4 Replies - 575 Views - Last Post: 05 October 2015 - 03:31 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Suggestion for What knowledge/concept need to have C#

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:20 PM

Hi all,

I would like to know what knowledge or concepts in need to know in C# in order to create a program to control a specific application is running on Windows such as excel, word or any other program
I want to control the screen and make Blur and with some ctrl-function put it back to normal

What concept do I need to know in C#?

Thanks
Neo
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Suggestion for What knowledge/concept need to have C#

• Lord of Schwing
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Suggestion for What knowledge/concept need to have C#

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:43 PM

That depends, do you have any programming experience?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:26 PM

Actually, there is no concept you need to know in C#. C# is a language and is agnostic of the UI.

Perhaps you are talking about the .NET Framework?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:27 PM

View PostDamage, on 04 October 2015 - 04:43 PM, said:

That depends, do you have any programming experience?

Yes but not much in C# reason of my question
Thanks,
Neo
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:31 AM

My standard beginner resources post - Updated June 2013

Plan your study route:
There are three routes people seem to take when learning programming.
  • Just start trying to create programs, commonly text adventures or DnD or some other game. Games are truly the worst thing to start with.
  • Start taking apart other programs and try to figure out the language by reverse engineering
  • Follow a guided learning course (school or self-teaching books)

For the life of me I can't figure out why people try 1 & 2. I strongly suggest taking the guided learning approach. Those book authors go in a certain order for a reason: They know what they're doing and they know the best order to learn the materials.

• First learn the language by working 2-5 "Learn C# in 30 days" type books cover to cover.
  • Do a dozen on-line tutorial projects where you build what you're told to build, the way you are told to build it WITH AN EXPLANATION OF WHY so you can learn.
  • Learn to plan before you type.
  • THEN you start designing software with a purpose.

Why are you still building in WinForms?

"old 1990's WinForms"? i just use visual studio 2015 and started up with a windows form. didn't know there was an option for a newer winform?

WinForms is OLD. Virtually 'legacy' and to many of us nearly considered end-of-life. There are still placing building new projects in it, but I wouldn't work for anyplace that wanted to hold me back by two decades. There are probably tens of thousands of legacy WinForms applications in use in countless companies. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." in other words: If there isn't a financial gain to be made in re-writing them right now why invest the time and money?

But with decades of WinForms comes developers with decades more experience than you'll have and you have no way to compete with them. Let the legacy developer maintain the legacy applications. Many of them are too stuck in their ways to move forward to WPF. Which is why if you look at job boards, what companies are hiring for and have been looking for, for the last several years its: WPF/MVVM.

So if I were you I would just jump right to WPF. Don't worry about WinForms unless you have a deliberate need for it down the line. Otherwise you spend 10,000 hours getting good at WinForms only to find you need to spend another 7,500 hours bringing your skillset forward several years into WPF - And at the same time break all the bad habits you learned in WinForms.

If some company hires you for WPF development, but would also like it if you could maintain some legacy applications THEN learn WinForms; and take your good habits from WPF with you.

I don't learn from reading books: I learn by doing.
Spoiler

Newbie/Rookie said:

I have little/no programming experience but I need to write a program by Friday that does XYZ.
Spoiler

Resources, references and suggestions for new programmers.
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1