10 Replies - 1224 Views - Last Post: 04 July 2015 - 08:21 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Best Tutorials For A Beginner?!?

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:55 AM

I'm currently trying to get into college for a Information Of Technology Software Development degree or a Computer Science Degree and the schools I'm wanting to go to require being certified in Java. I'm looking for what the best tutorials would be for a beginner with no programming experience. I know a lot of HTML and CSS, but not so much on the programming side?

Only asking cause I keep finding a sh** ton of sites offering training for beginners, I'm not sure which ones are legit, or if they're all good. A lot of them are like 4-5 years old as well, does that matter much? Just lookin for some input as I'd hate to start off learning with bad examples.

Also what would you say the average time would take to learn Java well enough to get certified?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Best Tutorials For A Beginner?!?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Best Tutorials For A Beginner?!?

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:14 AM

When I wanted to learn Java, I actually read This Book . It focues on Java 5, which is not the newest version, but the main concepts are still the same, so you can get really good basics from it. I recommend this book, because it is easy to read and it is written in a very attractive form. I actually enjoyed reading this book.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:21 AM

Regarding resources to learn Java, check out our pinned FAQ thread.

It takes about a year to learn programming from the ground up, assuming you're putting in the time to learn and work projects. Whether or not this is good enough for certification largely depends on the individual. I would say more importantly, you should focus on being able to problem solve, successfully develop non-trivial applications, and contribute to team projects. These are good indicators of being able to succeed in the workplace, rather than a certification.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:31 PM

A couple of playlists from youtube with Java for beginners that I like:

CaveOfProgramming: https://www.youtube....DF6E4B45C36D411

TheNewBoston: https://www.youtube....7E300C92CE0261A
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:37 PM

Ok good, so I am on the right track then with what I've been watching so far. I've been watching TheNewBoston you tube videos by Bucky and I do like those, just wasn't sure if it mattered or not that they were 4 years old.

Thanks for the responses, I'll check out everyone's suggestions and go from there. I'm hoping it doesn't take a full year just to get certified, I'd hate to have to wait another year just to start School.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:15 PM

If you need certification to start at a school, find a new school. It sounds fishy to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:22 PM

That's kind of what I thought, but I guess it's because the schools are more for people with prior knowledge in the programming field. The Schools are Western Governors University which was funded by 19 governors and also Bill Gates and Microsoft and the other is the University Of Illinois, both online. We'll see tho, still researching other schools, as long as it's not one of those for profit schools, it doesn't really matter much for me which one I go to, as long as it's a good education.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:41 PM

Most universities don't require certification to enroll. I'd definitely suggest other schools or look into the requirements more carefully. The whole point of school is to teach people. Prerequisite knowledge to that scale to enroll in the program doesn't sound right.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:19 PM

View Postburton4550, on 04 July 2015 - 07:55 AM, said:

I'm currently trying to get into college for a Information Of Technology Software Development degree or a Computer Science Degree and the schools I'm wanting to go to require being certified in Java. I'm looking for what the best tutorials would be for a beginner with no programming experience. I know a lot of HTML and CSS, but not so much on the programming side?

Only asking cause I keep finding a sh** ton of sites offering training for beginners, I'm not sure which ones are legit, or if they're all good. A lot of them are like 4-5 years old as well, does that matter much? Just lookin for some input as I'd hate to start off learning with bad examples.

Also what would you say the average time would take to learn Java well enough to get certified?

Yes there are many different Java programming tutorials out there my recommendations is go onto Java Code Geeks.com is a great resource for beginners and easy tutorials to read with different levels of difficulty. In addition as far as video tutorials i recommend go to Cave of programming.com there you will find multiple tutorials on different languages it is beginner friendly with Java some lengthy videos but worth it. As far as certification it depends on your learning curve and how you study for a specific test as for me with C++ it took me at least a couple of weeks to study for the C++ Institute exams.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:55 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 04 July 2015 - 04:41 PM, said:

Most universities don't require certification to enroll. I'd definitely suggest other schools or look into the requirements more carefully. The whole point of school is to teach people. Prerequisite knowledge to that scale to enroll in the program doesn't sound right.

I agree, I don't wanna have to wait a year or however long it would take to get certified just to go to School. I think I'll just cross those 2 off the list. Thanks for the advice.

View PostAnthonyMcqueen21, on 04 July 2015 - 05:19 PM, said:

View Postburton4550, on 04 July 2015 - 07:55 AM, said:

Yes there are many different Java programming tutorials out there my recommendations is go onto Java Code Geeks.com is a great resource for beginners and easy tutorials to read with different levels of difficulty. In addition as far as video tutorials i recommend go to Cave of programming.com there you will find multiple tutorials on different languages it is beginner friendly with Java some lengthy videos but worth it. As far as certification it depends on your learning curve and how you study for a specific test as for me with C++ it took me at least a couple of weeks to study for the C++ Institute exams.

That's 2 now that recommended Cave Of Programming, I think I may just have to check that one out. It's winning the race so far :) Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:21 PM

Sure no problem if you have any other questions feel free to ask me ill help whenever i can. :^:/>

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 05 July 2015 - 01:45 AM
Reason for edit:: Removed previous quote, just press REPLY

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1