2 Replies - 750 Views - Last Post: 22 June 2015 - 03:30 PM

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Cap the transfer speed of an HTTP upload ?

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:56 AM

Hello guys,

I set up a little script on my VPS that allows me to upload files via HTTP (FTP is not very convenient for me. I like to be sent an email with a direct link to the file when the upload is done, etc.).

The problem is that at work, when I use it, I eat ALL the ascending bandwidth. People can't even send an email and their GET and POST requests are very slow.

I can probably set up my browser or my computer so the upload speed is caped but I would prefer to add a checkbox somewhere in my upload page that tells (cap my upload speed to xxx kb/s) or something.

Do you think it's possible without a client-side plugin like Java or Flash ?
Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Cap the transfer speed of an HTTP upload ?

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Cap the transfer speed of an HTTP upload ?

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:51 AM

My only experience with caping data rate speeds would be with networking equipment. Cisco allows this on the port, possibly DD-WRT does as well. I'm not familiar of this within the OS or hosting software.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Cap the transfer speed of an HTTP upload ?

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:30 PM

Thanks. It's already a better idea than a per browser/computer configuration.

I've never seen this feature on any website but when people use wetransfer in my office, it doesn't have the same effect so I suppose this site does something about it (or perhaps the files they upload are simply smaller than mine so the lag is unnoticed).

I guess I could split the file in chunks and space them out so there is a window for other computers to send data, but it seems a bit overkill. I'll have to combine them back together. Maybe I need to hash the file first and check it, etc. I've never done this before.

This post has been edited by ge∅: 22 June 2015 - 03:34 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1