. Maybe Swift is the hot thing after C, but if you want to customize camera firmware for a living that's done in Lua. See where I'm going with this?

Thanks for the input, I want to get into a software development career. Creating apps, designing programs etc... Should I start learning a different language ? Again I appreciate you guys helping me out. Thanks !
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:11 AM

"I want to be a developer" is very generic. Its like saying "I want a career involving steel pipe." Ok, that leaves you anything from engineer new kinds of steel so pipe that can be lighter yet stronger, to an oil platform worker threading pipe together going down a well, to a house plumber that replaces old galvanized pipes.

As I mentioned before, pick a field. Game developer for Xbox... eCommerce web site back-end... 99 cent iPhone utilities... Do you have a love of photography so its natural to want to make photography applications... Maybe you have a developmentally disabled cousin so you've always wished more was done to help these people get more out of life through specialized software... automotive building robots... self-driving cars... missile guidance...

Once you figure out where you want to go you can figure out what road to take.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:13 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 01 April 2015 - 08:11 AM, said:

"I want to be a developer" is very generic. Its like saying "I want a career involving steel pipe."

I wanna lay some pipe.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:27 AM

It is also worth noting that when Swift came out, it was an _addition to_ Objective-C, not a replacement for. You could write portions of your program in Swift, which would make those portions go faster, but it wasn't full-featured, so you still had to know Objective-C and Cocoa to get an entire application written. Then when you add on that it is likely only to be fully supported (or supported at all) on i-devices (Apple products) for the foreseeable future, it depends on what you want to work on as to whether it is even worth learning.

If you want to take advantage of the "cool new features" that Swift made available, but don't want to use Apple devices (or don't want to corner yourself to only Apple devices) I would suggest looking at C#, Java, or any number of more widely supported languages. It is worth noting that C# doesn't have much Apple support, but it is a direct competitor to Objective-C/Swift, so there's that. However, Microsoft has decided to pour a lot of effort into getting the .Net framework (the spine of C#.net, VB.net, and C++.net) ported for the Linux platform, which means it will work more or less with Mac (since they are both Unix based). Obviously some things won't be supported in that mode, but it will still get a wider audience than Apple only.

Now, as far as your "I am getting into the industry" comment, you should start off with either a broad overview of what you want to do with your life and use time at a university to help narrow that down, or try a number of specific things until you find one that fits your desires. Back in high school (yeah, I have been programming for a while), I was a web developer (though I really hope that most of what I made back then has been replaced by newer things now...). It was fun, but as I got more knowledgeable I found myself being drawn towards creating lower level applications. So I started traveling backwards, with Java, Python, C and C++. I eventually decided that Java annoyed the heck out of me (mostly Sun/ Oracle and their incapability of writing an updater that actually listened to my preferences -- that is still my biggest beef with it to this day) and went with C++ as my primary language of choice. After graduating from college, I went got a job as a firmware engineer, so I work at the kernel level writing operating systems for storage devices (* storage devices, as in the $10K+ controllers that you purchase from large corporations that contain petabytes of storage space). This is nowhere near where I started out in programming, but I enjoy it quite a bit all the same.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1