6 Replies - 1705 Views - Last Post: 01 December 2015 - 12:31 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hobby project to create a Gym Membership database

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:21 PM

I've had some novice experience in MySQL creating tables and query for specific data.
Basically I would like to create a program that takes a unique user input ID and returns a flag if the member has not paid their fees. Along with the ability to add, remove, and modify values I want to make a friendly GUI that can perform these tasks with simply filling in input fields rather than typing the MySQL commands that are associated with these tasks. This would be my first real world programming project so any direction on whats the best way to go about creating a database, that doesn't need MySQL statements but rather a user friendly GUI that can handle modifications to tables and return specific data, would be greatly appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hobby project to create a Gym Membership database

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hobby project to create a Gym Membership database

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:23 PM

The GUI and the data table designs are two different things. Focus on the tables - what do you think your layout should be?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:38 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 29 November 2015 - 08:23 PM, said:

The GUI and the data table designs are two different things. Focus on the tables - what do you think your layout should be?

Well I know I would need to have basic info: Name, DOB, address, date when fees are due.
I know I want to have an integer ID as the primary key, that way when the member enters the gym they type in their ID and it will pull up their associated info as well as a flag that indicates if the member has not paid their dues. Implementing the GUI is something I want to do so that way someone who doesn't know anything about database management or programming can modify data in a simple GUI.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:00 PM

Okay .. so the GUI - what platform, what language, desktop or web or mobile, etc. Start narrowing it down.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:25 PM

What modi is getting at, you are talking about separate entities. The database controls the data and is independent of the GUI. The GUI is more language/ platform specific, even private web based.

Users are not expected to enter sql commands, nor should they. The program that utilizes the database talks to it. The database is strictly to hold the data.

Start breaking down the problem into what each user will do. You will at least have a "member" and an "administrator." Each will utilize the system in different ways.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:50 PM

Thanks to all your replies. The main thing I was unsure as how the 2 would connect. After some research I found some material online as how this is accomplish. I see there are different languages(C++,Java,etc.) to making a connection. Anybody recommend a language to accomplish my project on a windows platform desktop?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:31 AM

.NET.. WPF probably.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -