RegEx Section

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 703 Views - Last Post: 18 November 2015 - 05:40 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

RegEx Section

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:21 PM

I would be interesting in seeing a Regular Expression section added to DIC. I think a lot of people could benefit from it. Maybe it's here somewhere but I'd be happy to contribute to the topic.

Just thinking out loud again.

Cheers!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: RegEx Section

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: RegEx Section

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:23 PM

I am not certain if a whole section needs to be dedicated to it (not a whole mess of folk clamoring for it and typically it is couched in a larger language specific problem), but certainly if you have tutorial ideas feel free to submit them or kick open a can of blog!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:24 PM

I think regex specific questions are best asked in the language-specific subforums or software development if it's more general. CS is good too for theoretical regular expressions (ie., formal languages and automata). A regex specific forum would likely be create more confusion and result in more misplaced topics.

We do have a regex snippets section though. Thank you for your feedback! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:30 PM

I guess I just see people at my work spend countless hours manipulating text data when they could have done a regex in notepad in 5 minutes.

Maybe your right the section would not get a lot of attention because not a lot of targeted users use it when they probably should.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:25 PM

There is some logic in having a section for regex generally, since regex is really a single language with local dialects. However, since there really isn't an obvious outcry for it at this point, I would suggest that regex questions could go comfortably in the "other languages" section, unless they're specifically about the regex implementation in some particular language. (ie, "how do I use a pattern object in python?")

I would love to see some tutorials on the subject, though. It's certainly a hard skill to pick up, and most people find the underlying concepts confusing when they first come to it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 November 2015 - 05:40 PM

Maybe if I get some time in the upcoming weeks, I will put together some basic tutorials. I'm having a surgery so not sure how I will be feeling. So will depend on that.

This post has been edited by zerocool1: 18 November 2015 - 05:40 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1