6 Replies - 783 Views - Last Post: 17 December 2015 - 10:02 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How shall I distribute my software?

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:32 AM

[snapback]Good evening everyone!

I'm new to this forum, I mean I've always followed it without being registered.

However, I'm a teen boy from Italy highly interested in technology.

After running a successful crowdfunding campaign I've developed an interesting software in the field of computer security (contact me if you'd like to have more details, it is a windows software..), that I think could be really useful and at the moment there aren't many others distributing/selling softwares like this.

My idea is to distribute the software for free with advertisement (probably using Microsoft advertising sdk).

My questions are:

1) Do you have any suggestion to make to let me break through the market?

2) How can I let people know about my software, having a small advertising budget ?

3) Do you think that is possible to find someone (probably who is a blog owner or has many Facebook and Twitter followers) that can help me if I'll give him a % percentage on my ad revenue?

4) What cost-effective solutions there are to improve my website ranking?

5) How can I do a soft-spamming?

If anybody can help me or just want to know more please write to me in pm.

I hope that I've posted in the right section, sorry If i didn't .

And still thanks to the dreamincode staff for their job, and I'll hope I can contribute this this community in future!
[/snapback]

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How shall I distribute my software?

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How shall I distribute my software?

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:37 AM

"snapback" ?

1) Do you have any suggestion to make to let me break through the market?

Advertise, have a website, have people review it, etc.

2) How can I let people know about my software, having a small advertising budget ?

See above.

3) Do you think that is possible to find someone (probably who is a blog owner or has many Facebook and Twitter followers) that can help me if I'll give him a % percentage on my ad revenue?

Astroturf for a price? Not something I would consider.

4) What cost-effective solutions there are to improve my website ranking?

There are plenty of legitimate SEO information out there for you to consume and utilize.

5) How can I do a soft-spamming?

No spam!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:40 AM

Thanks for your fast response....

However what do you mean for: Astroturf for a price? Not something I would consider.
??

:helpsmilie:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:45 AM

astroturfing

The act of trying to make it seem like a 'grass roots' business but, in reality, buying people's user lists to force them to see your product. Artificial w/ grass roots = astroturf.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:50 AM

"Grass-roots" is a term used to refer to organization or movements that are basically bottom-up in nature - they come up from the ground, rather than being driven by some top-level organizer. "Astroturf" is a play on that usage, referring to movements or organizations that try to seem like they're bottom-up, but are actually organized by some central figure for their own ends. Modi is suggesting that paying social media figures to promote your product would be deceptive practice. (he's right, of course - it would be)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:51 AM

Wanting to know how and where to distribute software, what to charge, how to secure it, how to provide updates and so on is fairly common. For that reason, if you look toward the end of my FAQ below questions 48 and higher cover a lot and provide several links to existing in-dept discussions. Of course distribution channels change rapidly. Some are platform specific such as Apple's app store if you are making iOS software. If you have any new suggestions specifically on where, please let me know and I'll update this FAQ.

tlhIn`toq's FAQ list - Updated Oct 2015

Learning to debug one's own code is an essential skill. Sadly, one that apparently few college courses teach. Silly if you ask me.
Placing breakpoints and walking through the code line by line allows you to actually WATCH it execute, check the condition of each of variable's run-time value, and watch the logic unfold right before your eyes.
Visualizing what your code does will let you see why it behaves the way it does.
It would be well worth your time to do the tutorials on FAQ 2. A couple hours learning this skill will save you hundreds of hours of confusion in one project alone.

In addition to FAQ 2 in the list below, also check my signature block for a link on how to look at your variables' values at run-time.

TOP most asked:
What does this error message mean?
FAQ 2: How do I debug
FAQ 3: How do I make Class1/Form1 talk to Class2/Form2

Why are you still building in WinForms?

"old 1990's WinForms"? i just use visual studio 2015 and started up with a windows form. didn't know there was an option for a newer winform?

WinForms is OLD. Virtually 'legacy' and to many of us nearly considered end-of-life. There are still placing building new projects in it, but I wouldn't work for anyplace that wanted to hold me back by two decades. There are probably tens of thousands of legacy WinForms applications in use in countless companies. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." in other words: If there isn't a financial gain to be made in re-writing them right now why invest the time and money?

But with decades of WinForms comes developers with decades more experience than you'll have and you have no way to compete with them. Let the legacy developer maintain the legacy applications. Many of them are too stuck in their ways to move forward to WPF. Which is why if you look at job boards, what companies are hiring for and have been looking for, for the last several years its: WPF/MVVM.

So if I were you I would just jump right to WPF. Don't worry about WinForms unless you have a deliberate need for it down the line. Otherwise you spend 10,000 hours getting good at WinForms only to find you need to spend another 7,500 hours bringing your skillset forward several years into WPF - And at the same time break all the bad habits you learned in WinForms.

If some company hires you for WPF development, but would also like it if you could maintain some legacy applications THEN learn WinForms; and take your good habits from WPF with you.

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions - Updated Nov 2015
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:02 AM

Hi,

the software if for windows.

Thanks