3 Replies - 498 Views - Last Post: 06 April 2015 - 09:28 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

My Introduction to Dream.In.Code

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:30 PM

Hi, I'm godKing33. I joined this site not because I'm looking for someone to do my code for me. In fact, I joined this site because I really need some assistance with debugging my programs. Furthermore, I also could use some help or advice when it comes to approaching a complicated and intimidating programming projects and/or labs. I absolutely want to become a proficient, remarkable, and amazing programmer so that I could become a competent and reliable software engineer in the future.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: My Introduction to Dream.In.Code

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: My Introduction to Dream.In.Code

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:46 PM

Welcome. The best way to get good help here - or on most forums, for that matter - is to ask a clear and cogent question about your problem, showing us a minimal runnable example which demonstrates the problem you're having and clearly states what you're expecting to see and how your results differ from your expectations. If you can manage that, and also provide, verbatim, any errors that your compiler or interpreter might be showing you, then you're likely to get a good answer in short order.
(see Eric Raymond on "How to ask questions the smart way" for a more detailed treatment of this question)

Furthermore, I also could use some help or advice when it comes to approaching a complicated and intimidating programming projects and/or labs.

Generally speaking your best bet is going to be to break large problems down into smaller ones (functions are your friends!). Start from design - don't write code until you know what you want it to do and how you want to do it. Use good style and good names that express your purpose - taking the effort to write the code clearly will not only help you next week when you're trying to debug, it'll help you now because it'll force you to think through your design decisions and understand what you really meant.

Do that and you'll probably be mostly fine, a lot of the time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:14 PM

View PostgodKing33, on 05 April 2015 - 07:30 PM, said:

Hi, I'm godKing33. I joined this site not because I'm looking for someone to do my code for me. In fact, I joined this site because I really need some assistance with debugging my programs. Furthermore, I also could use some help or advice when it comes to approaching a complicated and intimidating programming projects and/or labs. I absolutely want to become a proficient, remarkable, and amazing programmer so that I could become a competent and reliable software engineer in the future.

hai godking 33 welcome to DIC . I am pretty sure that you will find what you are looking in here at DIC .what language do you use. Warm welcome again,enjoy your stay
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:28 AM

View PostgodKing33, on 05 April 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

Hi, I'm godKing33. I joined this site not because I'm looking for someone to do my code for me. In fact, I joined this site because I really need some assistance with debugging my programs.

Welcome. Are you a college student? Or rather are you self-teaching programming? Are those programs school homework or personal projects?

Furthermore, I also could use some help or advice when it comes to approaching a complicated and intimidating programming projects and/or labs. I absolutely want to become a proficient, remarkable, and amazing programmer so that I could become a competent and reliable software engineer in the future.

This community can help you on this. What platform are you using? What IDE? What language(s) are you learning? Are you using books or websites for learning? Which ones?

I am a wannabe software developer wanting to code my own commercial projects. I'm using no IDE per se, but I use the WinGW compiler package, and Notepad++ for writing my programs (Notepad++ has built in code writing features) in a Windows Vista platform. I'm studying C++ right now and want to learn formal development methods. Java will follow C++. I'm a self-learner.

What about you? What are your goals as a software engineer? What do you foresee for your future?

Welcome again. Enjoy your stay!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1