5 Replies - 779 Views - Last Post: 03 May 2015 - 03:41 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need some guidance

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:31 AM

I feel like there is no single answer to what I am about to ask, as it is really a very general question. However I do not know enough to ask for any specifics, hoping to be pointed in the right directions. I know there are already tons of info out there for people to get into the industry, but I feel like my situation needs direct answers.

I am a soon to be 29 year old. I suffer from social phobia and depression since high school, so I am pretty much a loner with no connections. I received my Bachelors of Arts in Computer Science back in 2010. I have zero experience in the field. I am currently working in an office job that I hate since my first day. I really wish to change my life, and enter the field.

The only coding I know is in C++, and getting rusty already. I do not mind starting over, but I honestly have no clue how to approach the field. There are just so many different languages which branch further away.

I know a lot of what to do next depends on where my interest is in the field, and where I want to go, but that is exactly what I do not know. I have asked this before in a different forum, but the answers did not get me anywhere. Hoping with my background above, people can get an idea of where I am at, and would be able to answer my below still very general questions.

Is there any coding language I should focus on? What should I be doing to help me get started in the field?

Thank you for reading.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need some guidance

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need some guidance

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:35 AM

I received my Bachelors of Arts in Computer Science back in 2010. I have zero experience in the field. I am currently working in an office job that I hate since my first day.

Why haven't you applied your degree in five years?

Is there any coding language I should focus on?

If you want a job in your area I would suggest seeing what the job boards, help wanted ads, and local recruiters say. Different areas tend to pop with different needs.

What should I be doing to help me get started in the field?

Kick the rust off your skills. Design some projects. Implement the projects.. toss the cleaned up code on something like github for interviewers to see. Prove your chops.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:25 AM

You work in an office job, right?
so learn a programming language that is related to your Job.for example if the company you work does not have a website(or it is not pretty),learn Web Development.
another suggestion is you should learn how to create apps for mobile devices because it's used every where nowadays.
remember,"it's never too late to learn" my friend.so buy books,have some online studies etc.learn and learn and learn.that's the key to happiness.

i hope i helped you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:56 PM

Every time someone asks "What language should I learn?" here the advice usually comes down to the same thing:
Look at the requirements for what you want to do then learn that.
If you want to program Macintosh games its an entirely different set of languages and IDE than if you wanted to get into embedded systems for the automotive industry. There is no such thing as "just a programmer". Do you want to make web apps, hard drive controllers, motion control systems, office suites, user control frameworks for other developers to put in their programs. [...] ?

I know a lot of what to do next depends on where my interest is in the field, and where I want to go, but that is exactly what I do not know.
Blunty: How the heck are we supposed to tell you what to do if you are clueless about what you want to with your own life? I mean, honestly, you're just a bunch of text on a screen to us. Presumably you're around yourself nearly all the time and you don't know what you like? You don't know if you like photography? You don't know if you like insects? How would we know any better?

I suffer from social phobia and depression since high school, so I am pretty much a loner with no connections.
Get over yourself. In my day that was called being a nerd. How do you think we all wound up programmers in the first place... Because of our amazing social skills? No. Because we do better talking to computers than people. Don't let someone else label you or give you some new-age condition because it gives them another 'sufferer' to put in a program to justify their own job. Hell people with real diseases fight them and say "I have cancer, it doesn't have me" - I'm sure you can do the same.

I know there are already tons of info out there for people to get into the industry, but I feel like my situation needs direct answers.
Frankly your post sounds like most of the kids I see here these days. "I know this has been asked before, but I need a special set of answers just for me because I'm a unique little snowflake." Quit thinking the world needs to cater to you because you're special. You're not. You're one of 380 million Americans, or 1 of 7 billion people on this planet.

My personal opinion is to quit focusing on all the reason you can't. Quit whining. Quit looking for excuses. "I can't do it because i have this condition. I need special consideration because of this new disorder someone just made up in the last 20 years." Your bosses don't want to hear that crap. Prospective employers that go researching your social media presence are going to look at all that and say *pass* before your first interview. So quit looking for excuses why you can't and start focusing on what you can. I'm sure you have skills. You managed to get a degree so you can't say you're uneducated or unable to survive in the world because you've proven otherwise. You can do it. Accept it. You are capable. Attitude is a choice: You need to choose to accept that you're just like the rest of us and you really do have to go out in the world and earn a living and make an effort to enjoy your life.

I heard a good line the other day: Its not the amount of years in your life, its the amount of life in your years. So start living your life.

Maybe a change of perspective could help. How bad off are you really?
  • Are you trying to find a job, any job, just to put food on the table for your wife and hungry kids? No. So already better than a lot of people on food stamps getting assistance from 'feed the needy' programs.
  • Do you have a roof over your head? Probably. So better than a lot of people living in shelters.
  • You have a job. You just don't like it. Boo hoo. I'm sure a couple million coal miners out there aren't doing cartwheels over their career prospects either. At least you're in a clean climate-controlled office. People for generations did/do jobs they don't love because its called "working for a living".
  • Social phobia. Is that even a real thing? Are you ducking for cover every time you hear a loud noise like a couple hundred thousand returning vets? If they can get past their PTSD and join the world I think you can too.
  • Did you loose your legs to an IED?
  • Did you get burned over 80% of your body in a house fire?
  • Did your family all die in a freak wood-chipper incident?
  • Are you that 12 year old girl that lost her entire family in a plane crash then walked 2 miles to get help?
  • Yeah, that's what I thought. So what the f**k do you have to be depressed about?
Are you seeing my point here? There are lots of people that have far more real and severe problems and they're finding ways to live their lives, make decisions, and be responsible for the direction of their lives. Maybe if you keep thinking about how much worse it could be then your own situation wouldn't seem so dire.

Be a grown up, strap on a pair and pick an area of interest. Then learn what you need to learn to make a living at it. If you are really so lost that you have no idea who you are or what you want to be when you grow up... Join the US Army. They'll grow you up and teach you a trade at the same time.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 04 May 2015 - 04:55 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:37 PM

Learn python or other languages and make videogames
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:41 PM

Why does it have to be Python and why does it have to be video games? If one makes a great application and includes the source code as part of the portfolio item, then that's fine. But every newbie wants to make the next big video game. So video game projects don't really set anyone apart unless they are done well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1