3 Replies - 780 Views - Last Post: 25 December 2015 - 02:12 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What are the best methods of learning the .NET Framework/Libraries?

Posted 25 December 2015 - 09:30 AM

Lately, I have been learning the C# language to gain experience and for fun. I have learned most of the syntax and some techniques used in coding. However, I have found it difficult to create new applications because of my lack of knowledge of the .NET libraries.
So my question is: What is the best way to learn the .NET libraries (ex. The System namespace)? I've seen some documentation on the MSDN, but I have no idea where to start or which classes/functions would be best used for certain situations.

Some information that would be helpful to me:
  • How many indie coders learned the Framework
  • Which Namespaces should be learned first
  • What books could I read that would help me learn the Framework

Thank you very much in advance. Merry Christmas!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What are the best methods of learning the .NET Framework/Libraries?

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What are the best methods of learning the .NET Framework/Libraries?

Posted 25 December 2015 - 01:25 PM

View PostDylanrules22, on 25 December 2015 - 10:30 AM, said:

Some information that would be helpful to me:
  • How many indie coders learned the Framework

I don't understand how that is relevant. Start in the resource thread.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 December 2015 - 01:42 PM

Short answer: RTFM

The approach I took to learning the Framework was the same way I read Wikipedia for fun. I read the overviews and programmers' guides in MSDN about areas I was interested in. I would follow any links to detailed documentation about classes, methods and properties. Then I would just do a quick skim over the available classes, interfaces, enums for those areas' namespaces. Then followed by same micro and mini projects to verify that I really understood how things worked and get a feel for how fast or slow some operations maybe.

Then as I tackled tasks at work and in my private projects, I would follow the same technique for areas that I needed to learn to accomplish the task at hand: overviews and how-to's first with deep links tracing, then familiarization with what else is available within the namespaces, then small scale experiments.

This approach works for me because I grew up learning to program in a time and place that offered limited access to books and online resources were practically unknown. This may not work as well for an immediate gratification generation.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• head thrashing
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 December 2015 - 02:12 PM

Seems like a distant age when we only had one book to refer to ;)

There are a wealth of resources now, immediately available. If one resource or tutorial doesn't suit, we can find another. In fact, it is rare to just stick with one resource, even if that resource is MSDN. (Search skills and techniques should be taught at school!)

I recall reading ages ago that the .NET Framework was estimated to contain 60,000+ classes. It isn't something to study in isolation but, as mentioned, as the need and interest arises.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1