6 Replies - 481 Views - Last Post: 12 June 2015 - 08:41 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

New Coder

Posted 11 June 2015 - 03:58 PM

Hey guys,

I am starting college soon (BS Computer Science), although I have not started any programming classes I figured I would get a head start! So far I have been reading a few books and I plan on starting with BASIC. I am not having much luck finding a BASIC program for Mac OS X with a tutorial, but I am sure I will find one.

Other than that, I am military, I will not be posting any homework questions and I hope to learn a lot from you guys. I will refrain from posting until I have something to contribute; I do not plan on being a leech. I am just going to sit back, watch and learn.

That being said, any references you guys could offer for me to read (I love reading) would be great!
Newbie tutorials - books etc.

Thanks guys.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New Coder

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New Coder

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:25 PM

Welcome to Dream.in.Code, IronCoder31! We are excited to have you as part of the community. :)

I am starting college soon (BS Computer Science), although I have not started any programming classes I figured I would get a head start! So far I have been reading a few books and I plan on starting with BASIC. I am not having much luck finding a BASIC program for Mac OS X with a tutorial, but I am sure I will find one.

I would suggest looking at the Intro to Programming class at the school you will be attending and start with whatever language is being taught. It's important that you learn how to program first in one language. So investing your time in BASIC then having to switch to another language is going to result in wasted effort. Conversely, starting with the language being taught at your school will give you a head start in the class.

Many of our forums have Learning Series and Getting Started resource threads that are pinned at the top. Those are great places to start once you decide on a language.

I will not be posting any homework questions and I hope to learn a lot from you guys. I will refrain from posting until I have something to contribute; I do not plan on being a leech. I am just going to sit back, watch and learn.

Programming isn't a spectator sport, and you don't learn except by doing. Talking about your problems, projects, and thoughts with others is a great way to learn. Don't feel like you are leeching by asking questions. After all- Dream.in.Code is about community learning.

Other than that, I am military,

Let me just say- thank you for your service.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice, I appreciate it.

My course says the following: Introduction to Programming: This course introduces students to algorithmic design and structured/modular programming. Programming concepts will be put into practice by using Java for programming projects.

I guess I will be learning Java first! It seems kind of weird that they choose this language as a first (I would expect C), but it is a good staring point. Thanks for the pointer.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:40 PM

Java is a very good first language - at least, it's got a lot of advantages for the learner. It's a pretty strict language, which forces you to really get things right. It requires that all variables be declared, which forces you to think about your data coherently. It's strongly object-oriented, which is a good thing, and there's tons of instructional material targeting Java.
Also, the entire language is easily accessible - once you start learning about the basic library classes, you can easily find them and study them and learn how the language works under the hood.

There are certainly other ways to go, but if you're going to start learning to write programs, Java's a fine place to start.

I will not be posting any homework questions

Homework questions are fine - the problem is not when people ask about their homework, it's when they ask other to do their homework for them.

Good question:

I have a homework assignment where I have to get the user's name and use it as a key to encrypt a message using a simple shift cipher. Here's the code I've written. The problem is, my output is coming out truncated to 215 characters, and I can't figure out why. Can anyone help me figure this out?

Bad question:

I have a homework assignment where I have to get the user's name and use it as a key to encrypt a message using a simple shift cipher. How do I write this?

It doesn't sound to me like you'll have any trouble coming up with good questions. When in doubt, read this essay and meditate on its contents.

Welcome to DIC - looking forward to seeing what sort of awesome stuff you get up to!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:35 PM

We have an excellent getting started in Java resource thread. You should check it out!

I guess I will be learning Java first! It seems kind of weird that they choose this language as a first (I would expect C), but it is a good staring point. Thanks for the pointer.

Most CS programs provide a decent exposure to C in the low-level architecture classes like operating systems.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:57 AM

Posted ImagePosted ImageIronCoder31

View PostIronCoder31, on 11 June 2015 - 06:58 PM, said:

Hey guys,

Hello IronCoder, welcome.

I am starting college soon (BS Computer Science), ... I figured I would get a head start!

Good luck with college.

I guess I will be learning Java first!

Good. Practice a lot. That's the way to become an expert.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageEnjoy your stay!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2015 - 08:41 AM

java is good one to begin with, but i personally started with c and then moved to c++ and now im learning java. :bigsmile:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1