8 Replies - 393 Views - Last Post: 26 September 2015 - 12:36 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hi I just joined the forum - this is my first post.

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:11 AM

Hi everyone this is my first post here-

I am trying to teach myself python (again)

I have been on a 3 day streak so far- So lets see how this goes :)

After looking at the templates in this section- looks like everyone makes really nice well rounded introductions :D I really will have to work on that for the future

Maybe this will help

I've been interested for a long time with computers
Tinkering on different OS's, I will catch myself skimming newegg everyday with my morning coffee even though im not buying anything.
Actually have an art background, so for some people its a surprising stretch to just go tech/code from not doing it for a job.
It's been hard but I haven't really been motivated to stop yet so thats a good sign.
Other than that- thanks for stopping by and if you got this far thanks for taking the the time to readme.

-M

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hi I just joined the forum - this is my first post.

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hi I just joined the forum - this is my first post.

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:28 AM

Welcome to DIC, good to have you. Python's a fun language, there's a lot to like there. How are you going about it?

Actually have an art background, so for some people its a surprising stretch to just go tech/code from not doing it for a job.

Well, I have a BA in linguistics and was a professional musician (among other things) before I got into tech. We all come to it from someplace. I think you'll find that people are interested in where you came from, but what they really care about is where you're going to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:15 AM

I actually just broke my own rule about posting on forums- never put a good response post in without having a copy in notepad first-

I'd like to say thanks jon.kiparsky for stopping by and of course, pancakes. so thank you for stopping by.

and now a condensed version

As to the python-

I was using codeacademy for a while, and got through about 70% of their course.

Currently using "learn python the hard way" as a switchoff between studying for a Net+ cert.

Its been 3 days and there hasn't been any discouraging sign of stopping so that's a pretty good sign.

Would like to be more versatile and that's important. I know that regardless of what happens after, learning python will be an asset.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:47 AM

Python is certainly a popular language now, and with good reason. Can't see how it's a bad idea to know it.
From what I've seen, Learn Python the Hard Way is a very good approach. Make sure you do all of the exercises. Also, take all of the code, in the text and in the exercises, and play with it in the python shell until you fell like you understand what it's doing, or until you come up with a good solid question about it. (then ask the question in the python forum! :) )
You don't learn about programming by reading, you learn about it by programming. The book is just there to help you get started.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:17 AM

Posted ImagePosted Imagemaglev

View Postmaglev, on 26 September 2015 - 11:11 AM, said:

Hi everyone this is my first post here-

Hello maglev. Welcome.

I have been on a 3 day streak so far- So lets see how this goes :)

I am interested in Python. I don't have it on list to learn however. There is so much out there that we have to limit ourselves in order to do something significative.

BTW, Are there more languages/topics you are interested in?

After looking at the templates in this section- looks like everyone makes really nice well rounded introductions :D I really will have to work on that for the future

Most of the times. There are a few that fill a single line just with something like "hello".

Maybe this will help

Tinkering on different OS's, I will catch myself skimming newegg everyday with my morning coffee even though im not buying anything.
It's been hard but I haven't really been motivated to stop yet so thats a good sign.
Other than that- thanks for stopping by and if you got this far thanks for taking the the time to readme.

Not bad. Maybe even better than most.

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 26 September 2015 - 12:28 PM, said:

Well, I have a BA in linguistics ...

I didn't know that, Jon; I don't remember you mentioning it anyway. I once got interested in linguistics when I tried to conlang for a storyworld. It was amateurish work hahaha. I ended up making a conlang named "Obulamga" (or "Godspeech"), "The Language of the Gods".

Well maglev. Welcome again.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageEnjoy your stay!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:50 AM

View PostBetsemes, on 26 September 2015 - 11:17 AM, said:

Posted ImagePosted Imagemaglev

I have been on a 3 day streak so far- So lets see how this goes :)/>/>

I am interested in Python. I don't have it on list to learn however. There is so much out there that we have to limit ourselves in order to do something significative.

BTW, Are there more languages/topics you are interested in?

I was going to shoot for C but I think i am shooting quite higher than should be.

After looking at the templates in this section- looks like everyone makes really nice well rounded introductions :D/>/> I really will have to work on that for the future

Most of the times. There are a few that fill a single line just with something like "hello".

Maybe this will help

Not bad. Maybe even better than most.

Yes I saw some pretty well written posts and didnt want to be just another Hello. :)/>

Well maglev. Welcome again.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageEnjoy your stay!

Thanks to Betsemes and jon.kiparsky
I don't know but assume that most people here are of varied disciplines and some who work consistently in the field.
SO i will say this its intimidating to start this way.

That should have come out as -

Yes I saw some pretty well written posts and didnt want to be just another Hello. :

I don't know but assume that most people here are of varied disciplines and some who work consistently in the field.

I will need to work on the formatting for the quote/replies.

that put tags around your code is that always there in the fast reply?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:11 PM

View Postmaglev, on 26 September 2015 - 02:50 PM, said:

Yes I saw some pretty well written posts and didnt want to be just another Hello. :

I'm also a student. Well, I'm 51 years old, but I'm studying C++ and OOP by myself now. Yes, there are people from a variety of disciplines, and some do work consistently in the field. Many are expert professionals. There are many many more who are students too. So I see no reason to feel intimidated. There is an atmosphere of friendliness around the forum and you are encouraged to post your questions. However, nobody will do your homework for you. When you post your question, tell what you have already done, what code you have, error messages you are getting, and whatever more that may help the experts help you. They'll usually hint on whatever you need to do in order to correct your code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:12 PM

Also my other reply kind of got lost in there- I was going to shoot for C but I think i am shooting quite higher than should be.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:36 PM

View PostBetsemes, on 26 September 2015 - 12:11 PM, said:

View Postmaglev, on 26 September 2015 - 02:50 PM, said:

I'm also a student. Well, I'm 51 years old, but I'm studying C++ and OOP by myself now. Yes, there are people from a variety of disciplines, and some do work consistently in the field. Many are expert professionals. There are many many more who are students too. So I see no reason to feel intimidated. There is an atmosphere of friendliness around the forum and you are encouraged to post your questions. However, nobody will do your homework for you. When you post your question, tell what you have already done, what code you have, error messages you are getting, and whatever more that may help the experts help you. They'll usually hint on whatever you need to do in order to correct your code.

I have to say that is impressive, and i'm looking forward to it now also
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1