7 Replies - 1472 Views - Last Post: 06 February 2016 - 05:10 AM

Poll: Is it worth it (3 member(s) have cast votes)

Is it worth it

1. Yes (3 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Computer Science and Software Engineering

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:05 PM

I have a question. I want to be a software engineer and I was wondering if I major in computer science can I get a degree in software engineering? If I can, will I have an edge in software engineering or is it a waste of time?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Computer Science and Software Engineering

#2 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Computer Science and Software Engineering

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:13 PM

Moved to Student Campus. Note that the Computer Science forum is for advanced and theoretical topics, while the Student Campus forum is better to discuss majors.

Have you checked out our Student Campus FAQs? In particular, I suggest reading over the following threads:
Do I Need to Go To School for Computer Science
Computer Science vs. Software Engineering
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:13 PM

This is asked regularly, so if you don't like my response you can always look deeper.

Go to school for what you're interested in. A degree gives you an edge for interviews only. What you actually can do is what matters to employers.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:23 PM

It also depends on what school you go to. My college for instance didn't offer a Software Engineering major, but instead had a Software Engineering track to a Computer Science major. So I call myself a Software Engineer, but I have a major in Computer Science. However, my major in college hasn't played a role in what my job titles have been. So far I have been a Web Developer, Firmware Engineer, and Software Engineer at different companies. The funny thing is that The Firmware Engineer and the Software Engineer titles are both for storage products at different companies. So the work has been the same but the only difference is that one was running in kernel space and the other is running in user space. In neither job did I have to actually interact with the hardware directly -- I have just written code as always.

Now, I do believe that if you can have the "Software Engineer" title it will help people's perceptions of you as you go in for interviews.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:29 PM

if I major in computer science can I get a degree in software engineering?

If you major in computer science, you will get a degree in computer science. That's how college works.

Of course you can get a job in software engineering with a CS degree, however you should realize how similar both degrees are.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:55 AM

When it comes down to it, I have an AAS with a focus on Network Administration. I'm a Software Engineer in change of a team of people at a big company, The degree is more of a foot in the door for interviews than it is actually a gauge of anything.

A CS Degree will get your foot in the door, then the interview is all about you not your degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:43 PM

I say it depends on the school.

University of Hertfordshire the 74th ranking UK University offers computer science Bsc without any math. Some say it can't be CS without math and that its really software engineering.

But legally they can call it computer science in the UK even though it does not have Math. Though it has Algorithm design.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:10 AM

Computer Science covers a massive range of areas. It comes down to which of those areas your institution chooses to focus on (and whether or not this is helpful to you).

e.g. I have a friend who did Computer Science at Cambridge UK (one of the best in the world). His course focused heavily on the theoretical/maths/algorithms side of the field. He didn't do much software engineering at all (actually making stuff). As it turns out this was good for me as he now does a lot of system design for telecoms (I don't really understand, too much maths for me), but this doesn't involve him doing a lot of software engineering (actually writing the products).

On the other hand I did a Computer Science degree at the same time, but mine focused a lot more on the engineering side of things. We did do some theory and there was some maths, but for the main part it was about software engineering. We made a lot of stuff in a load of different areas to prepare us for something completely different. Again this turned out well for me as I'm now a developer and I wouldn't ever need any of the theory that Cambridge gave, I don't often use the math side of the degree that I took.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1