Design Document for Web Project

• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 1088 Views - Last Post: 05 January 2016 - 05:41 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Design Document for Web Project

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:59 PM

I am at the last leg of my diploma and have until mid august to complete a web application project. Normally in my university this is done as a group but everyone who started the diploma with me (12 of us) in my part of the country either transferred or dropped out .All but two students who have not qualified to do the final project. I am told If I can do it myself this year I can graduate. To make matters worse my diploma is not even carried by my school anymore. I don't want to wait a further year!. I'm already too old :)/>/>. I would just like to no if anyone is interested to co-op with me and show me the ropes. To be quite honest I don't think I have a problem code-wise I am absolutely struggling with design and confusion of how my design document should look. I do have a template but after my design review presentation I was scolded harshly for my lack of content although I put in my presentation topic for topic what they asked me. If there is anyone willing to help me I would be very grateful. My design Document template is attached.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 12 July 2015 - 06:48 PM
Reason for edit:: Renamed title to be more descriptive

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Design Document for Web Project

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Design Document for Web Project

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:05 PM

What portions of the document can you currently add? What is the project, specifically? A web application is very generic, who is your client? What do they want? What do they need to support the application, (hardware)(software).

Don't over think it. Right now it looks like a massive project. Piece it out. The first thing/s to figure are what and who.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:20 PM

Ok my client is a hospital and All I want to do is create a web application using jsp, apache and mysql for them to store information on for modules : Patient, Appointment, staff,Pharmaceuticals(drug) and the drug supplier and the patients treatment. basic scrud with a decent interface. I already did some documents i submitted a requirements document, a requirements analysis document and now this is the last document. There were more modules but because I am doing it alone I have been granted some grace to work with just those listed. My school is furious with me because they prefer I wait. Me doing it means someone has to check my weekly updates so I dont get the nicest response and being in this third world country makes it harder. To make matters worse the database course I did was oracle but for the project they said i must use mysql, I already made my erd and sql code not sure how correct it is. I know mysql does not support check conditions I got a little help with triggers. I'm anxious to start the grit of it but these documents are so heavy the interaction and persistence model I have never even seen before or heard of. I am currently working on use case descriptions and scenarios
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:25 PM

What it is.

SDD Template
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:29 PM

Thanks Man, DO you see how simple other design documents are? I saw a few on slideshare too so simple. BTW do i put the + everytime you post or when the post is closed?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:36 PM

A design document CAN be simple, but it depends on the complexity of the project. Yours looks to do a fair bit, so it requires more documentation on how it will do it; how it will store it; and what is needed for it to work.

The plus is when you feel you were helped. I really haven't helped anything other than to guide you one what the document it and what another looks like. I don't need the +.

You do have a big project ahead of you, make sure you understand the design documents and plan accordingly. Hopefully you have a solid grasp of OOP to make this a bit easier. Are you allowed to use frameworks to make the process more realistic?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:47 PM

All i can use is Java using beans and JSP i was told i can use templates for my menu. No web design course nothing. I was literally told in my HCI class to pull a template and use. Ajax and javascript I can use which I was not taught either. I have a decent grasp on my java. I also got web dev course as a guide i will try to use for html/css help. I just feel as though they are over doing it with the documentation when the program is as simple as ever. I will try my best when I get there. I'm anxious to code but frustrated. You should see my timeline for my weekly submissions. I barely can function. I'm doing this diploma part time. I wanted to ask I saw a site called https://www.assignmentexpert.com/. Ever heard of it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:05 PM

If you are asking if you should cheat the system, then no I don't. If you are not ready for this project, you aren't ready. Whether that means you need to wait another year, or transfer to another school to get the education, you need an understanding of what you are doing. Having someone else do the assignment means you will be unqualified when you are employed doing the same.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:06 PM

What? Are you planning on paying for someone to do your final project work? I am curious if you get a partial diploma for having someone do the heavy lifting?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:42 PM

Wow you guys hit hard. The home page says "ONLINE HOMEWORK HELP. PROFESSIONAL ASSIGNMENT ASSISTANCE." I only brought it up because I figured it would be like a private tutor or something. I enjoy learning too much to not do my own work and you cant beat the satisfaction you get. I just feel i need dedicated help. If you guys know a service where someone is teaching you I wouldn't mind either. I cant expect you to know me but all my life I never take the easy way out. Life is already too short!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:55 PM

With topics like math and physics, it's one thing to have a tutor for an hour or two with whom you work through the concepts/techniques. It sounds like you want a dedicated tutor to guide you through this assignment, though. There is a difference between talking through some things with a TA or the professor, and having someone guide you through the assignment. If you need dedicated help, you probably aren't ready to complete the assignment and graduate. Spending the extra year to improve your skillset might not be a bad idea.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:02 PM

That's the thing. I am not getting proper education from my school. Half the teachers don't even know what they are doing. I am going to have to apply myself when I branch out completely. I would never market myself if I cant do something. I asked an instructor about some of these topics and they can't even explain them. Yet the Outline was given by them! I hope to just get my diploma and study independently until I go after my degree. Maybe a 18 months between it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:02 PM

The site's tagline is, "Doing your Assignments" and the third step is, "receive your completed assignment."

That is not a tutoring site, it is a cheating site.

I would say you need a different school. You said you did not have a chance or the school did not offer courses you needed to complete the assignment. You also said the school does not carry the degree anymore. If it is not offered, they either lost their accreditation or there was not enough people interested to keep it going. If it is the latter, the educators are likely not whom you would want to be listening to as they are whatever the school could find. If the former, there was a reason for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:15 PM

Okay let me explain some more. When I started the diploma it was called and National Engineering Diploma. It has since been replaced with a software engineering diploma and a network and communications diploma. The diploma I am doing seems very well structured. With it the Hertfordshire and the university of Greenwich says it qualifies for the degree in either computer Science (Hertfordshire) or Information Systems (Greenwich). Right now I am doing a microprocessor class where we are using assembly language. That class and the final project are my last two and I am free. So many student drop out and the ones who stay are usually full time. The teachers literally don't care. They act like it's a favor they are doing. We practically study on youtube in groups to succeed
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:36 PM

I'm going to direct this back on topic some. If you want to use a service to cheat, you're on your own for that. We won't help you there.

However, if you want to put in a good faith effort, I'm sure our members will be happy to help. Though it's probably fair to note that you should be thinking of asking for help here as visiting a TA in office hours. That is, we are likely not able to provide dedicated help/tutoring.

Let's not spend more time discussing the (de)merits of the degree program, as this is a help thread.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +