codeacademy vs learn the hard way vs Online degree

  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

41 Replies - 5461 Views - Last Post: 15 May 2015 - 07:54 AM

#1 Isidore   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 3
  • View blog
  • Posts: 15
  • Joined: 25-April 15

codeacademy vs learn the hard way vs Online degree

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:09 AM

Hey guys I am new to writing code and want to break into it.

I went to a university and got my degree in history with a minor in economics and an Master of Business Administration.

I am one of those guys that love to consume knowledge and I want to get into writing code and perhaps go start a career path in it. I had always been interested in learning to code but chose the history path while in school then got my MBA. Presently I am working part time at a small company as an assistant controller. In addition to handling finances they have me doing several other jobs giving me any task that needs to be done ASAP. Recently my boss asked me if i know how to code as well as develop websites. So I decided to explore an old interest.

I Got on codeacademy.com and leaning some code there. I flew through the HTML/CSS class in less than a week and have started on the python class.

Now that I got a taste of it I would love to learn more. I was wondering if I were to really shoot for getting a job in web development Programing or an IT field in some other type.

Can I learn everything on my own? If so is codeacademy a good resource or is learn the hard way better?
Also if I need a degree what is a good online school for Information Technology? Is CTU Good.

My Friend told me that at this point in my career when it comes to Web design and web development I should be able to pretty much be able to learn it on my own and just let my body of work speak for itself. The degree would be a waste of time and money especially if I was to do freelance work or work for the company i am already employed. He said If I really wanted to get a certificate or associates at most.
However, He told me that if it turns out i prefer programing or other areas of IT and want to get into computer science I need to get a degree.

However I would like you opinion?

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: codeacademy vs learn the hard way vs Online degree

#2 modi123_1   User is online

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 14924
  • View blog
  • Posts: 59,580
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: codeacademy vs learn the hard way vs Online degree

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:19 AM

Quote

Can I learn everything on my own?

Certainly you can.

Quote

If so is codeacademy a good resource or is learn the hard way better?

It's not bad.

Quote

My Friend told me that at this point in my career when it comes to Web design and web development I should be able to pretty much be able to learn it on my own and just let my body of work speak for itself.

Your friend may or may not be right, but you already have a degree and an MBA so that will help assuage HR concerns about degreeless applications.. though, if it were me in the HR seat, a resume with: history degree, economics minor, and a MBA with only part time experience as an 'assistant controller' I would be a little leery on how scatter shot the approach seems.

Quote

However I would like you opinion?

I would advocate looking at all the other threads that are similar to this as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#3 tlhIn`toq   User is offline

  • Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

Reputation: 6535
  • View blog
  • Posts: 14,450
  • Joined: 02-June 10

Re: codeacademy vs learn the hard way vs Online degree

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:26 AM

http://www.dreaminco...ost__p__2143889


Quote

I went to a university and got my degree in history
So you're currently a Starbucks barista? <just kidding, kinda>

Now days a web site is very little HTML. So much of it is about the database back end... the eCommerce shopping cart... Web apps... Does it recognize the user's platform and display well on a 24" PC monitor and a 4" smartphone and a 10" tablet... etc. etc.

Quote

let my body of work speak for itself.

Well what is your body of work? Have you built any commercial-grade web sites?

Quote

However, He told me that if it turns out i prefer programing or other areas of IT

So you really don't know what you want to do for a living yet. Is that what I'm reading? So so so so often we hear "I want to learn to code" but the person has no idea WHAT they want to code. Games, digital door locks, security systems, automotive electronics, traffic management systems... Start by figuring out what you want to do, THEN look at the requirements of the field you want to work in.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 14924
  • View blog
  • Posts: 59,580
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: codeacademy vs learn the hard way vs Online degree

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:27 AM

@tlhn - don't forget death bots and terminators. (It's a forward focused career)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 Isidore   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 3
  • View blog
  • Posts: 15
  • Joined: 25-April 15

Re: codeacademy vs learn the hard way vs Online degree

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:33 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 27 April 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:

Quote

Can I learn everything on my own?

Certainly you can.

Quote

If so is codeacademy a good resource or is learn the hard way better?

It's not bad.

Quote

My Friend told me that at this point in my career when it comes to Web design and web development I should be able to pretty much be able to learn it on my own and just let my body of work speak for itself.

Your friend may or may not be right, but you already have a degree and an MBA so that will help assuage HR concerns about degreeless applications.. though, if it were me in the HR seat, a resume with: history degree, economics minor, and a MBA with only part time experience as an 'assistant controller' I would be a little leery on how scatter shot the approach seems.

Quote

However I would like you opinion?

I would advocate looking at all the other threads that are similar to this as well.


Thank You for the reply. I appreciate it.

What do you think if I go into more of a computer science roll like programer or software development of something to that nature. Should I go for a degree in that field?

FYI I do have more experience as an HR intern and as a Business analyst for a bigger corporation company
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 tlhIn`toq   User is offline

  • Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

Reputation: 6535
  • View blog
  • Posts: 14,450
  • Joined: 02-June 10

Re: codeacademy vs learn the hard way vs Online degree

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:37 AM

I'm going to suggest the US Army. It really sounds like you've no/little idea what you want to do, but you want to be TOLD what to do. US Army might give you some direction and a feel for what you want to be when you grow up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1   User is online

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 14924
  • View blog
  • Posts: 59,580
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: codeacademy vs learn the hard way vs Online degree

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:46 AM

Comp sci is more the theory behind computers and computer-esque things. Programming is a facet, but not everything.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#8 Isidore   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 3
  • View blog
  • Posts: 15
  • Joined: 25-April 15

Re: codeacademy vs learn the hard way vs Online degree

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:04 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 27 April 2015 - 09:26 AM, said:

http://www.dreaminco...ost__p__2143889


Quote

I went to a university and got my degree in history
So you're currently a Starbucks barista? <just kidding, kinda>

Now days a web site is very little HTML. So much of it is about the database back end... the eCommerce shopping cart... Web apps... Does it recognize the user's platform and display well on a 24" PC monitor and a 4" smartphone and a 10" tablet... etc. etc.

Quote

let my body of work speak for itself.

Well what is your body of work? Have you built any commercial-grade web sites?

Quote

However, He told me that if it turns out i prefer programing or other areas of IT

So you really don't know what you want to do for a living yet. Is that what I'm reading? So so so so often we hear "I want to learn to code" but the person has no idea WHAT they want to code. Games, digital door locks, security systems, automotive electronics, traffic management systems... Start by figuring out what you want to do, THEN look at the requirements of the field you want to work in.

Lol

I went into school planning for a double major in history and economics then get an MBA by last semester of undergrad we found that I was 2 classes away from my econ major but they could not be take at the same time so it would take another semester to graduate so we decided to settle for just the history major and jump into the MBA the next semester.

I have not built a body of work yet as I am trying to select the correct path. We were talking about if I decide to go down that path. As I said trying to decide if decide down that path.

I am just trying to weigh the cost benefit here before I decide on a path (as an econ guy I do that, probably too much.)

If I go in to more of a computer science roll I would want to go in to either software development (Not games) or into a cyber security roll. However I have not completely ruled out Systems analyst.

What i am leaning to is an online degree in IT with a specialization in either programing or security while teaching Web development to myself. But I am trying to decide if It would be more lucrative to get an associates in Web development or I can just teach myself and start a career there.

I guess once I complete the Python class on codeacademy in the next year it will become a little more clear to me

thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 Isidore   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 3
  • View blog
  • Posts: 15
  • Joined: 25-April 15

Re: codeacademy vs learn the hard way vs Online degree

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:10 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 27 April 2015 - 09:37 AM, said:

I'm going to suggest the US Army. It really sounds like you've no/little idea what you want to do, but you want to be TOLD what to do. US Army might give you some direction and a feel for what you want to be when you grow up.

this couldnt be farther from the truth I hate being told what to do. I just like to get all the information I can so I can make an informed decision.

I hate false knowledge and wasting time I would hate to have found out I wasting my time with codeacademy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 cfoley   User is offline

  • Cabbage
  • member icon

Reputation: 2391
  • View blog
  • Posts: 5,021
  • Joined: 11-December 07

Re: codeacademy vs learn the hard way vs Online degree

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:43 PM

Well, a degree has a few things going for it:

* A guided curriculum

However, a lot of institutions post their curriculum online along with recommended texts. Some even post lecture notes.

* Expert teachers

Computer-related fields have the advantage of a disproportional number of online help sites DIC is just one of many and advice can be sought from them.

* Peers learning the same stuff as you

This is difficult to reproduce and is a genuine benefit of going to university. However, you are suggesting online degrees so you wouldn't be getting this in a much-diluted form.

* Feedback on your performance

The great thing about programming is you can run your code and see if it works. If the computer dances the way you want it to then you can see your own success. For matters of style, you can ask online for advice.

* Equipment to use for your practical work.

Most people have their own computers so this is less important.

* A certificateat the end showing how good you are.

Again, programming prodices something that demonstrates your skills. This is far more valuable than a piece of paper.

At the end of the day, it comes down to what you want to do. A degree has the security of the commonly trodden path but programming is a fied where you can choose your own way and demonstrate your skills.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#11 macosxnerd101   User is offline

  • Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon




Reputation: 12556
  • View blog
  • Posts: 45,682
  • Joined: 27-December 08

Re: codeacademy vs learn the hard way vs Online degree

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:36 PM

Code Academy is near-worthless, in my opinion. It's great for learning syntax, but it is very misleading for newbies. It makes them think that syntax == programming. This just isn't the case. Programming is much more about logic than syntax. Make sure you're implementing to solutions to problems, and that you're coming up with these solutions. This is how you learn, not by going through syntax exercises on Code Academy.

My advice is to take a class or two in person so you can get the benefits cfoley explained. Then you should have enough experience to pick up a book and fill in wholes.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#12 Isidore   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 3
  • View blog
  • Posts: 15
  • Joined: 25-April 15

Re: codeacademy vs learn the hard way vs Online degree

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:00 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 27 April 2015 - 07:36 PM, said:

Code Academy is near-worthless, in my opinion. It's great for learning syntax, but it is very misleading for newbies. It makes them think that syntax == programming. This just isn't the case. Programming is much more about logic than syntax. Make sure you're implementing to solutions to problems, and that you're coming up with these solutions. This is how you learn, not by going through syntax exercises on Code Academy.

My advice is to take a class or two in person so you can get the benefits cfoley explained. Then you should have enough experience to pick up a book and fill in wholes.


Thanks

Right Code Academy teaches us the "language" but just like in English where just because we know words doesn't mean we can write a great research paper or give a great speech. just because we know the syntax, it doesn't mean we know how to apply it.

Is CTU online IT degrees considered good or is there a better place?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 macosxnerd101   User is offline

  • Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon




Reputation: 12556
  • View blog
  • Posts: 45,682
  • Joined: 27-December 08

Re: codeacademy vs learn the hard way vs Online degree

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:10 PM

I'd personally avoid schools that offer online degree programs. I think you'll be wasting your money. Plus, you already have a Bachelor's degree plus an MBA. I'd take maybe a class on Intro to Programming followed by a Data Structures I class at community college. These courses will get you up to speed well enough that you can pick up what you need afterwards, provided you put in the effort with the coursework.

Alternatively, find a MOOC or follow along with MIT's Open Course Ware. You'll get the same education from these as from an online school (arguably better), and you'll be getting them for free. Either way, to get anything out of an online program, you need to be disciplined to work through the material.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#14 Isidore   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 3
  • View blog
  • Posts: 15
  • Joined: 25-April 15

Re: codeacademy vs learn the hard way vs Online degree

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:14 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 27 April 2015 - 10:10 PM, said:

I'd personally avoid schools that offer online degree programs. I think you'll be wasting your money. Plus, you already have a Bachelor's degree plus an MBA. I'd take maybe a class on Intro to Programming followed by a Data Structures I class at community college. These courses will get you up to speed well enough that you can pick up what you need afterwards, provided you put in the effort with the coursework.

Alternatively, find a MOOC or follow along with MIT's Open Course Ware. You'll get the same education from these as from an online school (arguably better), and you'll be getting them for free. Either way, to get anything out of an online program, you need to be disciplined to work through the material.


Ok Great thanks man I will look into it.

Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 kathy025   User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 41
  • View blog
  • Posts: 190
  • Joined: 19-December 14

Re: codeacademy vs learn the hard way vs Online degree

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:56 AM

Get a Bachelor's Degree if you're serious about making a career out of it. :)

At least that's how it works in my country. All serious programming jobs require a degree, preferably not online.

This post has been edited by kathy025: 28 April 2015 - 09:43 AM

Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3