11 Replies - 1751 Views - Last Post: 26 November 2007 - 10:47 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Protection on Wireless/Wired

Post icon  Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:07 AM

Since I moved into my new place (rather a large house sharing with 2 other people) I have wired/wireless'd our computers together. Now, I want to protect everything on my computer except for of course whats in the shared folder. I am sure this question may have been gone over before, so if someone knows what direction to lead me rather than just telling me that is fine too.

Any help would be appreciated.

I know of encryption and such but I never have really needed/wanted it till now.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Protection on Wireless/Wired

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Protection on Wireless/Wired

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:24 AM

Wireless encryption can be broken in under 20 minutes using kismit, & collecting broadcast packets.

What I do is turn the DHCP off from the router, & have each node specify what IP address that they will use. Use a bizarre class C subnet, & someone MUST know how to connect to your router, or they never will.

If you really want to lock it down, use mac filtering.

This post has been edited by no2pencil: 20 November 2007 - 09:24 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:41 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 20 Nov, 2007 - 09:24 AM, said:

If you really want to lock it down, use mac filtering.

can that be done with windows or do you mean some other kind of "mac"?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:04 AM

http://en.wikipedia....iki/MAC_address
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:22 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 20 Nov, 2007 - 10:04 AM, said:

your awesome, thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:26 AM

Personally, I use WPA-PSK on my router, and have a non-Class-C address on the DHCP.

There's enough wireless floating around here that if someone were trying to wardrive for free Internet, they could either hop on one of the un-protected or the WEP-"secured" networks.

If someone *did* get onto my wireless, my personal box runs only an SSH server, and everything else is blocked. My server (web, svn, samba, printers, ssh from the outside world) only lets in those services. And SAMBA (and thusly, the printers) are password protected. So they can't flood my hard drive or use all my paper. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:43 AM

View PostMorphiusFaydal, on 20 Nov, 2007 - 12:26 PM, said:

If someone *did* get onto my wireless, my personal box runs only an SSH server, and everything else is blocked. My server (web, svn, samba, printers, ssh from the outside world) only lets in those services. And SAMBA (and thusly, the printers) are password protected. So they can't flood my hard drive or use all my paper. :)

But they would do whatever they are doing with your IP. So when they break into whatever it is, you'll be the who's IP gets logged.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:00 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 20 Nov, 2007 - 12:43 PM, said:

View PostMorphiusFaydal, on 20 Nov, 2007 - 12:26 PM, said:

But they would do whatever they are doing with your IP. So when they break into whatever it is, you'll be the who's IP gets logged.

True. My point is; make it difficult as you can, so the wardriver will go next door to use the easier one. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:19 PM

So I have been looking for a few basic tutorials through this stuff, I am (or like to think I am) computer savvy enough to handle said type of things. Yet, I am still learning a lot. I have never been one much for networking (except to play WC3 with friends during High-School secret LAN time lol). Regardless, I am still reading about the MAC from the Wikki Link. If you guys have anything else to steer me in a good direction. The rest of this week and weekend one roommate is going to have his daughter and all her teeny-bopper friends (makes me want to go back 4 years lol) will be over on their computers (technically they are all mine...yes I'm a nice guy); I want to make sure nothing on MY computer gets... tampered with and make sure they can't screw crap up! lol We live kind of out in the booneys so I am not worried about a wanderer jumping on the network (being that 1 computer IS wireless).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:28 PM

Why should I have a secure wireless network?

The problem is wireless access points and routers use radio waves. By using such a universal technology it makes the devices open to deviants who try to access sensitive information or foil the operation of the network. Wireless routers arrive from the manufacturer as very insecure devices and don't require a lot of effort to "hack" or otherwise use maliciously. Even more alarming is that if you don't encrypt or protect the data that you send and receive, a person within range could use software called a "packet sniffer" to watch the websites you visit, the email you send and receive, or in some cases password and financial information that is sent to various websites.

This came from marko's featured post.

so another question for me is... if I have one of these computers on my network ... can they "hack" my websites visited and personal info. Should I encrypt information and how would I go about doing that? I don't expect givin answers, just lead me the right way please?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:26 PM

First up; to set up MAC filtering on your router, you'll have to read the support documents for the router. Each one is different.

Second; The little girls; Put a password on *your* machine, and whenever you leave it, lock it.

Third; That's why you encrypt your wireless. If someone *is* snooping your network, then encryption is a step in the right direction. Hence my recommendation for strong encrpytion. WEP is easily broken (under a minute on any computer made in the last 5 years). WPA-PSK can be broken, but it's a lot harder and takes a lot longer, especially if you have a long pseudo-random key.

If you're *really* concerned about the security of your banking details (bear in mind that as long as your bank is a *complete* piece of crap, they will be transferred in HTTPS, preferably TLS or SSL2+, and as such will be doubly encrypted..), then plug yourself in directly to the router whenever you go banking. Then, they'd have to cut your phone/cable line and tap that. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:47 AM

View PostMorphiusFaydal, on 20 Nov, 2007 - 01:26 PM, said:

First up; set up MAC filtering on your router

I think MAC filtering is only really necessary if you have a large amount of wireless networks and/or roads near your house.

I know, I know, better safe than sorry and all that jazz, but, generally, there are enough wireless networks around that by merely WEP'ing (yes, I said WEP'ing) your wifi, most "hackers" will just find an unsecured one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1