10 Replies - 1184 Views - Last Post: 20 September 2015 - 03:07 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How do I list a job on LinkedIn I started at as a contractor

Posted 19 September 2015 - 04:45 PM

I got hired at a big name company (call it X) as a contractor. I was technically an employee of the contracting agency but my day-to-day job was at X. After some time, I was hired by X as a full time employee.

How do I list that on LinkedIn?

Technically, and I've seen some colleagues do that, I should list two jobs (one at the contracting agency and one at X). Others just lump both together under X with the starting date including the contracting period. It won't be held against me in the future if a prospective HR at another company checks my references and employment dates? What would you do?

I just don't want to clutter my LinkedIn or resume with useless details and would prefer to use the big name company for all of the time in question.

This post has been edited by dev9: 19 September 2015 - 04:54 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How do I list a job on LinkedIn I started at as a contractor

#2 Martyr2   User is online

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How do I list a job on LinkedIn I started at as a contractor

Posted 19 September 2015 - 05:14 PM

Well if you were an EXCLUSIVE contractor for company X, meaning that is the only company you were being contracted out to, I would lump it together as having worked for company X all that time. It shouldn't hurt you in the future because yes, you were working for them and went day to day there as your job. If a future company or HR calls company X and asks if you were an employee, they should be saying yes on a contract basis.

Now if you were contracting with many companies at that time, which included company X, then I would keep them separate and say you were a contractor and then became a full time employee later.

Just don't lie and you should be good. Yes you worked for company X... if it comes up then just clarify as a contractor vs full employee. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2015 - 05:33 PM

View Postdev9, on 19 September 2015 - 06:45 PM, said:

I got hired at a big name company (call it X) as a contractor. I was technically an employee of the contracting agency but my day-to-day job was at X. After some time, I was hired by X as a full time employee.

How do I list that on LinkedIn?

Your final status was employee, and your responsibilities and reporting didn't change? List it as employed by X, and clarify that the original position was contracting if it seems relevant. Usually, it won't be. As a rule, you can think about who your primary manager was employed by. If you were reporting to employees of X throughout that time, but your checks came from Y Contracting Services, you were effectively employed by X.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2015 - 05:42 PM

It was exclusive, but upon conversion, I switched to a different team and different manager.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:43 PM

I would list both,

Company X
June 2010 - Present

Contractor for company X
Jan 2010 - June 2010

This post has been edited by astonecipher: 19 September 2015 - 06:44 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:29 PM

Let me put it this way... When I moved to another company A and they were doing a background check, my start date had to be pushed back a couple of weeks because the background check company they hired needed extra time to reconcile that there was a one week discrepancy between the date I reported on my resume as working for contract for company X and working for company X full time versus what their own research was turning up. I'd switch from contractor to full time on a Thursday going from reporting to one team and manager, to another team and manager. I had to explain how the transition happened to the background check company at least 3 or 4 times. Some of the background researchers are not exactly the sharpest tools in the drawer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:44 PM

I suppose the question is, do you really want to work for that company?

As a developer, you are in high demand, and you should decide what you want to put up with. That kind of nonsense would have been a no-go for me - there are plenty of fish in the sea, no need to put up with people who can't figure out that start dates are approximate.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:49 PM

Some of it depends on where you are working/ going to work. Government jobs want exactly, especially if it deals with security clearances or things like gaming licensing. The sf-89? For my ts clearance was a joy with that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2015 - 02:17 PM

You guys don't seem to make a distinction between a resume/LinkedIn profile, and a job application.

On a job application, or background check form, there's no question I'd list everything with "technical accuracy". That includes dates and actual employers.

But on LinkedIn, no one cares if the first 6 months of a job somewhere was contracting and the rest was full time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:06 PM

I don't make the distinction, because my LinkedIn profile is basically an online resume. I receive job offers from it. If a company sees that, then wants a copy of my resume and it changes from what they originally viewed, it looks like I am hiding something.

My resume is more detailed, what I did, ect. But what is on one doesn't change on the other. For instances, you say you worked for company Y for 5 years. You actually worked for them for 3 and contracted for 2. That's fine, but when they check, they are expecting 5, not 3 and 2.

It is kind of like a background check. A lot of companies don't hold your past against you, if you are up front about it.

-- I haven't filled out an actual "job application" for a few years. --

This post has been edited by astonecipher: 20 September 2015 - 03:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:07 PM

View Postdev9, on 20 September 2015 - 04:17 PM, said:

You guys don't seem to make a distinction between a resume/LinkedIn profile, and a job application.

Not really, no. Specifically, on all three of those I list dates of employment by month/year. This has never caused me a problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1