7 Replies - 3206 Views - Last Post: 16 June 2015 - 11:09 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to create a mind map solution in Visual Basic (Visual Studio 2013)

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:01 AM

For some time I have been using my huge custom built database in MS Access and also an online Mindmap solution (Mindomo).

I would like to create my own in Visual Basic. I've been searching online and cannot find anything.

I already have the tables and fields setup in MS Access but would like to create a better interface.

Thanks in advance! :D

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to create a mind map solution in Visual Basic (Visual Studio 2013)

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to create a mind map solution in Visual Basic (Visual Studio 2013)

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:07 AM

You would figure you would start on defining custom shape objects that have text.. respond to a drag/drop.. etc.. and being able to connect objects by lines..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:32 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 08 June 2015 - 09:07 AM, said:

You would figure you would start on defining custom shape objects that have text.. respond to a drag/drop.. etc.. and being able to connect objects by lines..

Thanks for your speedy response. :-)

Do you know of any guides or templates?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:36 AM

I would advocate writing your own design down, what you need, what is imperative, what can wait, how this should work, etc and using that as a guide or template.

Eventually you'll find yourself looking to program things that do not have a tutorial or someone to hold your hand. When that happens, and it will happen, you need to hitch up your pants, put on a good pair of boots, and dive off the beaten path to make your own way with the tools, knowledge, and skills you have acquired.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:51 PM

I completely agree but I am very new to this. Years ago I made a huge app in VB but at the time had no idea how to build a database.

Now it's the other way around.

Playing around building interfaces is easy. But I was used to simply dragging and dropping labels and text boxes and all types of other controls.

I have no idea how to go about this particular task, lol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:58 PM

*shrug* Then you need to get over what you were used to doing with a drag and drop interface. You also need to start planning and stop wringing your hands while exclaiming you have "no idea how to go about this task". Designing does not mean you need to know the specifics while writing the doc, but instead are focusing on the concepts so you know what you will need to build.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:24 AM

*reverse shrug* lol.

I already have the concept. All the mindmap attributes are designed (ironically in a mindmap). Things like how long should branches be, where they should be. Storing data like font, size, color, notes, icons, etc are all very easy to store in a database.

My design and concepts are going very well. I already have about 250 ideas within this part of my mindmap which I am using to explore ideas and encourage new ideas.

What I do not have is a method for painting all this on the screen. I could wander around blindly or I could follow someones advice. I would prefer the latter.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:09 AM

Riight. 250 mission critical components? If it were me then I would start with the critical parts - can I draw a shape on a screen? What sort of shapes? What are the key components of a shape (size, location, text, connection points, etc)? Those seem like two big issues, and then I would start from there. In fact I believe I did that a week ago when you last posted and came up with a rough, but usable, test project.

Okay.. sure, but we'll go with that. As I said in my first reply - custom shapes. Be it something you have predefined in a user interface, or in a class using the 'Graphics' object to 'draw elipse/square/line'.. etc.

Winforms has a 'paint' event. Override it, examine the graphics object. See how to paint/refresh. Since I've gone this far - then you can decide to draw multiple shapes by holding the custom shapes in a collection.. the same with the lines.. also you are responsible to define where the line connection points are.. etc.

WPF does it differently.

"msdn vb.net how to draw shapes"

https://msdn.microso...=vs.110%29.aspx
https://msdn.microso...=vs.110%29.aspx
http://www.dreaminco...bberband-shape/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1