• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 845 Views - Last Post: 25 May 2015 - 02:50 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Girl newbie

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:00 AM

Hello World,

Just thought I'd say hi and nice to meet you. I'm 20 something girl from the UK and new to Web Development/ Programming, but really enjoying it and hope to learn a lot in the coming months/years.

Here you go:

Name:itsinthedetails
Education: modern languages degree (Speak French and Spanish now studying the other types of language ;)/> )
Programming Languages: HTML / CSS / Javascript - all Basic level
Years Programming/Designing: 1 month.
Hobbies/Interests: Studying Javascript and practising yoga and running.
If I Could Have One Superhuman Ability, It Would Be: A USB socket for uploading knowledge.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Girl newbie

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Girl newbie

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:25 AM

Posted ImagePosted Image

View Postitsinthedetails, on 16 May 2015 - 10:00 AM, said:

Hello World,

Hello "itsinthedetails". Welcome.

Just thought I'd say hi and nice to meet you. I'm 20 something girl from the UK and new to Web Development/ Programming, but really enjoying it and hope to learn a lot in the coming months/years.

This forum is the right place for that.

Here you go:

Name:itsinthedetails
Education: modern languages degree (Speak French and Spanish now studying the other types of language ;))

I'm a native Spanish speaker.

Did you study linguistics? I once got interested in such a topic during a time when I intended to develop a fictional story world and wanted a conlang. Godspeech (natively called "Obulamga"[ˈɔbuˌlamga])was the result of that effort. Along the way, I learned a bit of linguistics.

Programming Languages: HTML / CSS / Javascript - all Basic level

Do you intend to build your own website? Or rather do you want to work as a web developer?

Years Programming/Designing: 1 month.
Hobbies/Interests: Studying Javascript and practising yoga and running.
If I Could Have One Superhuman Ability, It Would Be: A USB socket for uploading knowledge.

That'd make it very easy. :)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageEnjoy your stay!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2015 - 02:33 AM

Hi Betsemes,

Thanks for replying.

Mucho gusto de conocerte. De donde eres?

I studied a few linguistics modules at university. It's an interesting subject. I find programming languages to be very like normal languages - you learn the vocab, grammar and syntax and also often there is an element of culture in each one too depending on its use.

I would like to learn how to build my own website, but i think my long term goal is development. I'm also interested in design, but server-side coding is what ultimately interests me. I'm learning html/css/javascript as a base and not sure where to go after. Java/ASP.NET/Ruby ? Everyone seems to have a different opinion. Any advice would be appreciated.

What area do you work in?

:D/>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Member Title
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:10 AM

Hello and welcome itsinthedetails

I think there is a few UK developers here so it shouldn't be too bad xD

This site has helped me improve my coding style and I hope you find the same.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:13 AM

hello! I'm new here too, hope, we'll enjoy the resource!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:29 AM

Hey itsinthedetails,

I'm also new to DIC/programming, and just like you I've started with HTML/CSS/Javascript :turned:

I also have an interest in natural languages.. I speak portuguese (mother tongue), english, a little bit of spanish and now I'm working on learning french (Memrise/duolinguo/watching "the intouchables" over and over again), for I am going to visit Paris in July :frenchy:

Anyway, Welcome to Dream In Code (after a while you'll start to actually dream in code xD)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:44 AM

View Postitsinthedetails, on 17 May 2015 - 05:33 AM, said:

Hi Betsemes,

Thanks for replying.

Mucho gusto de conocerte. De donde eres?

Nací en Puerto Rico y he vivido toda mi vida aquí.

I studied a few linguistics modules at university. It's an interesting subject. I find programming languages to be very like normal languages - you learn the vocab, grammar and syntax and also often there is an element of culture in each one too depending on its use.

I found it fascinating how natural languages and culture are tightly bound together. There is a conlang (a family of conlangs to be precise) that was developed to be culturally independent. That goal is a failure, you can see how they are influenced by the cultures of the ones who developed them. I studied Lojban for a while. One of the primitives on that language is "merko" meaning "x1 pertains to USA/American culture/nationality/dialect in aspect x2." The word obviously comes from "America". How do you reconcile this meaning of "America" with the older, and still in use, usage in latin american countries? The word is culturally biased obviously.

I would like to learn how to build my own website, but i think my long term goal is development. I'm also interested in design, but server-side coding is what ultimately interests me. I'm learning html/css/javascript as a base and not sure where to go after. Java/ASP.NET/Ruby ? Everyone seems to have a different opinion. Any advice would be appreciated.

As long as I know, there is no definite answer. You may use almost any language to code almost anything.

What area do you work in?

:D

I might describe myself as an independent software developer. I studied Mathematics and Computer Science back in the 80's, but never worked as a software developer. So, I'm currently studying XML and XSD, as I develop mXBL. I have a personal project that I envision to become commercial once it is ready. However, I have to learn C++ along the way.

By the way, mXBL is the codename for the file format I'll be using in my program. I didn't take notes on what does it mean, and I cannot remember what the "B" stands for.

This post has been edited by Betsemes: 17 May 2015 - 08:45 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:34 PM

Hi, I'm girl newbie too. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:59 AM

Hello & welcome to dreamincode.net!

It's nice to know I'm not the only girl who uses this website. I was worried there for awhile.

I find programming languages to be very like normal languages - you learn the vocab, grammar and syntax and also often there is an element of culture in each one too depending on its use.

I also found the same thing when I was first learning programming! However, there is something important to keep in mind: with a programming language, you are talking to a computer, not a human. And in the final analysis, computers are actually quite dumb. Which is why I found that while the initial learning curve to learning programming is steep, once you have learned one imperative programming language, all others can be learned very easily since they all work in about the same way.

Best of luck to you,

~buerge
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:48 AM

Welcome everyone who is new and chimed in!

@buer - You'll be surprised how many folk are women here. Not everyone is advertising their gender (or even advertising it as expected). ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:38 AM

View PostBetsemes, on 17 May 2015 - 11:44 AM, said:

By the way, mXBL is the codename for the file format I'll be using in my program. I didn't take notes on what does it mean, and I cannot remember what the "B" stands for.

I remembered. mXBL stands for "my XML Based Language". Quite boring, but it's not the actual name.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:52 AM

Wow. The girls are coming out the woodwork now! Welcome, ladies!

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#13 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:54 AM

View Postitsinthedetails, on 17 May 2015 - 04:33 AM, said:

I would like to learn how to build my own website, but i think my long term goal is development. I'm also interested in design, but server-side coding is what ultimately interests me.

The two languages that I'd point you to would be Python and Ruby. Both are serious languages with very good web frameworks (django for python and rails for ruby). As far as I can tell, this is really the future of serious web development. Your other choice is going to be CMS-jockey stuff, plugging things into Wordpress and so forth, which is less like fun.

I work mostly in python and django at the moment, for my day job and also on my side project, but I have a lot of friends in the ruby world and I'm kind of watching what they do and stealing their tricks as best I can - and they're stealing mine. So I think it's worth being a polyglot in this regard.

If you want to do this well, I would also suggest you take the trouble to learn the basics of computer science. There's a lot there that will help you as you go along, and - bonus! - it's great fun.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:56 AM

itsinthedetails

Welcome I am from the UK too

If you work hard you can definitely get to where you want to be.
Learn the language help yourself then help others.

There are plenty of great girl programmers here already dive in make friends and enjoy yourself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:28 AM

Hey!

If I were teaching somebody web-development today, my choice of language would be Python with one of the micro frameworks, like Flask. Django is great, but it's not as simple as I'd like for a beginner. It's an easy transition from the micro frameworks to that, though, when you get to that point.

You can of course always look into some of the old giants, like PHP, ASP.NET and Java. But I wouldn't consider any of them very interesting first choices. (Especially Java.) Good for landing jobs, though, if you plan on that.

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 19 May 2015 - 04:54 PM, said:

The two languages that I'd point you to would be Python and Ruby. Both are serious languages with very good web frameworks (django for python and rails for ruby). As far as I can tell, this is really the future of serious web development.

I would add Node.js to that list as well. It's somewhat of a favourite when it comes to WebSockets, which is going to be everywhere soon enough. Doesn't hurt either that with it you can use the same language on both sides, so a certain degree of code sharing can happen. - And there are of course plenty of HTTP frameworks for it as well. (Express is a good one.)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +