5 Replies - 430 Views - Last Post: 26 October 2015 - 02:11 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Final project sign in and out system

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:34 PM

Greetings

I am in my 4th and final year of my computer science degree. All going fine so far and on track for a 2:1 or even a first. Over the last couple of years we have been doing networking which is what i want to go into after my degree. However I have hit the part of my course i have been dreading the most.

So got into today and we have got our coding project. We have done the basics over the last couple of months making pong and space invaders which was alright but i am just not good at programming and it annoys me at times. So the project i have been given is to make a company a sign in and out system to replace the folder and pen they use at the moment.

The design spec is that mine needs to be hosted on the companies internal network so run a bit like an intranet site. With this in mind i think i might be able to create it using asp.net empty web application and then add it to iis. Now my problem is how can i link this up to a database on site? I have had a look at ohpmyadmin but have no idea so was wondering if you guys had some ideas.

So i have come up with the design which is first screen (homepage) it will have 2 command buttons one which says staff and the other which says visitors. if they click staff it open up a new form which then has the different offices in the building there are about 8 in total. So i would have 8 buttons with the different office names. When they click on there office it brings up the names of everyone in that office. There would be a sign in button next to each name which is green to sign in but when they have already signed in it will turn red and say sign off.

My question is how can i link anything back to a central server where visitors can be logged and where employees are logged.

There will be more things i will need but if someone can help be grasp the basics hopefully i can figure that out for myself

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Final project sign in and out system

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Final project sign in and out system

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:38 PM

ASP.NET 'codebehind' database interactions operate darn near the same as a winform or console app.

You can peruse the snippets and tutorials on the topic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:49 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 26 October 2015 - 12:38 PM, said:

ASP.NET 'codebehind' database interactions operate darn near the same as a winform or console app.

You can peruse the snippets and tutorials on the topic.

That made no sense :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:52 PM

ASP.NET has two components.. the HTML/CSS front end and the VB.NET/C# 'code behind' or the "server side" code. For the most part - the way the code behind works interacting with a sql server is the same as how a winform or console app would.. line for line wise.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:02 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 26 October 2015 - 01:52 PM, said:

ASP.NET has two components.. the HTML/CSS front end and the VB.NET/C# 'code behind' or the "server side" code. For the most part - the way the code behind works interacting with a sql server is the same as how a winform or console app would.. line for line wise.

Thanks but i dont get how to connect the SQL to the front end. I have done it using an access database in vb6 before but this wont help me on this. I have looked at youtube videos and i just cant wrap my head around it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:11 PM

Okay so start from the beginning. Make a test project. Slap a button on it from the control panel. Slap a label on it.. make a button event put a word in the label from the code behind ..etc. Get a book on ASP.NET.. _learn_ it.

As I said - we have snippets and tutorials that show the lines of code needed to make a call to, and from, a database in VB.NET. The code would be nearly identical.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1