10 Replies - 1932 Views - Last Post: 22 April 2015 - 08:47 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Degree neccessary?

Posted 20 April 2015 - 02:21 AM

Hey there,
My current situation: 18 years of age and have been developing web pages for around 6 years now with around 4 years industry experience some of which are larger companies, however; i was wondering whether you all think that a degree in I.T. would really be neccessary in the industry or would employers look at experience more? I just find that university is a large time constraint for me and i believe i can advance quite well without it due to self teaching. Alot of people say its better to undertake a uni course because of the backup it has for you. I also get quite a few full time job offers but im unable to accept them.. What are your thoughts? Degree + Experience or to focus on experience?

This post has been edited by OliverKuchies: 20 April 2015 - 02:30 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Degree neccessary?

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Degree neccessary?

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:17 AM

This has been asked a number of times before. How is it you have 4 years experience working as a programmer for companies when you are 18 though?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:33 AM

View Postastonecipher, on 20 April 2015 - 04:17 AM, said:

This has been asked a number of times before. How is it you have 4 years experience working as a programmer for companies when you are 18 though?

Great question, I've been freelancing for quite a while now. I was quite lucky to be brought up in a family where my parents had a large amount of contacts to a large range of business owners. I started on a really generic website when I was around 13-14ish which was based on HTML and CSS, because our family friend trusted me and he wanted to give me a go. Since then i've been developing for a few websites including travel website, a property investment website as-well as my own projects. I was so keen on websites when I was younger so during the years I have been self teaching myself to design / develop.

So yeah, i just finished high school and am in the middle of my first year of uni. But now my mind's spinning and i'm trying to decide whether to get into business, work for someone, or to get a degree then worry about the rest

This post has been edited by OliverKuchies: 20 April 2015 - 04:48 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:45 AM

If it is a possibility, work full time and go to school part time. While I don't always agree with what is taught, it gives you a chance to network and possibly expand your horizons.

Make sure you have the work you have done in a portfolio. Any work you have completed, did not happen unless the person you are talking to can see it too.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:10 AM

I can tell you, from starting in a similar position as you, there are some companies that won't even look at your resume unless you have a degree.

For that reason alone, I would suggest getting one. I don't always agree with what is being taught in schools, or that it is the most useful, but there are folks out there that absolutely need the hand holding and as a result the world has decided that everyone needs it.

With your level of experience, you shouldn't have a problem finding an internship, or continuing to work during your college career and it will overall be useful in the future.

College is also not all about learning how to do well in your field, but more about learning how to learn and how to get along on your own. The amount of freedom that you are likely to have during those years is likely more than you have ever had before. So that is more what I would say is useful about the college experience: learning how to manage your time effectively and still have a life.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:35 AM

I work for IBM and I don't have a degree. It can be done.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:41 PM

on the other hand, I am working as a contractor on a job FAR below my abilities and skill levels as a foot in the door, because the company won't even look at me without a degree. It sucks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2015 - 04:46 PM

A lot of people look at a degree as vocational training. If you already have work experience, I would look at college as a way to sharpen your tool sets. Find a major that complements your skill set and forces you to grow/improve. This helps you diversify, as well as find an application area for your CS/IT skills. Potential employers love to see personal projects and passion. If you are really into computational biology, do projects related to that. If you're into operations research, work on projects related to that.

Big Data is also becoming increasingly demanded in the job field. It's very technical and mathematical, so getting up to speed on your linear algebra, graph theory, algorithms, and statistics can prepare you to do fun work and make good money in a new field. It's easier to get up to speed with these things in college than on your own time.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#9 no2pencil   User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2015 - 04:56 PM

No one scenario fits all situations.

Is it possible : yes, anything is possible
Is it required : no, a degree is not required

Landing a job is more difficult without a degree, but it's also difficult if you have a degree & don't know what you are doing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:43 PM

Where are you located? Are you considering relocation?

Try a no-degree route in the Midwest and you're screwed, period. It's so completely inadvisable that without one you're instantly nixed from consideration, often times even if you have a lot of experience aside.

Go out to San Francisco / LA and people want to see what you can do and for the most part could care less about degrees. I've even seen High School drop outs slinging code around here, it's not uncommon. My partner at Sony didn't even go to College. Of course she's thinking of going now to fill in knowledge gaps, but that's a different matter.

Aside pro tip: local web design does not count for crackers on professional experience, whether or not that hurts feelings. They expect real world team enterprisy experience, whether or not that seems fair is irrelevant. I've found that out the hard way.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:47 PM

Cool! Appreciate the responses guys. Thanks! (Y)

View PostLemur, on 22 April 2015 - 08:43 PM, said:

Where are you located? Are you considering relocation?

I'm from Australia
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1