Getting ready for a big day!(seeking advice)

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2

15 Replies - 2422 Views - Last Post: 31 October 2015 - 04:12 AM

#1 Shaddar   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 16
  • Joined: 28-October 14

Getting ready for a big day!(seeking advice)

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:55 AM

Greetings fellow D.i.C. members!
I'm starting this topic seeking your advice,recently i got lucky and i ran in to a life time opportunity to work for a decent company that pays really well!
Date for the job interview is in 3 weeks and that is the time i have to boost up my knowledge as much as possible till then.

I come to you seeking aid can anyone suggest some good explaining tutorials or how these next things are connected.
How i can boost up my self in the next 3 weeks (i am prepared (like Illidan Stormrage) not to sleep))
I found out that they are working on Android applications( not sure if they are using AMS or Eclipse) and that they are using PHP and probably MySql.
What would be the first thing you would do in order to get those tinny edges and accomplishments in order to improve and to be better in the shortest period of time?

I'm sorry if this is a bother,but i would really be grateful for and kind of replay because i rarely get these kind of opportunities in my life.

Thank you in advance <3


I am familiar with C#,JS and a bit of C.
I work'd with databases in SQL.
And i know basics of PHP.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Getting ready for a big day!(seeking advice)

#2 modi123_1   User is online

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 14352
  • View blog
  • Posts: 57,556
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: Getting ready for a big day!(seeking advice)

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:17 AM

Quote

What would be the first thing you would do in order to get those tinny edges and accomplishments in order to improve and to be better in the shortest period of time?

What are you trying to accomplish? Making an Android app in three weeks? Using PHP in three weeks? What?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Shaddar   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 16
  • Joined: 28-October 14

Re: Getting ready for a big day!(seeking advice)

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:24 AM

Just learning as much as possible..
How do AMD/eclipse work together with PHP and MYSQL (where should i start first)
Though i do understand that that i should start instantly working on something in order to run in to a problem and find a solution.
Having an application is not necessary though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Ryano121   User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 1461
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,289
  • Joined: 30-January 11

Re: Getting ready for a big day!(seeking advice)

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:27 AM

Well you're either qualified for the job or you aren't. Sounds to me like you don't know what they do and therefore what you need to know.

If their recruitment process is worth it's salt then they should be able to see straight through a couple weeks of cramming trying to fit their requirements.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#5 Shaddar   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 16
  • Joined: 28-October 14

Re: Getting ready for a big day!(seeking advice)

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:36 AM

I just didn't work with Java before and didn't create android apps and dont know how those 3(AMS PHP AND MYSQL) things work together it dose not hurt to tryhard to switch to something else and to fit in..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Ryano121   User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 1461
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,289
  • Joined: 30-January 11

Re: Getting ready for a big day!(seeking advice)

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:43 AM

Well if you are applying for a company who make Android apps and you have never made one or even programmed in Java before that's quite a problem. Three weeks is only going to get you too far no matter how much you work at it. I guess it depends on what kind of position your are applying for?

To answer your other question they probably have their MySQL database storing whatever server side and a PHP wrapper providing a web API to use it. Their Android apps could then communicate with the PHP through the web to do whatever.

This post has been edited by Ryano121: 26 October 2015 - 10:45 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 Shaddar   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 16
  • Joined: 28-October 14

Re: Getting ready for a big day!(seeking advice)

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:50 AM

View PostRyano121, on 26 October 2015 - 10:43 AM, said:

Well if you are applying for a company who make Android apps and you have never made one or even programmed in Java before that's quite a problem. Three weeks is only going to get you too far no matter how much you work at it. I guess it depends on what kind of position your are applying for?

You are right but i have nothing to lose even if i dont get a mining position in that company i still learned something!

View PostRyano121, on 26 October 2015 - 10:43 AM, said:

To answer your other question they probably have their MySQL database storing whatever server side and a PHP wrapper providing a web API to use it. Their Android apps could then communicate with the PHP through the web to do whatever.

Thank you !Now i know what i need to google for ! How php and mySql Work in pair !
And that really means alot to me =>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 depricated   User is offline

  • Nero


Reputation: 2455
  • View blog
  • Posts: 6,138
  • Joined: 13-September 08

Re: Getting ready for a big day!(seeking advice)

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:00 AM

The best thing you can do is be honest about your inexperience.

It's actually not damning to say "I've never written an app in java" or "I've never touched PHP."

It might make you the less ideal candidate technically - because they'll have to account for time for you to learn - but it sets you apart as someone who isn't going to try to bullshit them.

Don't try to BS your way in with cram courses. It's real easy to spot. Do like you're doing and learn - but convey that. I did that for an interview - didn't get it, but I learned a little ColdFusion in order to prepare. Said as much - "I've never used CF, but in preparation for our interview I began studying it."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1   User is online

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 14352
  • View blog
  • Posts: 57,556
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: Getting ready for a big day!(seeking advice)

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:17 AM

At best you can spend time trying to explain (*cough* spin) how your current programming skills cross apply to the position, and assure them you are bright enough to pick up a chunk of a language like java with a healthy crusting of Android. Trying to over sell your current skills is not a fun spot to be in the interview, and worse if you are hired and they are expecting work completed at someone with X skills, and you give them X-42.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 jon.kiparsky   User is offline

  • Beginner
  • member icon


Reputation: 11204
  • View blog
  • Posts: 19,203
  • Joined: 19-March 11

Re: Getting ready for a big day!(seeking advice)

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:00 PM

Quote

How i can boost up my self in the next 3 weeks


Mostly, relax. The job interview is about whether you're a good fit for the company, and whether the company is a good fit for you. At this stage, there's not much that you can do to change either of those things, and if either of those things is not true, then you don't want the job. So go in looking to learn about the job and expecting them to learn about you. It'll all work out fine.

View PostRyano121, on 26 October 2015 - 12:43 PM, said:

Well if you are applying for a company who make Android apps and you have never made one or even programmed in Java before that's quite a problem.


Not necessarily true. Companies will often hire the right person and let them get caught up on the tech, since it's a lot easier to do that than to find the person with the right tech and get them to be the right person.

Quote

Three weeks is only going to get you too far no matter how much you work at it. I guess it depends on what kind of position your are applying for?


This, on the other hand, is pretty much spot-on. You might look at the tutorials at android.com and see what it's like to work in android, but really you're going in as a novice developer in that realm, and that's not going to change.

The positive side is, they probably understand that you're a junior developer and are bringing you in with that expectation - so just be the best you that you can be, and you'll be fine.


Quote

(i am prepared (like Illidan Stormrage) not to sleep)


This is probably not your best plan. As modi123_1 would accuse me of saying, "chillax dude".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 astonecipher   User is offline

  • Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

Reputation: 2654
  • View blog
  • Posts: 10,584
  • Joined: 03-December 12

Re: Getting ready for a big day!(seeking advice)

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:55 PM

What is the job actually for? A junior developer needs far less than a mid or senior developer does.

I have been interviewing for the last two weeks for a new role. One of the company's had me do a Skype session (not local) that was absolutely grueling. Picked apart my resume, picked through code repositories, and asked me a variety of questions, both technical and non. In fact every technical interview I had I felt supremely measured my skill set to what they were looking for. Some stuff may be able to be learned in a short period, but you don't know what they would ask to prepare. You either know the information or you don't.

So, you either have the skills or don't. Be honest and don't inflate your skills, if they have anyone with experience, they will see through bluffed and unsure answers.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#12 Shaddar   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 16
  • Joined: 28-October 14

Re: Getting ready for a big day!(seeking advice)

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:06 AM

View Postdepricated, on 26 October 2015 - 11:00 AM, said:

The best thing you can do is be honest about your inexperience.

It's actually not damning to say "I've never written an app in java" or "I've never touched PHP."

It might make you the less ideal candidate technically - because they'll have to account for time for you to learn - but it sets you apart as someone who isn't going to try to bullshit them.

Don't try to BS your way in with cram courses. It's real easy to spot. Do like you're doing and learn - but convey that. I did that for an interview - didn't get it, but I learned a little ColdFusion in order to prepare. Said as much - "I've never used CF, but in preparation for our interview I began studying it."

Ofc i didn't have in mind to tell lies on the interview !That was not the plan at all! Just to try to fit in as fast as possible if i get a work spot.

View Postmodi123_1, on 26 October 2015 - 11:17 AM, said:

At best you can spend time trying to explain (*cough* spin) how your current programming skills cross apply to the position, and assure them you are bright enough to pick up a chunk of a language like java with a healthy crusting of Android. Trying to over sell your current skills is not a fun spot to be in the interview, and worse if you are hired and they are expecting work completed at someone with X skills, and you give them X-42.

Yeah you are right overselling would never do !Though i found alot of similarity between VS and Eclipse.

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 26 October 2015 - 01:00 PM, said:

Quote

How i can boost up my self in the next 3 weeks


Mostly, relax. The job interview is about whether you're a good fit for the company, and whether the company is a good fit for you. At this stage, there's not much that you can do to change either of those things, and if either of those things is not true, then you don't want the job. So go in looking to learn about the job and expecting them to learn about you. It'll all work out fine.

View PostRyano121, on 26 October 2015 - 12:43 PM, said:

Well if you are applying for a company who make Android apps and you have never made one or even programmed in Java before that's quite a problem.


Not necessarily true. Companies will often hire the right person and let them get caught up on the tech, since it's a lot easier to do that than to find the person with the right tech and get them to be the right person.

Quote

Three weeks is only going to get you too far no matter how much you work at it. I guess it depends on what kind of position your are applying for?


This, on the other hand, is pretty much spot-on. You might look at the tutorials at android.com and see what it's like to work in android, but really you're going in as a novice developer in that realm, and that's not going to change.

The positive side is, they probably understand that you're a junior developer and are bringing you in with that expectation - so just be the best you that you can be, and you'll be fine.


Quote

(i am prepared (like Illidan Stormrage) not to sleep)


This is probably not your best plan. As modi123_1 would accuse me of saying, "chillax dude".

Thank you!For your time and wonderful replay!
Because people don't understand that i'm not trying to over sell or cheat anything or anyone,even if dont get the job i still learn'd something out of it !
And if i do how to adapt to the job as fast as possible and how to improve!
I am really grateful to you for replaying to me the right way and clearing out some things for me!

View Postastonecipher, on 26 October 2015 - 11:55 PM, said:

What is the job actually for? A junior developer needs far less than a mid or senior developer does.

I have been interviewing for the last two weeks for a new role. One of the company's had me do a Skype session (not local) that was absolutely grueling. Picked apart my resume, picked through code repositories, and asked me a variety of questions, both technical and non. In fact every technical interview I had I felt supremely measured my skill set to what they were looking for. Some stuff may be able to be learned in a short period, but you don't know what they would ask to prepare. You either know the information or you don't.

So, you either have the skills or don't. Be honest and don't inflate your skills, if they have anyone with experience, they will see through bluffed and unsure answers.

I really stand bad with those terms Junior Senior i ran in to people that talk all high and mighty senior blalblalba and that their way of thinking/programming doesn't stand out that much even though they spent more time in that tech tree.
But probably junior since i don't think i can get a higher rank or what's so ever.
The plan is just not to reveal what i don't know and adopt as a fast as possible and polish what i do!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 no2pencil   User is online

  • Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

Reputation: 6697
  • View blog
  • Posts: 31,047
  • Joined: 10-May 07

Re: Getting ready for a big day!(seeking advice)

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:21 AM

View Postdepricated, on 26 October 2015 - 02:00 PM, said:

The best thing you can do is be honest about your inexperience.


I will echo this.

Where I work has hired multiple people (myself included) because they admit to things they don't know in the interview. Questions & situations are presented that the potential candidate wouldn't know simply to weed out candidates that bs in the interview. If you try to fake a technology that you are not 100% comfortable with (meaning being able to type it on the fly without reference) then professionals in that technology will know. The worst thing you can do in be dishonest.

View PostShaddar, on 28 October 2015 - 08:06 AM, said:

Ofc i didn't have in mind to tell lies on the interview !That was not the plan at all! Just to try to fit in as fast as possible if i get a work spot.

I would invest my time researching the company & ask specific questions, instead of going with 3 weeks of on-the-fly learning technology 'x'. Companies love when you research them & ask educated questions about them, my potential future with them, & the position, as compared to basically not knowing technology 'x'. Plus if the interview falls through, what came from the quick overview of technology 'x'? Probably not much.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 Shaddar   User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 16
  • Joined: 28-October 14

Re: Getting ready for a big day!(seeking advice)

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:31 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 28 October 2015 - 05:21 AM, said:

View Postdepricated, on 26 October 2015 - 02:00 PM, said:

The best thing you can do is be honest about your inexperience.


I will echo this.

Where I work has hired multiple people (myself included) because they admit to things they don't know in the interview. Questions & situations are presented that the potential candidate wouldn't know simply to weed out candidates that bs in the interview. If you try to fake a technology that you are not 100% comfortable with (meaning being able to type it on the fly without reference) then professionals in that technology will know. The worst thing you can do in be dishonest.

View PostShaddar, on 28 October 2015 - 08:06 AM, said:

Ofc i didn't have in mind to tell lies on the interview !That was not the plan at all! Just to try to fit in as fast as possible if i get a work spot.

I would invest my time researching the company & ask specific questions, instead of going with 3 weeks of on-the-fly learning technology 'x'. Companies love when you research them & ask educated questions about them, my potential future with them, & the position, as compared to basically not knowing technology 'x'. Plus if the interview falls through, what came from the quick overview of technology 'x'? Probably not much.

Ok got it!
Ill try researching the company as much as possible !
Thanks for the replay! It revealed some more options to me =)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 maceysoftware   User is offline

  • Foo
  • member icon

Reputation: 364
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,555
  • Joined: 07-September 13

Re: Getting ready for a big day!(seeking advice)

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:00 AM

Hello,

I have recently gone for several roles, and have successfully gotten a few positions however the placement was just not right.

Interviews sometimes are more complicated than just sitting down and talking.

For example my last interview contained the following:

  • Phone interview in which I had to answer technical and non-technical questions.
  • Next I was invited to a face to face interview the interview actually started with lunch.
  • After lunch I watched the development lead and team demonstration their application.

    Next came the tests and yes I did say tests..
    I had half an hour on each test to complete as much as I could. At the time I was told they wasn't necessarily looking for completion of the tests but more to see how my mind worked. They also stated that if this was a real piece of dev they were giving me I would be given a lot longer to do it.
  • SQL Test
  • OOP Test
  • Threading Test

    Followed up by even more questions:
  • OOP Design questions
  • Threading questions
  • SQL questions


I was there for nearly 4 hours, it was a experience to say the least.

This was a interview you just couldn't bluff, OK possibly you could bluff it but you would be extremely lucky to in my opinion.

Right from the beginning I stated SQL was my weakest point along with only really knowing about interfaces and inheritance for OOP. They were happy with me just demonstrating what I knew and giving it a go.

Truthfully I don't know how I gotten on or even if I would take the position (the journey to and from were awful), I should be finding out today and then I will have to decide.

The reason I am telling you this is because interviews sometimes are not a sit down chat with some Q/A (don't get me wrong sometimes they are). I have always found honesty is the best policy.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2