11 Replies - 702 Views - Last Post: 21 August 2015 - 05:53 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hey Guys...! (Waving)

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:52 AM

Hi there!,

Don't be afraid of my nickname because I'm actually not Toxic to anyone else but myself. :whistling:
I studied PHP, HTML, CSS and a tiny bit of jQuery few years ago and designed several of "FUN" sites until my final exams, and then gradually I started forgetting most of the stuff I knew. :dozingoff:
So now within several months I'm going to college hoping to get a degree in Software Engineering and the thing I'm very interested in is the Web Development & stuff.
So now I have few months to kill and I hope to spend that time learning as much as I can about PHP, MYSQL, CSS, HTML5, and jQuery. :rockon: (Also want to design few small test sites to check my skills.)

Besides that like many other geeks I love learning about new technologies, different design architectures, and Hot Tech News...!

I'm not much of a sports fan, but I do love playing computer games when I have free time. I also love discovering new restaurants and food. (No, I'm not FAT!!! <_< )

Bye for now all of you guys!
I'll Be Bak! (Schwarzenegger Voice)

Chamal

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hey Guys...! (Waving)

• Foo
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hey Guys...! (Waving)

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:58 AM

Hello and welcome to Dream.In.Code

I hope you find this place as resourceful as i have.

I have to say Website design is not something i have really gotten my head into, mainly because every developer i ask about web just states its "Dark Magic" which makes me think they don't understand it themselves.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:41 AM

View Postmaceysoftware, on 21 August 2015 - 05:58 AM, said:

Hello and welcome to Dream.In.Code

I hope you find this place as resourceful as i have.

I have to say Website design is not something i have really gotten my head into, mainly because every developer i ask about web just states its "Dark Magic" which makes me think they don't understand it themselves.

Thank you maceysoftware.
Yeah you are right. It's sort of a dark magic and I don't really have a deep understanding of anything either. I guess it's mainly because of these massive amounts of standards set by different organizations about the way the web should work and some people just don't want to follow every rule, even people who develop web browsers. So in some aspects it's a confusing subject. I guess the main thing every web developer has to do to avoid this is to keep their knowledge up to date as much as they can. It's a fast growing environment and new advancements keep popping up faster than many people can get a good grasp of them. :wacko:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Foo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:45 AM

Yes you are very much correct, i am planning on jumping on the website band wagon soon tbh, however i do feel slightly wrong doing it with so much still to learn in regards to desktop development it feels wrong attempting to learn a whole new technology.

But that's just me i think xD give it a few more years and i am sure i will be there!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:07 AM

Personally given the vast amount of things we have to learn(and update everyday!) either in desktop or web development, I believe one should choose one and stick to it as much as they can. Even though many web design languages are relatively easy to learn(javascript is the exception) and can be self taught, The amount of things we have to learn in order to develop a industry ready design is huge. Since the popularity of the PHP MVC architectures and PHP going full Object oriented, we have a little excuse to not learn everything deeply and only be an expert in one thing(Front end design or back end programming) and know other languages just enough to get our heads around the code. I consider that as a huge advantage.
Anyways I used to do little coding with VB when I was little and enjoyed it very much. Made some tiny programms and messed around it a lot. :rolleyes2:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:16 AM

Welcome to DIC! Good to have you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Foo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:25 AM

You are very much correct and that is why i haven't taken the plunge into the web world yet, tbh i don't think i will ever know it well as desktop i just need to know enough on how to create and maintain just in case i get limbered with any web projects at work, i have already got one web service i am looking after however as i wrote that its not too bad.

This post has been edited by maceysoftware: 21 August 2015 - 07:25 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:31 AM

View Postmaceysoftware, on 21 August 2015 - 08:45 AM, said:

Yes you are very much correct, i am planning on jumping on the website band wagon soon tbh, however i do feel slightly wrong doing it with so much still to learn in regards to desktop development it feels wrong attempting to learn a whole new technology.

Don't be too scared of web. With the ongoing death of PHP as a language, web development is coming a lot closer to "desktop" programming. Frameworks like django and rails leverage proper languages and solve problems in ways that are much more amenable to standard software engineering models. Learn python or Ruby and you'll find that the back-end and middle-end parts of web programming are just ordinary programming. The front-end is still full of weird and special technologies (html, css, js) but you can cordon those off and treat them separately - about 80% of it is just thinking about data and how you're handling it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Foo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:45 AM

tbh i am not really bothered about the php, asp or any other languages its more the front end languages i just cant seem to master xD i will admit i don't spend a lot of time on it, i have worked on web services and such before, as well as PHP in college and that was completely fine, however i always struggled with the actual front end development.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:37 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 21 August 2015 - 07:16 AM, said:

Welcome to DIC! Good to have you.

Thank you jon.kiparsky :flowers:

View Postmaceysoftware, on 21 August 2015 - 07:45 AM, said:

tbh i am not really bothered about the php, asp or any other languages its more the front end languages i just cant seem to master xD i will admit i don't spend a lot of time on it, i have worked on web services and such before, as well as PHP in college and that was completely fine, however i always struggled with the actual front end development.

I totally agree. Even something simple(it should be) as just getting front end to look the same in different browsers is a mess on it's own.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Foo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:48 AM

Yep, i keep getting told its all about the div's and i am just sat here thinking what the hell does that even mean! ha ha

This post has been edited by maceysoftware: 21 August 2015 - 08:48 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:53 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImageChamal

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageEnjoy your stay!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1