1 Replies - 416 Views - Last Post: 08 July 2015 - 06:54 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Language and way to go for a project, beginners Questions

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:47 AM

Hi,

i just have registered to this forum to find some help with a project im thinking about:
I want to develop a tool that silently searches a few auction sites like ebay for specific products, and maybe compares their price to a database entry.
While the main tool should be running on my raspberry pi, I'd love to get notifications about results to my android smartphone.
If possible I'd also like to be able to add keywords to search for from my phone.
Also not all these Websites have APIs so I guess some would have to be searched directly via their web interface i guess, tell my if im wrong, im a noob in this topic.

I think this shouldn't be impossible to implement, but im wondering what language would be most suitable for this.
I know that this is also dependent a lot on personal preferences, but I'd love to get some input anyway.
As mentioned I am only a beginner so far, but I think I understood general concepts well enough to experiment a bit.
So far I have coded in java and did some python stuff.

I hope I was able to express what I imagine and would really love some input about this project.

Thanks a lot in advance!

N3XT

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Language and way to go for a project, beginners Questions

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Language and way to go for a project, beginners Questions

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:54 AM

Also not all these Websites have APIs so I guess some would have to be searched directly via their web interface i guess, tell my if im wrong, im a noob in this topic.

I would ask you respect the terms of use for the sites. If they say they are not a fan of you scraping their pages then I would hope you would respect that. If the pages have an API then I would expect you to use that over something that tramples their server time and throws on a big load.

I think this shouldn't be impossible to implement, but im wondering what language would be most suitable for this.

Start with what platform do you want this to run on? Your local machine (so what OS)? A raspberry pi (then you would hit up their site and see what languages you can write it for)? .. etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1