7 Replies - 1305 Views - Last Post: 12 April 2015 - 10:05 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Freelance Sites that Don't Require you to Purchase Bids?

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:43 AM

Are there any freelance sites that don't require you to purchase bids? I didn't even know if such a thing existed but it would be nice to freelance develop without having to purchase bids. You aren't even guaranteed to win the project.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Freelance Sites that Don't Require you to Purchase Bids?

• Enterprise Software Architect
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Freelance Sites that Don't Require you to Purchase Bids?

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:47 AM

elance didn't used to require it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:07 AM

View Postastonecipher, on 12 April 2015 - 08:47 AM, said:

elance didn't used to require it.

Their home page makes it sound like the person placing the ad is the one paying for the service. If the programmer bids $100 the cost to the hiring entity would be 108.75

elance.com said:

How much does Elance cost?

Itís free to join, post jobs, and see your candidates on Elance. We add an 8.75% fee to your freelancerís bid. You see and pay this price only, when you approve work.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:09 AM

I know sites like ThumbTack have you purchase credits so you can bid, which is why I either don't use it, or manually find the person using other means.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:46 AM

An alternative perspective (from the person putting up the contract)...

"If the guy bidding has so little confidence in their skill or ability to complete the contract that they aren't willing to spend $20/month on bidding and just add it in to their cost of doing business... Why would I feel confident in hiring them?"

Costs of bids, costs of your own website, costs of software is all just overhead in running your freelancing business. The costs of bidding are negligible when compared to the cost of your hardware, Visual Studio, plug-ins for VS, Quickbooks, business checking account, etc. etc. Hell, the cost of bids is probably less than what you spend on Starbucks for the month. Isn't it worth a couple bucks to go after decent paying work?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:57 AM

While I see that side of the argument, the biggest issue I have found with sites like that is, it isn't big work. I have never had to pay when completing a RFP. Paying $15 for a job that pays $450 isn't bad, but when you do 10 an have no work to show for it, you are out money. I have talked to a few that had a budget of $300 for a program. When I informed them of what the cost of quality work was going to cost, even not having me do it, they decided they would rather wait until their budget allowed for it.

The only benefit is as you say, it cuts down the amount of erroneous bids. When I was last on elance a long time ago, Middle Eastern and Southeast Asian groups were spamming bids to grab what they could. It was tearing down the value of quality work, because they could bid pennies on the dollar for what would be reasonable for others.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:56 AM

Agreed. But some common sense has to go into play to. If you're paying more that $3 to bid on that job its just too high of a percentage.

I tend to not go after jobs less than a grand because they don't pay as all that much by the time you get done with all the crap that doesn't pay: Communicating the buyer's intent (IE figuring out their crappy instructions). Supplying screen shots for approval and so on. Arguing with the cheapskates that what you built is what they asked for and all that other stuff they thought would come with it wasn't part of the bid and will cost them more.

A $450 job is only 3 days of work. Then you have at least 2 days for free on the 'admin' stuff surrounding the contract. The small jobs are just way to much work to get the work and at the end of the year you haven't made any more money.

A $5,000 job (or higher) doesn't have much more unpaid admin tasks and keeps you on the same project for a full month (or more). These are also vendors with a professional attitude and budget. Do a good job and get the next job from them without having it go out for bid at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:05 AM

I agree completely! It is general ROI. You have overhead regardless of what you do, but if your bidding $500 / month on work and only making $2000, you are screwed.

The other side stated for other members starting out[with freelancing] and they want to get their feet wet, they say, "I will do this for $200." When it would normally cost $1500. But they are unsure of their skills and may bolocks the job.

Problem is, they do well and the client sets their standard of work at that price point. Other work comes in and they see that their associate only paid x for the same amount of work. Why should they pay more?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1