6 Replies - 632 Views - Last Post: 01 July 2015 - 12:03 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Searching for PHP and MySQL tutorials

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:33 AM

Hello,

I'm looking for some good (and free) PHP and MySQL tutorials.

I'm a computing student and I have become pretty good with HTML and CSS, and also getting my head around Javascript. However I am really lacking in sever-side knowledge. I want to start developing some small websites so I can start building up my portfolio, and to do this I need to start learning PHP and MySQL. I figure the best way to start is to follow some tutorials, but I can't seem to find any good ones that aren't either 10 years old or require some prior server-side knowledge.

Can anyone recommend some good tutorials that are easy to follow and understand for the server-side newbie?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Searching for PHP and MySQL tutorials

#2 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Searching for PHP and MySQL tutorials

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:44 AM

Check out the following:
Favorite PHP Book
DIC PHP Tutorials
Getting Better at Programming PHP
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:47 AM

Thank you, I'll have a read through those :)/>

This post has been edited by Dormilich: 29 June 2015 - 12:45 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I think you'll find it's "Dr"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:57 AM

FWIW, PHP isn't the only language you can use on the server - Python, Ruby, Javascript are several that are widely used for the server side of a web application these days. There's nothing wrong with learning PHP, but all I'm saying is that it's not the only language available.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:05 AM

I know of Python and Ruby but when it comes to server I just feel that there is so much out there it's really difficult to decide where to begin and what to learn first. It's quite overwhelming TBH. PHP seems to be the most popular language so I figure it's best to start there. Do Python and Ruby essentially do the same job as PHP?

This post has been edited by Dormilich: 29 June 2015 - 12:45 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I think you'll find it's "Dr"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:20 AM

The first thing to note is that Python and Ruby are general purpose programming languages - they weren't designed specifically for writing web apps and are consequently used for lots of things. That doesn't mean they're unsuitable for writing web applications, though.

As with most languages, extra functionality comes in the form of third party libraries. Both Python and Ruby have libraries for writing web applications. These do things like allowing you to handle GET and POST requests, passing data to templating engines for dynamically generating pages, sessions and whatever else you may need. So, these allow you to create the server side of your application like PHP would.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:03 PM

View Postndc85430, on 29 June 2015 - 09:20 AM, said:

The first thing to note is that Python and Ruby are general purpose programming languages - they weren't designed specifically for writing web apps and are consequently used for lots of things. That doesn't mean they're unsuitable for writing web applications, though.

As with most languages, extra functionality comes in the form of third party libraries. Both Python and Ruby have libraries for writing web applications. These do things like allowing you to handle GET and POST requests, passing data to templating engines for dynamically generating pages, sessions and whatever else you may need. So, these allow you to create the server side of your application like PHP would.

That's really interesting, thanks! I'm definitely going to have a look in to those languages as well :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1