1 Replies - 695 Views - Last Post: 06 July 2015 - 01:03 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

what is the purpose of windows authentication and sql server authen.?

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:43 AM

what is the purpose of windows authentication and sql server authentication in MSSQL?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: what is the purpose of windows authentication and sql server authen.?

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: what is the purpose of windows authentication and sql server authen.?

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:03 PM

SQL Server was purchased by Microsoft from... who was it they purchased it from... Sybase. (I guessed it right but had to look it up it's been so long.)

So, it came as is at the time with "SQL Authentication". I think this was around 1989! The first monochromatic IBM PCs came out around 1981, so this is basically the dawn of computing practically.

SQL Authentication is grossly unsecure by modern standards. Sure, it's a lot easier to setup than Windows Authentication most of the time, but it just doesn't meet minimum security standards these days. However, it has been included with SQL Server for backwards compatibility. Although, I'm pretty sure MS has turned it off by default with every version of SQL Server they've shipped since SQL Server 2005.

So, you have to turn it on which makes you legally liable for all the data you get hacked off your server. ;-)

Anyway, eventually security standards increased and networking became a standardized thing as the Internet became a thing. Eventually, Windows Authentication and other network security protocols became standardized and worked into SQL Server.

Windows Authentication is basically NT Authentication with Active Directory. That's what you should be using if you care about your data being even remotely secure from teenagers deleting it for grins and such.

But that's basically why they are there.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 06 July 2015 - 01:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1