Flash, Photography, and Weblog

• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 2335 Views - Last Post: 14 June 2002 - 10:14 AM

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

New JoshDura.com

Posted 13 June 2002 - 05:01 AM

Well, the DNS for most of you should be propogated by now, so I will go ahead and post this. If the DNS is not through propogating, check back later today :)

http://www.joshdura.com

I have changed to a weblog format now, and took off my web design, and graphic design stuff, because all of that is on duramedia.com. Tell me what ya think :) Thanks

Josh Dura

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New JoshDura.com

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: New JoshDura.com

Posted 13 June 2002 - 07:24 AM

I would just say as an aside, that I adore the stylized font you've used in your footer. It almost reminds me of an Alphonse Mucha, Art Nouveau theatre poster. Yet with such a modern, electric green...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Posted 13 June 2002 - 12:18 PM

The site design is an interesting concept but scroll's too far even at high resolution. IMHO you should move the articles to another page. I would also set the page border to 20 pixels or so to balance it top and bottom.

Hoopster
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• nooneenooneenooonee
  • member icon

• View blog

Post icon  Posted 13 June 2002 - 12:18 PM

It is a nice looking site but that navagation is a little hard to understand, I kept thinking that the text under the huge joshdura.com banner were links the buttons in the verytop right are just too out of place for my liking. If you made that text under the header links it would be helpful. "D

Rating 8.6/10

Cheers Sam
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2002 - 12:31 PM

All great ideas, i wil have that all implemented tonight :)

As for the articles on another page, that is really the point of the page, is that it is supposed to be like a newspaper.

Thanks!
Josh Dura
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Posted 13 June 2002 - 12:54 PM

LOL, yeah I got the newspaper influence, it's just a bad idea to have that long a scroll on a webpage. Making it look like a newspaper is a cool idea I just think giving it the disadvantage of being cumbersome is taking it too far. You could use a "nifty" Java page curl app <_< to add to the realism too, but i wouldn't reccomend that either...

just my .02 I'll be quiet now...
H
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• goat.face

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2002 - 05:13 PM

sorry, but the old one was just so cool! this one is cool, yes, but it just doesn't speak to me as much as the old one did :(

-pete :pirate:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2002 - 08:44 PM

i dont think it s too cumbersome at all.. i personally really like it.

the top part is the one thing i would change. the home - photos - flash... the flash is a lil corny i think but thats my opinion. but its to big i think.

overall me gusta alot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Post icon  Posted 13 June 2002 - 09:26 PM

Ok Josh, i'm going to be totally honest,

Don't get me wrong, i looooove all of your work, always have, your a great inspirer.
But this sight, eek, sorry man, I just really dont like it, i'm not quite sure what it is that's doin it for me, but i... o well, i hate to say it but it has to be said right? Don't take n e of it personally cuz remeber, it's MY taste :)

But yes, i love everyother site u have up,
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2002 - 06:10 AM

No worries, nothing taken personally :) Thats what a site check is all about right? Would you have any suggestions on how I could make it better?

Josh Dura
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dream.In.Force

• View blog

Post icon  Posted 14 June 2002 - 07:22 AM

Why such a drastic change compared to your last version. I thought that was sweet, Compared with a lot of your other works it's hard to place this as being yours. It seems out of character with what you have displayed in the past. Before it seemed as if you were tinkering with innovation and cutting edge. Now it's like your stepping back a bit to something less complex and more basic in design.

Don't get me wrong though. The work you've done is absolutely top notch. Very nice and crisp, and pretty well composed. Just less of the style I had associated with you. *shrugs*

8/10
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2002 - 07:56 AM

Hmmm, the "don't get me wrong" lines and sentiments are getting pretty numerous.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Posted 14 June 2002 - 08:22 AM

SlashRaid, on Jun 14 2002, 08:22 AM, said:

Why such a drastic change compared to your last version. I thought that was sweet, Compared with a lot of your other works it's hard to place this as being yours. It seems out of character with what you have displayed in the past. Before it seemed as if you were tinkering with innovation and cutting edge. Now it's like your stepping back a bit to something less complex and more basic in design.

Don't get me wrong though. The work you've done is absolutely top notch. Very nice and crisp, and pretty well composed. Just less of the style I had associated with you. *shrugs*

8/10

I have to disagree with slash here. For me one of the most engaging things about the design is that it is different from your other work. It shows an ability to move away from your comfort zone and let your creativity go.

Some thoughts on this:
Every designer has a "look" or two and many times people can tell there work even if it's not credited. If I let Chris have his way every site we produced would be gray and orange. The other day he found a new orange and completed his 8 bit color pallette:
orange1, orange2, white, black, light grey, grey, dk grey, very dk grey.
excellent for making .gif images mind you but gets a little stale after a while.

How many web developers sites have you seen where every site in there portfolio looks like it was made from the same PSD with a change in colors, logo and possibly the button names? I know I have seen this dozens of times.

There is also a problem with cutting edge from a commercial standpoint. While web junkies and developers are a little jaded about how weak somethings are. Swish animations are a favorite bashing subject around our office the clients are still impressed because they don't know any better. Same thing with design, the stuff that I find cool is often not commercially viable but it appeals to the more web savy visitors. It's hard to keep in mind just how far behind the mainstream web visitor/buyer is compared to a community like dream in code.

The new design is very crisp and clean and I believe you could sell it or from it. In my book that counts for something as does being able to design in different "web genres".

Hoopster
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2002 - 08:52 AM

hoopster, I couldnt have said it better myself :) The one thing that I have set a goal of, is to make sure that I dont fall into the "same psd, different colors, etc" genre. I cannot STAND that. It just bugs me to all ends, and just isnt design. Design is different ideas, expressed in different ways, and I try to make each site I create in a different style. Now, if you look through my designs, you can see stages of other designs in them, but I try to make my own site, COMPLETELY different every time. Hope I havent pissed anyone off with the new design.

Josh Dura
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2002 - 08:52 AM

Oh, and Lee, if you want, I can send you that font I use in my footer, it WAS going to be for the new site design, but I decided not to use it :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +