8 Replies - 694 Views - Last Post: 29 July 2015 - 12:23 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

New kid on the block ( or not so kid anymore )

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:33 AM

Greetings!

I am a 34 year kid with a Economic Science Uni diploma, and a Programming College one. Sadly, I have focused mostly on the marketing side of online development, and although I was really good at coding after finishing the college, I never practiced it enough so I kind of forgot everything beside the basics. My main teacher was a little devil that "forced" us to be kings in programming and maths, and helped us get over all the other classes by speaking to the teachers to give it a smooth ride. I remember there were 2 classes where tests were taken with manuals on the table :whistling:/> . Free copying and speaking.

The issue is that now after so many years, I realized that simple programming tasks in my dev work make me spend too much time on things I could solve very fast with medium programming skills.

Also, I want to develop at some point in the near future a text-based mmo, because I like medieval history, and because I am dark haired.

I have a personal relationship with my pc's, and I really recognize myself in the Be a DIC greeter first paragraph, I am kind of a keep it all to myself person. I love sports tho, I was a good nice little demolition man in soccer games with a bit of skills too, now I am more into off-road and enduro playing around. Tennis is also awesome! Box when it's a show ( hated Mayweather vs Paquaio game ), to be honest I just like sports. Basketball would be a hit, but the live games are almost always in the middle of the night.

And I write too much when I start writing :helpsmilie:/> . Somebody stop me! Probably because I keep too myself in the real life. So if someone asks me a short question with a fast answer, instead of yes, this or that, please be aware that I might give a 10 paragraph answer.

Cheers and nice to meet you
Stefan

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New kid on the block ( or not so kid anymore )

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: New kid on the block ( or not so kid anymore )

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:42 AM

Damn I missed the template :gun_bandana:/>

Birthdate: 11 December
Sex: Great
Height: Average
Weight: Changing
Hair: Dark
Eyes: With glasses
Education: Useless. Or helpful!
Programming Languages: I don't even know what these are.
Years Programming/Designing: Many or little, depends on how you look at it.
Employer: Myself
Hobbies/Interests: Sports, marketing, bikes, off-road
Favorite Bands: Too many.
Favorite Movie: None.
Favorite Color: Pink
Favorite Number: 7
Favorite Beverage: None
Favorite Food: None
Favorite Sport: Soccer
Favorite Phrase: Quo vadis Domine.
Favorite Animal: Myself
Favorite Video Game: None.
Favorite Quote: Please turn down the music.
Dislikes: The opposite ( myself )
Last Good Book I Read: Houston, we have a problem.
If I Could Have One Superhuman Ability, It Would Be: Read minds

Sorry for the ambiguous answers :nottalkingtoyou:/>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:57 AM

Welcome aboard Stefan from Romania!

I like medieval history, and because I am dark haired.

Ah.. what's the dark hair got to do with text based mmos or medieval history?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:22 AM

Well I could not find any other reason, so I just put it there so I have 2 reasons. One was too little.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:45 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImageStefan

View PostFanFanS, on 28 July 2015 - 08:33 AM, said:

Greetings!

Hello Stefan. Welcome.

I am a 34 year kid with a Economic Science Uni diploma, and a Programming College one. Sadly, I have focused mostly on the marketing side of online development, and although I was really good at coding after finishing the college, I never practiced it enough so I kind of forgot everything beside the basics. My main teacher was a little devil that "forced" us to be kings in programming and maths, and helped us get over all the other classes by speaking to the teachers to give it a smooth ride. I remember there were 2 classes where tests were taken with manuals on the table :whistling: . Free copying and speaking.

I had a professor who loaded us with work as whether his class were the only one. The little devil did nothing to make it easier for us.

I have a personal relationship with my pc's, and I really recognize myself in the Be a DIC greeter first paragraph, I am kind of a keep it all to myself person.

And I write too much when I start writing :helpsmilie: . Somebody stop me! Probably because I keep too myself in the real life. So if someone asks me a short question with a fast answer, instead of yes, this or that, please be aware that I might give a 10 paragraph answer.

So let's start it. What are your goals for joining DIC? Do you want to study a specific language? Which one? Or maybe you want to practice various ones? (It's better to focus on just one in the beginning.) Do you use an IDE? Do you have personal projects for coding? Are you taking online courses? Are you reading any programming book?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageEnjoy your stay!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:00 PM

Welcome

My main teacher was a little devil that "forced" us to be kings in programming and maths,

My current boss is like this, it is actually quite fun. He likes logic problems to keep us thinking about how to solve issues and think about all aspects of what we are doing.

When I was in school, I always enjoyed the classes that pushed. Not the busy work, but made you think and you had to push yourself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:12 PM

View PostBetsemes, on 28 July 2015 - 05:45 PM, said:

Posted ImagePosted ImageStefan
Hello Stefan. Welcome.

Thank you!

I had a professor who loaded us with work as whether his class were the only one. The little devil did nothing to make it easier for us.

Since you are writing here, it seems you survived so congratulations :sorcerer:/>/>/>

So let's start it. What are your goals for joining DIC? Do you want to study a specific language? Which one? Or maybe you want to practice various ones? (It's better to focus on just one in the beginning.) Do you use an IDE? Do you have personal projects for coding? Are you taking online courses? Are you reading any programming book?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageEnjoy your stay!

Thank you, I will do my best!

The main goal is to get into game development. I am thinking that if am still going to do this ( only website now ) online development thing I am doing for so many years, I have to get into something I really like. Because else, when I will be 50 years old, I might get a bit tense.

I like games, so becoming a part of this should help me achieve that. I like sports, so I am already on my way building a website related to getting fit through sport, a balanced life and diets. When the time will come I will also attach some products to it ( will need coding, hopefully I will be able to do it myself! ).

Beside the come and go projects I do for clients or myself to get me the coins, I want to establish 2 or 3 paths to be a constant. Things that I enjoy working on.

Although I have a programming diploma, coding was practiced very little, just to modify things, so I kind of lost the touch. I am experienced in marketing. I don't use an IDE, and my coding expertise is very limited. I know HTML and CSS extensively, but I am not sure if these count. I can edit PHP, and play around with MySQL to get what I want, but both are basic skills. I used to be very good in C when in college, but so many years passed and I have exercised too little. I have no idea how it works now.

I don't take any online courses, but I am starting an offline one with a private company in September, if nothing unpredictable happens. It depends on me when I will finish it. It might take 3 years, or under 1, if I am really focused. It's an extensive one covering multiple fields, and the company is a big one. I have no requirements that will tie me up post learning, so I don't have to work for them at the end.

I don't know where to start, my goal would be starting a medieval mud rpg and also be able to code some apps for the fitness/health website. I like medieval history, and I have quite a lot of ideas. But also, for sure, programming is needed at a larger scale to improve my all around website development speed too, sometimes for stupid things I get stuck for too much time until I solve the problem. And being aware that a little more learning would radically improve speed annoys me.

I understood from another thread that for a MUD, php, mysql, html, css would be enough. So half of the problem is covered. But, to be honest, I am at the point of making up my mind. I am not sure what I want and how big to think. I am not fixed on a specific language, I can adapt, and I am not stubborn when I have no clear idea about a field.

I am not reading any book either at the moment, because I am not sure what to read :)/>/>/>) So I appreciate all advices. I am a little ant in a giant's world as it is now.

View Postastonecipher, on 28 July 2015 - 06:00 PM, said:

Welcome

My current boss is like this, it is actually quite fun. He likes logic problems to keep us thinking about how to solve issues and think about all aspects of what we are doing.

When I was in school, I always enjoyed the classes that pushed. Not the busy work, but made you think and you had to push yourself.

Thank you! Well my teacher was a good guy too, and something like your current boss. He saved my ass a few times too, I was not a nasty impolite boy, but I saw things in a very bohemian style, including missing the all final semester in the first year because weather was fine and I liked spending the day having fun. He even tried to convince me to go to olympic contests together with 2 of my class mates ( 1 I think even got a gold medal in an European event ), but my bohemian side was too much to handle. I regret it now, but you can't turn back time.

As I think about it, I have no idea how I passed the class, because I had no grades. He somehow convinced the teachers to give grades to me in absencia.

So bottom line, I appreciate any advice I get, I would even go for a tutor thing, but time is precious, and for that we have online and offline courses.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:58 AM

View PostFanFanS, on 28 July 2015 - 11:12 PM, said:

Since you are writing here, it seems you survived so congratulations :sorcerer:

Thanks.

The main goal is to get into game development. I am thinking that if am still going to do this ( only website now ) online development thing I am doing for so many years, I have to get into something I really like. Because else, when I will be 50 years old, I might get a bit tense.

Well, I'm 50 right now, and I'm studying online. I also have my personal projects.

Although I have a programming diploma, coding was practiced very little, just to modify things, so I kind of lost the touch. ..... I used to be very good in C when in college, but so many years passed and I have exercised too little. I have no idea how it works now.

I can say exactly the same thing. I'm taking courses to both remember what I used to know and learning the more modern ways. I'm focusing on C++.

I understood from another thread that for a MUD, php, mysql, html, css would be enough. So half of the problem is covered. But, to be honest, I am at the point of making up my mind. I am not sure what I want and how big to think.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm basically plotting my course as I go.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:23 PM

Great! Hopefully we shall both be around. Many things from what I know now were learned online. I think in this line of work, online information is necessary. Good luck to you too! And to me :online2long:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1