2 Replies - 1157 Views - Last Post: 22 January 2016 - 05:42 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How can you switch careers to become a software engineer?

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:11 PM

I hope this is the right place to post this,

I currently make 150k/yr doing pre-sales technical design work for IT infrastructure projects. I have two Masters one in Information Assurance and one in Information Systems. I've done prototyping (creating Web API's in C#, MVC Web Apps, and HTML/CSS/JS Web pages) but I've never had a formal Spec to Production Developer role.

I love coding, but at this point in my career how can I, over time (a few years), transition to a full-time software role and not take a cut in pay? I live in the mid-west and can work in Chicago/Milwaukee or remote.

My idea is to go back to school for my BS in Comp Sci, to begin to volunteer on open-source projects, join coding communities, and to freelance in order to build a portfolio. On top of this I have built a list of several online coding courses from Stanford, MIT, and Harvard that I will watch/work through.

I also could look for developer roles internally and try to do a no-pay lateral move.

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How can you switch careers to become a software engineer?

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How can you switch careers to become a software engineer?

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:29 PM

My idea is to go back to school for my BS in Comp Sci, to begin to volunteer on open-source projects, join coding communities, and to freelance in order to build a portfolio. On top of this I have built a list of several online coding courses from Stanford, MIT, and Harvard that I will watch/work through.

This all sounds good as far as it goes, but I'm not sure I can see someone hiring a newly-minted Comp Sci BS - even with the experience you cite - for the sort of money you're talking about. You'll get back up there, but I would expect you'd have to do a little time in the trenches. But then, what do I know? If someone's willing to hire you at that rate, good for you!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How can you switch careers to become a software engineer?

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:42 AM

I agree with jon.

It sounds like you've got a really good plan set, no unrealistic goals, and you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders but... you're unlikely to pick up a job straight off for the money you are on now. It would take time working some lower paying jobs before you can get back to where you are now.

Just be aware that in this line some of the jobs can be soul sucking if you're in it for the money.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1