4 Replies - 1162 Views - Last Post: 23 June 2015 - 09:41 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

What would a first year computer science portfolio look like ?

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:23 AM

Hi guys,

Firstly, if this question is in the wrong place, I do apologize.

I have mentioned in other threads that I'm starting a 4 week summer internship with a small marketing company, there main aim for customers is to create a brand, bring that brand to life, web design, basically the whole package.

Anyway, I've spoken to the company directors and my university internship scheme reps and came to the arrangement of staying on at the company for the entire summer to give me as much experience as possible, unpaid after the 4 weeks of course. I then received an email today from one of the directors asking me to bring a portfolio of my previous projects and work on the first day (6th July).

With me just finishing my first year of studies I don't have a portfolio put together yet. However I will be putting one together over this week and next. That's where you guys come in, I'm looking for help with this, so my question really is ideally to people who run their own companies or work in companies that take short turn interns on.

What would you expect to see on a first year students portfolio ?

How do I present it (word doc etc?)

Although I don't have huge amounts of work to show, I do spend almost every spare hour of my time on campus (even as I write this) alone working and studying, so I could put some additional stuff together over the next couple days to add to it. I'm at a first class degree standard, achieving a 85% result so far (2 assignments pending), so I hope this helps to get an idea of the type of person I am.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What would a first year computer science portfolio look like ?

#2 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What would a first year computer science portfolio look like ?

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:25 AM

What would you expect to see on a first year students portfolio ?

Work you've done. The bar wouldn't be very high, as I wouldn't expect a first year student to have done much beyond an intro class. If you have gone beyond intro to programming, showcase this.

How do I present it (word doc etc?)

Don't do a word document. The special characters mess things up. Perhaps start a github and post your code online. Or start a wordpress blog and showcase there.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:30 AM

Work you've done. The bar wouldn't be very high, as I wouldn't expect a first year student to have done much beyond an intro class. If you have gone beyond intro to programming, showcase this.

Do you think I should add things such as a 2D platform game I created from scratch all written in C++, very proud of it however not entirely relevant to the role?

Don't do a word document. The special characters mess things up. Perhaps start a github and post your code online. Or start a wordpress blog and showcase there.

I never thought of this, brilliant idea, much appreciated

This post has been edited by jlis: 23 June 2015 - 09:31 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:37 AM

Sure. I'd add it. I would also suggest spending time making sure your code is clean.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:41 AM

Thanks so much!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1