network with a network?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 2149 Views - Last Post: 09 January 2016 - 07:07 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

network with a network?

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:47 PM

Ok keep in mind I know little about servers and "back end". Long story short I have a rather large project of work procedures, its about 50 html pages now and will be well over 200+ when its done. All pretty neat , I have all common files loaded dynamically with Jquery at page load. Thing is I'm a mechanic, I just got into web dev as a hobby. This was practice for me. Well it grew and now everyone wants to have content, I also host blogs on there for engineering. The problem? Our IT department. In short, they hate me. My code is constantly being messed with, I originally had it on their main servers but since I'm not part of IT, they simply uploaded my code then hacked it a bit so nothing worked, of course I'm not "authorized" to go fix it. Why you ask? They have their own Sharepoint environment. I even set my stuff up to integrate easily into Sharepoint, but they would rather make me look bad. Plus they "borrowed" all my frameworks and will be building their own stuff in the future. So here we are, even the owners of the company are wondering where my project is. I'm stuck between an IT department that won't help and alot of "customers" who are demanding their content. I told my boss maybe we can host offsite to "work around" IT, but then again they could just block that IP address if they found out. So we will be getting our own server up within the next few months, more stuff I gotta learn. In the meantime is there any way I can "host" my project, either from a spare PC or my laptop, so that anyone at my plant here can see it? Since we are all on the company network controlled by our home office IT I don't know if its possible. And before you ask , "why is no one there doing anything about this"? Have you ever talked front end development and servers to lay people? Our IT department tells the bosses, "His stuff doesn't work because he's using Javascript and JQuery and they do not work on IIS servers and in a .NET environment" Yes they actually said that.

What are my options? If any? Right now my "project" lives on USB flash drives and I give them to whoever wants to see it. Makes it a little tough to update stuff tho.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: network with a network?

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: network with a network?

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:52 PM

Sure.. for the most part IIS on a machine or install some variant of Apache (XAMPP, WAMP, LAMP, MAMP, etc) should get you most of the way. The reset is just tweaking settings.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:22 PM

Ok I'll go that route, I'm wondering about security tho. Since I'm already behind my company's firewall, anyone on my company's network can see it- but no one outside the network can correct? I may be at war with IT, but the scales will tip against me if I let some hacker in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:33 PM

In theory it should not be seen from the outside with out some work, but this all sounds pretty 'Game of Thrones' esque.. so I am not sure what is hyperbole and what is not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2015 - 06:19 PM

Just going to post some facts :

If you host it offsite, IT is not going to be able to block it because it is off the network.

Laptops are not designed to run 24x7. They can't, but you shouldn't. If you do, don't expect it to have a long life.

Sharepoint is ass.

Security for a server depends on what it's doing. If you are just hosting html, it can only be meddled with by someone getting into the server & changing the files. It's adding a database or additional service that adds more security concerns.

Best of luck, sounds like a complete management cluster fuck. Leave it to management to make it difficult for the employees & the customer.

View Postoldmancoder4406, on 02 December 2015 - 05:22 PM, said:

Since I'm already behind my company's firewall, anyone on my company's network can see it- but no one outside the network can correct?

They need to forward port 80 requests for domain to it's internal ip. If IT does not, then the port can not be accessed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:39 AM

Our IT department tells the bosses, "His stuff doesn't work because he's using Javascript and JQuery and they do not work on IIS servers and in a .NET environment" Yes they actually said that.

What are my options?

If you're trying to fight the bureaucracy, you can simply point out that client-side Javascript is not related to the server at all, and that if the IT department is claiming otherwise then their qualifications are highly suspect. The web browser runs client-side Javascript, not the web server (hence the "client-side"). If a server can serve an image or HTML page then it can serve a Javascript file (assuming it's not outright blocking Javascript files).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:25 AM

Yea I agree but even my boss says that this IT department is like EVERY IT department he's worked with. They simply do what they want. Ok so an update: I decided to make a trial run on my laptop to prove that its feasible. Decided on Apache and learned alot by trail and error. First off Skype automatically defaults to port 80, had to fix that. Config was done after some false starts. Up and running after a few hours. Site worked great so I emailed guys in our Chicago and California plants and they said the site worked great, then set up Nginx and that worked great too. So anyone logged onto our company intranet can see it. Then went on a mission, a good friend of mine is our controls guy here(PLC's) and we cobbled up and spare computer he had. I've decided on running Linux with Nginx and will be setting it up today. Its not sexy since the site address is just that computer's IP address, I don't think there's any way I can fake a domain name in here. Thanks guys I will keep you updated on my IT soap opera.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:27 AM

View Postoldmancoder4406, on 04 December 2015 - 06:25 AM, said:

my boss says that this IT department is like EVERY IT department he's worked with. They simply do what they want.

They should do what the company says. I've never worked anywhere that had a cavalier IT department.

I've decided on running Linux with Nginx and will be setting it up today.

Are you running nginx & Apache, or just Nginx? If all you are serving is html content, then nginx is going to be much better.

I don't think there's any way I can fake a domain name in here.

Not without the help of IT. Either you would need to setup the server to also run DNS & IT would have to point everyone to your machine for access, or alternatively you could do this through the hosts file, but IT would also have to help facilitate touching every computer.

Even with this inside the network, they could still block port 80 requests to that ip. Sounds like there are some serious issues with management. Or you guys are doing something that you shouldn't be :)

At any rate, that's awesome that you got it running! Good job!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:34 PM

Linux server is up, then found out something disturbing. For some bizarre reason everything i coded in Windows is screwed up in Linux. Namely silly thinks like random capitalization. I have about a thousand "jpg" images that are now "JPG" on the server. So its works but its gonna take alot of work to make everything right. Is this normal? Why are linux servers so darn popular if they randomly capitalize stuff like this??
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:37 PM

... doesn't 'rename' do that for you?

Something like:
rename JPG jpg *.JPG

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:45 PM

yup, if you want to use/learn Linux you're going to have to take the training wheels off :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:33 PM

LOL yea training wheels WAY off. I'll be in tomorrow morning to fix everything. Thanks guys
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:28 AM

Ah i remember the fun of Linux now (used to use it years ago then got frustrated)......that rename command doesn't work. "Bareword "JPG" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at (user supplied code). Googling that phrase got me no-where. So I'm going there every line and renaming manually. Yea well
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:28 AM

I would do something like the following. Making it recursive would take more work.
files=`ls *JPG`
for file in ${files}
do
  short_file_name=`echo ${file} | cut -d. -f1`
  echo mv ${short_file_name} ${short_file_name}.jpg
  #mv ${short_file_name} ${short_file_name}.jpg
done

& I've never heard of the rename command.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:19 AM

Is that a php? Where would i put that?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)