3 Replies - 958 Views - Last Post: 22 July 2015 - 07:38 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Full time dev to part time consultant

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:28 PM

I have found and accepted a new full time position at different company than my current employer. I'm reaching the end of my two week notice and talks of me staying on part time 5-10 hours a week for an indefinite period have started. This was my idea, because I like the company I work for, I have expert knowledge in the business system and technical skills to still be productive 5-10 hours a week.

Has anyone stayed on part time with a past employer in a part time role? How did it work out? What's normal for pay distribution, do I bill? Do I need licensure? Are there other considerations that may not make this worth my time?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Full time dev to part time consultant

• Enterprise Software Architect
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Full time dev to part time consultant

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:07 PM

I am currently doing this for a past employer, however my circumstances are a bit different as the company closed up shop and they had contracts that went till the end of the year. I am salaried, albeit lower than I was making, but it my role now is just to ensure that the server stays up and deal with any issues that come up.

The only issues I would see coming up, this is coming from a US perspective, would be possible conflicts of interest. Are the companies competing in the same fields? If not, you could technically stay on as an employee and forgo the hoops of being an independent contractor. There could be issues personally though. What happens when you don't have time or just don't want to work the time for the old company? Other than that you would just be like any other part time employee.

If you like the company enough to stay on, why are you leaving? Could they not compete with the pay/ benefits of the new company? So, either you were cherry picked for a position or found the need to look elsewhere.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:32 PM

View Postastonecipher, on 22 July 2015 - 07:07 PM, said:

If you like the company enough to stay on, why are you leaving? Could they not compete with the pay/ benefits of the new company? So, either you were cherry picked for a position or found the need to look elsewhere.

There is no conflict of interest, because the two companies do not compete in any way. I'm also in the US. I'm leaving for a few different reasons, one being that I have more of an architect or software engineer mindset, which my current company does not and will have have a position for, while the new company does. Also, the new employer will provide experience in the web portion of the .net stack which will round out my skills.

Although, I no longer want to work for the company full time, I think a 5-10 hour a week gig could be lucrative for both parties involved.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enterprise Software Architect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:38 PM

Could work out well for you, for at least a little bit. There are times though, and this is anytime you are working multiple jobs, you will get tired of doing both. I have done the same thing for the last two positions that I left, because they either didn't have someone that had the skillset that was needed, or I actually did like the company and didn't mind helping out.

5- 10 hours a week is not really a lot of time and could go either direction though. A project may need more that 10 hours to get any headway on, so they [the old company] may not like the relationship at some point.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1