What annoys you the most about software development?

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

59 Replies - 11290 Views - Last Post: 27 December 2015 - 07:27 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What annoys you the most about software development?

Post icon  Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:59 PM

Probably trivial, but the answers might be interesting.

As a non-professional, I run into many little problems. Every time I decide to start a project, I have to hunt down libraries, figure out how to install them, and make sure they aren't deprecated. If they are, repeat. The process is very tedious, especially if the documentation is bad. Often, by the time I have everything ready to go, I am done for the day.

Currently, I'm in the process of working with Python and image manipulation. Previously, I think it was with C++ and a rogue-like library.

What are some bad experiences you guys have had?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: What annoys you the most about software development?

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What annoys you the most about software development?

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:31 PM

Stakeholders changing their requiremets.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:59 PM

There is a big difference between hobby/ education development and professional development for one thing. I know I have stated it before ad I am pretty sure others have said the same thing.

What you are running into is common for most projects, but a lot of development has the libraries that you are going to use either already vetted and in use, or you just have to figure it out due to requirements.

Hobby developers get to develop what they want, how they want, on their own time frame. There are no [actual] deadlines and you are the person it has to satisfy.

Professional development has others pulling the stings, making the deadlines (although a good project manager will push back), and everything can/has/ will change on a whim.

Programming is fun. It is interesting. It is challenging. I still say I don't work [usually] I get paid to do, what I was doing for free. Difficult stakeholder are the biggest issue and it tends to be because they don't know what they really want from the start.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:14 PM

View Postpastasalad, on 11 December 2015 - 02:59 PM, said:

What are some bad experiences you guys have had?

Interesting question. If I thought of software development as a collection of annoyances to choose from, I probably wouldn't have chosen to keep working in the field. I mean, I've done many other jobs, and this one is really pretty good, I don't think I have a lot to complain about. The things that bug me are mostly things like "there's not enough time in the day to get to all of the neat stuff I want to work on" - which is a really, really good problem to have.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil   User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:27 PM

Scope creep without adjustment of due date. That's one thing I was able to control as a contractor. As an employee, you just eat it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I think you'll find it's "Dr"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:32 PM

No organisation in the company, a codebase that's a nightmare to work with, a database shared between lots of developers are some.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:29 AM

View Postastonecipher, on 11 December 2015 - 03:59 PM, said:

Hobby developers get to develop what they want, how they want, on their own time frame. There are no [actual] deadlines and you are the person it has to satisfy. Professional development has others pulling the stings, making the deadlines (although a good project manager will push back), and everything can/has/ will change on a whim. Programming is fun. It is interesting. It is challenging. I still say I don't work [usually] I get paid to do, what I was doing for free. Difficult stakeholder are the biggest issue and it tends to be because they don't know what they really want from the start.

The unchanging time frame looks like it's the biggest problem. Changing requirements are surely annoying, but it's stuff a person would be doing anyway, just on a different project. At least, that's the attitude I try to have to keep myself from getting too bothered.

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 11 December 2015 - 09:14 PM, said:

The things that bug me are mostly things like "there's not enough time in the day to get to all of the neat stuff I want to work on" - which is a really, really good problem to have.

That is also a good attitude to have, in general. I like it.

View Postndc85430, on 11 December 2015 - 11:32 PM, said:

No organisation in the company, a codebase that's a nightmare to work with, a database shared between lots of developers are some.

Bad organization seems to be a problem regardless of industry but depending on company, of course. I know you can't force organization from most positions of employment, but can you repeatedly suggest it? I've always wondered about ways to increase organization/communication without being that annoying guy who's always suggesting that something change (which I am).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:15 AM

Definitely my most recent client was my least favorable.

He did not like my chairs, so always sat on a small side table. On the last visit the table became flat-packed, he still thinks he shouldn't buy a new one!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Nero

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:51 AM

I'm with jon on this. I don't really collect my annoyances and hold on to them.

I could be washing dishes right now, ya know?

So when something annoys me, I just remind myself of that. I spent 7 years each in food service and tech support. If I'm annoyed by scope creep or bad documentation or long hours to make a deadline - at least I'm in a position where THOSE are my annoyances.

I'd rather talk about what I love about my job.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:12 AM

Jean-Paul Sartre said it best: "L'enfer, c'est les autres", usually translated into English as "Hell is other people."

That is, the source of greatest possible annoyance is the client. Clients are capricious, usually not knowing exactly what they want but convinced they'll know it when they see it. They also like to offer input at any point in the process that they feel is very helpful and "not a big deal" to implement.

In fairness, you are often your client and can be just as annoying, but it's easier to forgive yourself.

Learning how to deal with people is really just part of the job. You pin them down, get it in writing, explain the impact of their decisions to them, and make it happen. If it takes much longer than planned, as will be the case with overly helpful clients, you need to be able to clearly show how their requests facilitated that. Clients will also forgive themselves much more readily than they'll forgive you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:26 PM

I hate tons of libraries and frameworks that are badly documented - if at all - that the project management has decided to use to speed up development. Often it's far quicker to write the code yourself than to figure out how something "ready-made" works and how it should/could be used. And often the program becomes huge and has lots of "side effects" when the libraries/frameworks don't quite match...

The changing of requirements a few times a day is called "agile development". ;-)

This post has been edited by turboscrew: 16 December 2015 - 02:28 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:28 PM

One of those "glorious ideas" was that we should use TI eXpressDSP standards for developing code for a certain cellular network element. The code could only be run in a certain model of that specific network element due to the functionality and hardware and the elements were sold as units.

Who ever was behind that "brilliant idea" of using the standard probably didn't even read what the standard is for - especially these lines:

Algorithms can be distributed in binary form.
Integration of algorithms does not require recompilation of the client
application, although reconfiguration and relinking may be required

(The idea of the standards is to be able to sell algorithm implementations without showing how it's implemented.)

It was pure agony to develope - especially to debug - SW made this way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:49 PM

View Postturboscrew, on 16 December 2015 - 04:26 PM, said:

The changing of requirements a few times a day is called "agile development". ;-)

Spoken like someone who's never done agile...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:33 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 17 December 2015 - 12:49 AM, said:

View Postturboscrew, on 16 December 2015 - 04:26 PM, said:

Spoken like someone who's never done agile...

No, spoken like someone who has seen how the managers understand agile.
And really that's what agile was meant for. For "shooting moving targets" and to get rid of the rigidity of old ways.
It's all about pleasing customers.

This post has been edited by turboscrew: 16 December 2015 - 04:35 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:24 PM

It's refining requirements, not changing them all together. If management doesn't understand the methodology, it isn't Agiles issue, there are literally tons of resources available.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »