I want to create my own tools for everything

• (3 Pages)
  • +

33 Replies - 3725 Views - Last Post: 21 August 2015 - 04:36 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

I want to create my own tools for everything

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:45 PM

I dislike the "hiding of information" thing, I think it's impossible to completely hide details, and trying to do so only makes things more complex instead of making them simplier. So, I want to know absolutely everything about everything that my computer has. I want to know exactly what each byte in my game means, in each moment in time.

So. This means, I should understand assembly, PE format, jpg and png format, winapi, insides of winapi, and have a good enough tools to show only the part of this mess what I am interested in this current moment. Looks impossible, I guess.

I want to code everything as fast as I can. I want to code at the speed I think. I want my computer to be smarter than me, to became one with it, to have a better interface than just keyboard and monitor. I want to became more than just a human. How is it related to gamedev, sorry, got distracted again.

Right now I want to make a simple scripting programming language. Very simple. I want to take languages I already know, and throw away everything I can. I want to throw away oop (but maybe leave a way to create custom data types, I'm still not sure about that). I want to make syntax more lisp-like or forth-like. I want it to be fully editable at runtime, like a scripting language should. And I want it to be easily convertible to some popular programming languages, like C or javascript, back and forth. Maybe I will make it graphical, with graph-like structure instead of usual text. I want to try, it seems like such a simple thing.

I need something like jpg file format viewer and explainer program, something that mixes format specification with a hex editor. And same thing for each file format I have on my computer right now. Especially flv, is there any good docs available? How do video players work, how do totem work, how do gstreamer work?

I need a tool to catalogise all my notes. Paper isn't enough, I need search and tagging. It's impossible to find something even in my bookmarks, I need to migrate to something more managable as soon as I can.

I need to understand winapi and directdraw. These look like the simpliest api's available, they are the core, and directdraw can be easily ported to devices that do not have a 3d acceleration. But documentation is too large, searching that I need takes too long.

Dispite having source codes of many tools I actively use, I never looked inside. And even if I looked, I rarely understood much from it. I need tools that will answer every dumb question what may appear in my head. How many functions will this function call? What variables will it affect? How fast does it run? What that little function do? How will it look flattened out? Does this variable ever was affected in the program's lifetime? Hey, I missed that happened, go two steps back. Let's move this function here for now. Warn me if I'll forget and try to use this variable outside of this function. This takes too much space, make it more compact. I want to look at program as a whole, show me a complete graph. Let's edit on the graph directly, this is easier to operate than on code.

I want a complete integration of everything with everything. I don't want to switch windows just because I want to make that little stone darker. I want to speed up music a bit. I want to pause a whole game, edit one mob's logic, and try it instantly without recompilation. I want everything as fast as it can be, and me as fast as I can be.

Right now, though, I'm making something smaller. I'm making a solver for minesweeper, and learning c# with visual studio and oop in the process. This is somewhat slow on my pc, it notecably thinks as I type. Probably because I also installed resharper, thinking it will make my life much easier. There are a lot of variants I can choose from even here, dispite it being a relatively trivial task. I kind of did the hardest part, but I didn't did the main part, I did the reading from screen and clicking on screen, but still not sure how to do solving itself. I sliced program in peaces, and it really made program more easy to modificate, but it became twice as big. And instead of actually doing something, I'm just making it bigger and more flexible, instead of writing I'm rewriting. If even such a simple thing takes so much time, I will not be able to do what I just listed above in my lifetime. I can't do it alone. I'm not sure if it's even possible, because some things are contradicting each over, because if you will write tools what you think will save your time, they will still waste time for a next person who will be trying to understand it. This is simple, but this is endless. Maybe there is something wrong with me that I can't make even such simple stuff, maybe I'm dumb for even trying this, maybe this is physically impossible for a ex-chimpanzee to do. Maybe somebody already did that, but finding him would be impossible, because too many of you are writing nonsense non-stop, and the only thing that can read all of you is google.

Problem solving 0. Problem making over 9000.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I want to create my own tools for everything

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I want to create my own tools for everything

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:48 PM

Emacs?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:30 PM

I want a complete integration of everything with everything.

Yes, this sounds like emacs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:33 PM

I'm... I'm shocked emacs fits so well. Except that one probably can't edit graphics in emacs.

Can I read something about emacs's architecture? I will steal some ideas from it. Why later programs ain't as configurable as emacs, what are emacs's downsides?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:43 PM

I did a quick google and it looks like you can edit images. The downside? It could probably do with a better text editor.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:19 PM

omg i'm moving to emacs. This is the third try now. Or fourth.

Now reading this document http://www.multicians.org/mepap.html, "Multics Emacs: The History, Design and Implementation".

...You know, I think I'm getting distracted way too easily...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:48 AM

The basic structure of an Emacs-like display editor consists of three parts, such a program (called the basic editor), an interactive driver, and a redisplay. The basic editor maintains text and contains primitives to operate upon it. The interactive driver interprets characters read from the keyboard, and invokes primitives in the basic editor to execute these requests. The redisplay is a screen manager, and is invoked by the interactive driver between input characters, and constructs and maintains a display screen by looking at the basic editor's buffer, and effecting incremental change. Much more will be said about the interactive driver and the redisplay later.

Hey, this... this is that Model-View-Controller thingy you all were talking about, isn't it? This is so old!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:05 AM

I want my computer to be smarter than me, to became one with it,

I'm still working on the terminator AI.. It'll be done when it's done.

Spoiler

I want a complete integration of everything with everything

Why would you want to merge with your computer?

Spoiler

Maybe somebody already did that, but finding him would be impossible, because too many of you are writing nonsense non-stop, and the only thing that can read all of you is google.

View Postviktormilly, on 13 August 2015 - 03:57 AM, said:

[...]
Limiting factor in software development right now isn't in tools, it's programmers themselves. They can't keep more than 7 things in their head at once, and they keep dancing around that.
[...]

What the hell? What's up with the insults?

I want to became more than just a human. How is it related to gamedev, sorry, got distracted again.

No clue.. moving to 'software dev'.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:32 AM

test?

ok, yes, this is general enough for me.

Benefits of merging would be kind of oblivious... OMG WHERE IS THAT SOUTH PARK PICTURE FROM? Don't answer "It's from south park" please.

Why that 7 things sounded like an ensult for you? Umm, I can give you more info about that, if you want. I'm reading "Code Complete" now, and the whole book, instead of teaching you how to write good programs, is teaching you how to write simple programs, explaining what this is because it will be easier for another humans to read. And this 7 things is a quote from it, although my memory may deceive me. Because this human limitation is the only reason for many let's say splitting techniques to exist. Methods, classes, patterns, they don't make anything simplier. They only limit a number of things human should interact at a time. How it's possible to make something simplier by writing more code, how more large program can be more simplier? It's obliviously the opposite, but slicing program in parts is the only way we can keep programs somewhat managable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:39 AM

Yes it is from South Park, Season 4, Episode 12 "Trapper Keeper".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:01 AM

And this 7 things is a quote from it

I think it's between 7 and 9, varies from person to person and also from time to time. It's the number of facts a person can hold in their consciousness at a time. However, people might be thinking about their dinner, an upcoming meeting and what they might get up to at bed time. That leaves only 4 to 6 slots for programming.

Children are worse. Their limit is more like 5 which means you might have 2 to use if you are teaching them something.

This post has been edited by cfoley: 13 August 2015 - 08:01 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enterprise Software Architect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:20 AM

I think someone needs to lay off the speed...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:36 AM

@astone - it is always a bummer when you try to understand if you broke the matrix or the matrix broke you.

Posted Image

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:20 AM

View Postcfoley, on 13 August 2015 - 10:01 AM, said:

I think it's between 7 and 9, varies from person to person and also from time to time. It's the number of facts a person can hold in their consciousness at a time.

7 plus or minus 2. It's a well-known figure in cognitive psychology, and it's been tested out a lot. More or less true. However, it's widely misused, and I suspect that "facts you can hold in your consciousness at a time" is not the best way to think of it. Basically, your short-term memory has a small number of "slots", and that number is generally very close to 7. However, this doesn't mean you can "be thinking about" 7 or so things at once - "thinking about dinner" is more of a mental context than a set of things in your mind. It's more like a limit on the number of items in a sequence that you can retain in your head - you can hold on to a phone number easily, but not a credit card number.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:49 AM

As for the machine that can go as fast as you can think and all that, Star Trek Next Gen has you covered! Introducing the Enterprise Neuro Scan Interface 1.2! It is improved with non touch / non verbal command structure, lightening speed and direct Enterprise bridge communication capabilities for when you have a pesky Picard trying to take back his ship you can shut him down. But unlike version 1.1 you can also prevent engineers from disabling the visual and audio pickups so you can always monitor your crew with total awareness of everything that is going on and explore multiple scenarios in a nanosecond!

If you act now you will also receive our special new feature... our force field security repelling system absolutely FREEEEE! So if your pesky Picard tries to drop a Worf on you and disable your master system, it will repel them and make them eat their own phasers while you quietly working on starting your own distortion of subspace in ways never before thought of!

The system is on discount during our "Your a crackpot dev to think you can know everything about everything in a computer" sale. It is only $2,398,874,229,398,456 dollars! You can also pay via 3 easy payments of 3,384 latinum bars! That is a savings of 23% over our original price! So next time Riker or Picard try to face palm you in the future, you can shove a temporal oscillation effect right up their you know what!

Call now, our intergalactic agents are standing by! 1-800-EAT-PHZR and be sure to tell them that the Cytheorians sent you!

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 13 August 2015 - 10:52 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +