5 Replies - 847 Views - Last Post: 12 September 2015 - 07:22 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Should I go for Ruby on Rails / .Net internship

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:58 AM

I've completed my graduation in Computer Science this year. I want to make career mainly in Java development. But as of now I've received offer for two internships - in Ruby on Rails development and .Net development. So my queries are as follows :
1) I am thinking both the sides.
a) If I accept any offer, I will get to learn a new technology, which I've not known already.
b)The other way round I think - if I apply for the job of Java development later, will my experiance in Ruby on Rails or .Net be counted at the time of application ? I think probably not, isn't it ?
So should I go for these internships or not ?

2) Can I apply my experiance in Ruby on Rails or .Net to learn other tecnologies say frameworks of languages like Java, Javascript, PHP, etc ?

3)I've researched a little and found the demand for Ruby on Rails is declining. Is it true ?Also what are current market conditions for .Net in contrast to Java ? I would like to hear opinions.

Please advice.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Should I go for Ruby on Rails / .Net internship

• palpable absurdity
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Should I go for Ruby on Rails / .Net internship

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:27 AM

Just to note that in .NET, C# is very similar to Java.

What's Similar Between C# and Java?

I am just pointing this out, not making a recommendation.

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 11 September 2015 - 05:29 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:46 AM

1) I am thinking both the sides.
a) If I accept any offer, I will get to learn a new technology, which I've not known already.

Which is what most of the programming world is about, and what you should look for. Variety means new ways of thinking, finding the right tool for the job, and having a larger skill set. Rarely do you only know one thing.

b)The other way round I think - if I apply for the job of Java development later, will my experiance in Ruby on Rails or .Net be counted at the time of application ? I think probably not, isn't it ?

I would hope so - programming is more than just any language. Architecture, design, and solution building - (ir)regardless of any one language.

2) Can I apply my experiance in Ruby on Rails or .Net to learn other tecnologies say frameworks of languages like Java, Javascript, PHP, etc ?

I would think it would be hard not to.

3)I've researched a little and found the demand for Ruby on Rails is declining. Is it true ?Also what are current market conditions for .Net in contrast to Java ?

I have no clue on your area or job market, but I would say 'no'.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:23 AM

If you're going to work as a developer, you'll want to be flexible about languages. Pick the team you want to work with, not the language.

I've researched a little and found the demand for Ruby on Rails is declining

Not in Boston, it isn't. Since people have pretty much stopped deploying new PHP, Rails and Django are on the rise, and there's no reason to think this will change soon.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:11 AM

OK. Thanks.
I got that as a developer it is highly desirable for one to have knowledge of multiple technologies.
But exactly how to achieve this ? Any tips ?
I just completed my graduation in computer science and knows only Core Java (not even Java frameworks like Spring, Hibernate, etc) and some web development basics (HTML, CSS, PHP, SQL) as this is what we had in our academics. So how can I expand my skill set ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:22 AM

But exactly how to achieve this ? Any tips ?

Are you asking 'how to learn something without having a grade on it'? Ah.. well.. okay.. so you pick up a book on the topic, read each chapter, work through any examples, and then apply that to some sort of small project. Repeat until you have finished the book.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1