7 Replies - 886 Views - Last Post: 29 December 2015 - 05:59 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to create a simple Drag&Drop Game Engine for kids.

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:53 AM

I was thinking for a while of creating a game engine for kids, with specific behaviors and limited options, I'm not a professional programmer, but I did write some apps and games for IOS. I don't really have any idea how to begin, I know it's a difficult and long process, and there are engines out there that already aimed towards kids(Scratch), but not really what I have in mind, what I want is to create something that is visually very intuitive and appealing, the engine itself will be more like mini challenges for the kids with limited behaviours so they are encouraged to start a project and finish it in 1 hour time, no coding blocks, just set behaviours and the user tweak their values, for example you drag an asset and make it an enemy, you then have basic behaviour named "Enemy" and then you tweak the speed, respawn times, etc. First of all what the tools I will be needing and what is the approach? (aiming for Mac, so should I just use Xcode?!) how to get that engine to export to IOS, Android or HTML, should I base it on an already existing engine like Box2d? Again I know this could be a tough, long process but I'm willing to put the effort because I think it's a different idea and will even improve me as a programmer, any help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

PS: I really did not know where to ask this question, but because it's relevant to games I thought here would be best, Also I'm not asking for people to do the work for me, just point me at the right direction, any extra tips would be much appreciated, but I apologize anyway if I'm breaking any rules.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to create a simple Drag&Drop Game Engine for kids.

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to create a simple Drag&Drop Game Engine for kids.

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:34 AM

The short answer is you don't.. at least not now. Think of what you are asking. First you have to make a drag and drop GUI operate together. That's pretty complex. Then you need to make inferences on how the GUI relates to code or actions or activities or what ever. The third is either create some interpreter/compiler for those actions to build some effect and reproduce what is happening. Having a minimal back ground in programming means this is a ridiculously deep end to jump into.

First of all what the tools

No, first you design. Write, draw, and put to paper all actions, activities, elements, programmatical meaning, etc for your project. Then divide up what is the bare minimum to get it off the ground versus gold plating. Having a plan means you have a direction and have measurable steps to make it a thing.

First of all what the tools I will be needing and what is the approach? (aiming for Mac, so should I just use Xcode?!)

If you are going for a mac- then yes.. Swift is a logical choice.

how to get that engine to export to IOS, Android or HTML, should I base it on an already existing engine like Box2d?

You read up on cross platform compiling or find an existing cross platform engine.

because I think it's a different idea and will even improve me as a programmer,

Honestly this large of an overbite of project versus existing talent is what crushes ability and erodes confidence.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:31 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 28 December 2015 - 11:34 AM, said:

The short answer is you don't.. at least not now. Think of what you are asking. First you have to make a drag and drop GUI operate together. That's pretty complex. Then you need to make inferences on how the GUI relates to code or actions or activities or what ever. The third is either create some interpreter/compiler for those actions to build some effect and reproduce what is happening. Having a minimal back ground in programming means this is a ridiculously deep end to jump into.

Thank you for your answer, I really appreciate it, As I said I know it's a tough long process, but I'm not really aiming towards revolutionising the game development world, I just think that if I have controlled environment to have the user work in it wouldn't be that complicated, As I explained the software will have set behaviors for the user to choose from, and just tweak some values, for example, you drag an asset and make it a platform, then you get a Platform behaviour with these options: Move speed, direction, destructible[yes-no]. it's more like creating code for my own game but I'm giving some freedom for the designer to manipulate stuff, think unity editor when a designer work wit hwhat the coder have already created. The 2 major issues for me would be -as yo usaid- is getting the code from the behaviours that the user selected, and then compiling it into a Xcode ready app.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:34 PM

to add controlls to objects under runtime you will need to know about one small part of it all
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:44 PM

I was going to suggest some research into the same :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:53 PM

View Postben255, on 28 December 2015 - 06:34 PM, said:

to add controlls to objects under runtime you will need to know about one small part of it all

If I understood that article correctly, it's talking about building a game engine from scratch, what I was thinking is I'm going to create my software using Xcode, and there is already a built in game engine which is SpriteKit, s oI thought I might let it do all the heavy lifting, like update, render,physics, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:05 PM

Don't worry about the fact the tutorial is bigger in scope than you need. A component based approach is what you need to research if you want to plug in behaviours.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:59 AM

View Poststayscrisp, on 28 December 2015 - 07:05 PM, said:

Don't worry about the fact the tutorial is bigger in scope than you need. A component based approach is what you need to research if you want to plug in behaviours.

It's a really good read, I also started doing some research and watching people build software using component-based architecture, I think if I spent enough time I will get the grip of it. Now it's a matter of compiling and publishing a ready app, giving that I will be using Xcode I think the process should be easy because everything will be in Swift, but still, need more research on that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1