8 Replies - 1284 Views - Last Post: 11 September 2015 - 09:00 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How Does A Domain Name Know Which Account Is Yours In A Nameserver

Posted 06 September 2015 - 09:24 PM

I have registered for a domain name at Netfirms and have signed up for a web host at iPage. From my understanding, I would provide Netfirms with the Nameserver from my web host. The Nameserver is pretty generic without any account identifiable feature: ns1.ipage.com and ns2.ipage.com. My question is how does my domain name know which account belongs to me on iPage, and how does iPage serve the correct account to my domain?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How Does A Domain Name Know Which Account Is Yours In A Nameserver

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How Does A Domain Name Know Which Account Is Yours In A Nameserver

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:47 PM

How familiar are you with Linux?

Let's say I call your house.
Me, "Is Jon there?" => Request

You,
"yep, hold on I'll get him." => 200 code
or,
"nope. No one here by that name." => 404 code
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:08 AM

Client requests domain name, domain name is converted to an ip address at many levels of the internet (os dns cache, router tables, isp, anyone inbetween, & eventually the root servers), the client browser then requests via port 80/443 or if indicated a specific port at that address. Assuming for sake of simplicity that ip then routes traffic to the internal ip of that server name, the server that houses the requested website has web server software (such as Apache or Nginx) that is binding to ports 80/443 or a specific port, when the request is received the web server software will return the request as per the domain name, as they are configured for which domain names to listen to which internal ip address, & where that index file is located.

As for the domain name, you register with a registrar, & that registrar has you enter the name servers. The name servers then point to the dns server you wish to you. The dns server then converts the domain name into an ip.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:22 PM

Thank you for responding back, but I am still confused at how the NameServer knows which index file is mine.

I understand that I provide my Domain Registrar with my nameserver which essentially points to my web host. I am one of the many accounts on my web host, so how does the name server know which account (or index file) to server to the Domain Registar?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:36 PM

Don't you provide your hosting with the domain name?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:01 AM

View Posticu222much, on 09 September 2015 - 12:22 AM, said:

but I am still confused at how the NameServer knows which index file is mine.

It doesn't.

View Posticu222much, on 09 September 2015 - 12:22 AM, said:

I understand that I provide my Domain Registrar with my nameserver which essentially points to my web host.

You have completely skipped over DNS.

Domain Name -> Name Server -> DNS -> Web Server -> Web Site
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:07 AM

This is an over-simplification, but the only records that the nameserver has on it map domain names to IP addresses. That's it. There's no sense of "ownership", or accounts, or files, or anything else. The name server just records that a certain domain name maps to a certain IP address. That's how your web browser knows which web server to contact. It sends the HTTP request to the server at that IP address, and part of the HTTP request includes the host name (domain name) that it is trying to contact. The web server is configured to know that requests for a certain host name should point to a certain directory on the server where all of the files are for that web site. That's how a web server at a single IP address can serve multiple web sites, each HTTP request tells the server which host name it is looking for, and also which file. The web server knows to look for that file in the directory for that host. The only part the nameserver played was telling the browser the IP address of the web server.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:17 PM

View PostArtificialSoldier, on 09 September 2015 - 11:07 AM, said:

The web server is configured to know that requests for a certain host name should point to a certain directory on the server where all of the files are for that web site.

I think that is my missing key in understanding this concept. How does this Web Server know which Host Name is linked to which directory on the server? Is this something the customer of the Web Server needs to configure when setting up their host?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:00 AM

It's all in the configuration for the server. Obviously, it depends on the actual server and software. Some of them have nice graphical interfaces where you can configure that stuff, with others you just edit configuration files. If you're not responsible for actually running the server yourself then all of that probably gets done for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1