8 Replies - 402 Views - Last Post: 07 January 2016 - 06:42 PM

#1 Ratatoskr   User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 40
  • View blog
  • Posts: 223
  • Joined: 02-January 16

Hello!

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:04 PM

Hello guys. I am new here(Obviously) and I am hoping that hanging around here will motivate me a little bit more. I started programming when I was about the age of 16 and actively learned until about 19-20. I started working a 9-5 retail job and slowly got out of the hobby. After dealing with some depression and other issues I decided to pick up the hobby again(now 21). Something about solving puzzles and programming just boosts my mood and gives me that sense of accomplishment that I haven't felt in a long time, even if it is something arbitrary.

I often find myself giving up and having "A.D.D" when it comes to hobbies but computers and programming is was I seem to always come back to. I hope being around this community will inspire me to stay motivated and accept challenges. Often I just find my self tapping out on ideas as to what to do for a next project... often never finishing them and to move on to something else, that again, I will not finish completely.

My primary choice is C# but I have dabbled in C++, PHP and Java. I mainly choose C# because I feel .Net is just easier for someone like me who is self taught through reading and trial and error. I hope to be going to college for computer science, but not sure if that's exactly the direction I wish to go. Hope people here can give me some insight to hopefully figure out what I actually desire from "all of this".

Anyways, I hope I don't give up on this!! Thanks for reading.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hello!

#2 modi123_1   User is online

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 15260
  • View blog
  • Posts: 61,138
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: Hello!

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:43 PM

Welcome a'board!


Quote

often never finishing them and to move on to something else,

Sounds like as planning issue. Before you code.. write everything down on what you want to accomplish, how things will work, what is needed, etc. Then draw up a list of items that are a 'must have' and what are just 'gold plating'. Then you can pick up work, get some discrete amount completed, and check off your list with a defined 'goal line' in sight.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Ratatoskr   User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 40
  • View blog
  • Posts: 223
  • Joined: 02-January 16

Re: Hello!

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:03 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 07 January 2016 - 02:43 PM, said:

Welcome a'board!


Quote

often never finishing them and to move on to something else,

Sounds like as planning issue. Before you code.. write everything down on what you want to accomplish, how things will work, what is needed, etc. Then draw up a list of items that are a 'must have' and what are just 'gold plating'. Then you can pick up work, get some discrete amount completed, and check off your list with a defined 'goal line' in sight.

Would you be able to give me an example?

Do you ever chart out your ideas as in how and what is going to work? or just a check list of goals?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 15260
  • View blog
  • Posts: 61,138
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: Hello!

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:07 PM

I am unclear what you want for an example when I offered that you should be designing everything up front.

Quote

Do you ever chart out your ideas as in how and what is going to work? or just a check list of goals?

Yes to the former, and yes to the latter as it typically follows the former.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Ratatoskr   User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 40
  • View blog
  • Posts: 223
  • Joined: 02-January 16

Re: Hello!

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:33 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 07 January 2016 - 03:07 PM, said:

I am unclear what you want for an example when I offered that you should be designing everything up front.

Quote

Do you ever chart out your ideas as in how and what is going to work? or just a check list of goals?

Yes to the former, and yes to the latter as it typically follows the former.


I guess my confusion was upon what you meant by upfront. I was thinking a possible example could have brought me more clarity on specifics or context.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Betsemes   User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular


Reputation: 48
  • View blog
  • Posts: 447
  • Joined: 26-February 15

Re: Hello!

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:10 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImageRatatoskr

View PostRatatoskr, on 07 January 2016 - 05:04 PM, said:

Hello guys.

Hello Ratatoskr. Welcome.

Quote

I often find myself giving up and having "A.D.D" when it comes to hobbies but computers and programming is was I seem to always come back to. I hope being around this community will inspire me to stay motivated and accept challenges. Often I just find my self tapping out on ideas as to what to do for a next project... often never finishing them and to move on to something else, that again, I will not finish completely.

You know, I have a similar problem. I have a practice project that I want to start, and I have been planning to start a topic here to "report" on my success as well as asking for feedback and/or advice. However, I seem to never get into the mood to start that topic, and with it, the project itself. These days have been distracting, all about this Christmas season have held me back from doing much. So, as well as you, I hope to keep momentum. Being the site's "official greeter" has helped to some extent, it keeps me returning to the site, to welcome new members. The road of self-learning is a lonely one.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageEnjoy your stay!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 Ratatoskr   User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 40
  • View blog
  • Posts: 223
  • Joined: 02-January 16

Re: Hello!

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:33 PM

View PostBetsemes, on 07 January 2016 - 05:10 PM, said:

Posted ImagePosted ImageRatatoskr

View PostRatatoskr, on 07 January 2016 - 05:04 PM, said:

Hello guys.

Hello Ratatoskr. Welcome.

Quote

I often find myself giving up and having "A.D.D" when it comes to hobbies but computers and programming is was I seem to always come back to. I hope being around this community will inspire me to stay motivated and accept challenges. Often I just find my self tapping out on ideas as to what to do for a next project... often never finishing them and to move on to something else, that again, I will not finish completely.

You know, I have a similar problem. I have a practice project that I want to start, and I have been planning to start a topic here to "report" on my success as well as asking for feedback and/or advice. However, I seem to never get into the mood to start that topic, and with it, the project itself. These days have been distracting, all about this Christmas season have held me back from doing much. So, as well as you, I hope to keep momentum. Being the site's "official greeter" has helped to some extent, it keeps me returning to the site, to welcome new members. The road of self-learning is a lonely one.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageEnjoy your stay!


Glad to see I'm not alone! Well, not that I'm glad you have similar problems...but... er... you know what I mean. I hope to get to know some people here and hope the community is some-what friendly to noobs. I tend to ask stupid questions but will do my best to use the search to find already asked stupid questions!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Betsemes   User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular


Reputation: 48
  • View blog
  • Posts: 447
  • Joined: 26-February 15

Re: Hello!

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:38 PM

View PostRatatoskr, on 07 January 2016 - 08:33 PM, said:

Glad to see I'm not alone! Well, not that I'm glad you have similar problems...but... er... you know what I mean.

I know what you mean. Don't worry.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1   User is online

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 15260
  • View blog
  • Posts: 61,138
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: Hello!

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:42 PM

Quote

confusion was upon what you meant by upfront.

Upfront.. before you code.. before you touch the keyboard you design. Write down all the actors, actions, needs, activities, goals, outcomes, etc. Define what 'done' is.. From there you can break it down to actionable items, and voila - you have a road map to keep yourself on task. If you feel lazy you can always look to that to find small items to tick off while still keep moving forward.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1