Dev BootCamps

• (3 Pages)
  • +

30 Replies - 2573 Views - Last Post: 28 January 2016 - 06:59 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Dev BootCamps

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:35 PM

So i am thinking of attending a Dev bootcamp in SF area. I was just wondering if anyone had any information as far companies, pay for entry level. And the over all work/balance life.Is OT mandatory? Do they offer OT or 12 hour shifts?[/font][/font][/size][/size][/b][/b]
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Dev BootCamps

#2 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Dev BootCamps

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:40 PM

Moved to Corner Cubicle.

I was just wondering if anyone had any information as far companies, pay for entry level.

You could easily do some research on this...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:43 PM

Harsh truth. Why would I hire you just because you paid $-- thousand dollars for a 6-24 week course over someone that has:
A. A college degree
B. Past experience doing what I am looking for?

Second, you are asking about pay and hours, before you have any knowledge of any subject area. Programming is not a get rich quick career.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#4 TechnoBear   User is online

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:46 AM

Programming is not a get rich quick career

While this is true, it is a get rich eventually career. I don't get to buy a new wardrobe each week cause I'm poor, but it took a hell of a lot of hard work, and a tonne of luck, to get to this point.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:49 AM

It's really not. If you are good at what you do and put the effort in, you can be very comfortable, but you will not be rich. Developers are well compensated, but sometimes the work causes you to have to jump place to place.

Or it could be your definition of rich and mine are different.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#6 TechnoBear   User is online

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:37 AM

My definition of rich is purely monetary. I'm at a point where I don't have to worry about bills and I don't have to look at price tags when I buy things and still have money let to put in an emergency fund. That's enough for me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:53 AM

Often depends on how well you can 'play the game' so to speak rather than being directly dependant on your programming ability. You don't see too many very well paid code monkey's out there. Most developers tend to move into management roles to further climb the ladder.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:00 AM

That's not rich. I mean it's good, and I'm grateful that being a software developer provides pretty decent financial stability, but most software developer compensations are decidedly middle-class. That's ok, but for any sane value of rich, this is not a field that gets you there.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:11 AM

I earn a decent living, have a nice place and a luxury vehicle, but I don't know any developers that can go to a dealership and buy a new bently on a whim. My CEO was talking about race cars the other day. The cheapest mentioned that he was looking at had a base price of $230k, mind you this was just a play vehicle. That is out of my price range. Therefore, I am not rich.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 TechnoBear   User is online

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:19 AM

I guess I agree with the idea of making a comfortable living then. I came from a very working class family and I'm in a place where I want for and need for nothing and still have the ability to cover emergency costs when they arise (Like my insurance deciding they weren't going to pay for ANY of my medical expenses cause they didn't like a diagnosis I got).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:31 AM

Returning briefly to the original topic, "dev boot camps" are a scam, and you should not give them any money. Period. If you want to work as a software developer, you can either go to school and learn what you need to know, or you can get a bunch of books and teach yourself stuff and hope what you teach yourself is what you need to know. Either way, it takes more than a few weeks to get to the point where you're worth spending money on. If you go the school route, you'll spend most of the first year getting used to a programming language and the idea of programming - crafting instructions for a machine to follow. Then you'll spend about a year getting used to the fact that all of your naive intuitions about programming are incorrect, and in fact there's a lot of stuff you need to know about it which is not obvious until you know it. Then you'll spend about a year learning some of that stuff. Finally, if you're lucky, you'll learn that everything you think you know about the engineering part of the business is also incorrect, and that even if you're capable of writing good code that isn't abominably slow you still need to know a lot about how to get that code written.

At that point, you're a junior programmer. Before that, you're an intern, at best.

If you do it by the "not going to school" route, you'll have to make all of those discoveries on your own. I don't know how long it takes you to recapitulate about fifty years of hard work by incredibly smart people, but if you're really really smart you can do it in about eight years. So if you're smart enough to have started five years ago, this is a really good way to go and will save you a year.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:40 AM

Rich is relative.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:45 AM

Sure, and my grandfather used to exclaim "I wonder what all the poor people are doing today" while drinking beers on his boat on a lazy summer day. It doesn't take tons of money to feel satisfaction in life, but here, "rich" was introduced to refer to an exchange of money for work, and what the balance of that exchange is. I don't think anybody has been saying that getting rich quick (or eventually) = happiness.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#14 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:30 AM

Personally what I would pay money for is a programming retreat. Spend about a week just writing code without any other distractions: meal prep, laundry, bills, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:41 AM

I swear Choscura was looking at doing that a few years back.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +