11 Replies - 2399 Views - Last Post: 12 July 2015 - 10:38 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is html/css enough to get a job?

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:09 AM

Hi guys!

I don't know, whether it's enough to know "html" and "css" to get a job in your country as web developer or not, but in my country, Georgia, it's not enough.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is html/css enough to get a job?

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is html/css enough to get a job?

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:21 AM

** Topic moved to corner cubicle **

One must realize that real life is not like a video game. Learning any language does not automatically make you qualified for a job. It comes down to can you use your toolset to make money for the company. Are you a better candidate than the others?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:24 AM

It depends what you are after and what you want as well. Although they are used interchangeably, web developer and web designer, is not the same thing. Html, css, and layout/ graphics tools are enough to be a web designer.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for your responses! Could you tell me where you work currently? Just curious...:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:20 AM

I work as a web developer focusing on the back-end for national media systems, where is irrelevant.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:35 PM

I don't know too many people who's skillset starts and stops at HTML+CSS. Most people who would know those would also know the basics of Javascript, hopefully. That could be enough to get a job, particularly at a place that already has a developer who's design skills aren't great.

Developers and designers can work hand in hand, with the developer "making it work", and the designer "making it pretty". But a designer is, these days, typically pointless without a developer, because hardly anyone uses static websites anymore. It's not enough to be able to design it, you have to be able to wire it up, connect it to a database, and make it do useful things. This need is obviated a bit by premade solutions like WordPress that allows for non-developers to get a dynamic site up and running with plugins instead of coding. But generally for custom sites without using a CMS, you need someone who knows a server-side language/framework, like ASP.NET, PHP, Ruby on Rails, Django, Perl ( :D ), etc...

Personally, I'd say learn some real programming. That's not to say that HTML/CSS are skills not worth having, but they don't meet the definition of "programming languages", since they don't do anything, they describe layout and design rather than functionality. This can help you build fully functional sites, rather than just designing for other sites.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:31 AM

I'm sure it's possible, but practically speaking, it would be very hard to find someone who will pay you for a static web site.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:15 AM

Self answering question is self answered by OP in opening post. What's the point of this topic exactly now?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:28 AM

@Lemur:
OP seems to be asking about other countries aside from theirs.

Is html/css enough to get a job?

Study back-end and databases (or team up with someone who can). HTML/CSS-only skill is very limited.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:20 AM

Simply ask yourself, in what way are you better than the other guys who apply for the job? Even if the job solely requires HTML, someone knowing PHP / databases / etc. will have higher chances of landing the job, as they have value-added skills that compliment their current experience. Especially with the growing number of WYSIWYG editors, time to pick up some PHP!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:03 PM

At the very least you should add Javascript to your repertoire. You can't do much with static pages these days.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:38 AM

It is not enough even if all you want to do the rest of your life is build websites.
It is the most basic language you have to know but you should also know PHP, Javascript and other programming languages to be able to compete with other programmers and be able to build a good site. Also, you should know how to use different CMS and database.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1