4 Replies - 433 Views - Last Post: 01 November 2015 - 02:40 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

CMS or Custom?

Posted 31 October 2015 - 01:45 PM

I have started a rather ambitious side project that I may have gone the wrong route on. While I am not a good coder, I can scrap things together alright. This is only a personal project so I have no time restrictions.

The whole idea revolves around social media, and accessing multiple different accounts from one page. While it seems simple, it gets quite complicated whenever I get into the account management area. Each account needs to be able to have sub accounts that can create and add "sets" of login information to the SQL DB and the app needs to pull it at any given time to load a social media account. I am not good with SQL and login systems, so I've been thinking of switching to a CMS that has the following features:

Ability to have main billing account and sub accounts
Fully customizable CSS layout and page content
Can have code input for posting and viewing twitter facebook etc on page
Can interact with a SQL DB

I have considered WHMCS and if I could use it alongside a CMS I would use it. I know which CMS are out there I'm just looking for others opinions on what they would choose

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: CMS or Custom?

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: CMS or Custom?

Posted 31 October 2015 - 01:54 PM

If you are referring to the WHM that I am thinking of, it is not suitable. Either way, you are looking at custom code. The CMS will handle layout and content, but what you are doing is not in the realm of what they typically handle.

You also run into security concerns, as you will need to decrypt the stored password for each site you save.

What does your planned application actually do?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2015 - 01:58 PM

It is to manage social media accounts, from one page, rather than having to login to a bunch of sites. A bit like Hootsuite, but this is more just a personal project
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 October 2015 - 06:53 PM

Using PHP would would take the credentials and use cURL. You could use AJAX and have the response in a specific section as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:40 AM

Ill take a look at AJAX, have not used Javascript much but could probably learn more. I mostly use PHP right now and started making this site custom. It was only once I realized I did not know much about login and billing systems that I considered a CMS or a system for managing accounts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1