• (2 Pages)
  • +

20 Replies - 1719 Views - Last Post: 09 February 2016 - 07:00 AM

• Bloodborne
  • member icon

• View blog

Working on projects without prior knowledge or experience

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:16 PM

I am working for a huge corporate company and as some of you might already know, for the past few years my work is pretty much stagnant and devoid of anything that could further advance my career. I have brought this up to my immediate superiors, and they seem to be trying to remedy that. Just recently, on a meeting, I was informed that there was a new project in another team but it would be a mobile application. I was asked if I was interested. I told them that the team is probably looking for someone with experience and knowledge as to how to build an application, as I'm quite familiar with the expectations this company has with its projects. I also asked as to what technologies would be used. Did I cover all the bases? Has anyone been in a position like this?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Working on projects without prior knowledge or experience

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Working on projects without prior knowledge or experience

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:49 PM

I think it's quite common to be doing things you are unsure about. I entered qa today with something I had never done. What role would you play in the project?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Bloodborne
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:59 PM

I will be considered as hopefully just one of the programmers because I'm pretty sure I won't be able to handle a lead role. I think people here set high expectations for me(my PM even saying some teams are waiting for me to get released so I can move to their teams), I honestly will only take it on if it's clear to the new team that I will almost surely need to learn a lot at the onset.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 TechnoBear   User is online

• Lady A
  • member icon

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:59 AM

I'm in charge of the team here and everything I do except the actual code is outside my domain of experience. It's just the way the corporate world works. The trick, and something that a programmer should be good at, is thinking on your feet and problem solving. Those skills don't get affected much by the domain you are under to be fair, you'll do fine mate.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:35 AM

for the past few years my work is pretty much stagnant and devoid of anything that could further advance my career. I have brought this up to my immediate superiors, and they seem to be trying to remedy that.
[...]
I told them that the team is probably looking for someone with experience and knowledge as to how to build an application

Wait a minute here.. you complained you weren't doing anything new or cool.. they gave you something new.. and then you balked at it as being something you didn't immediately know? Seems like you are sending mixed messages.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:40 AM

I wouldn't say balked. I'm thinking more scared to go outside of his comfort zone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:46 AM

.. but that's what s/he was asking for, right? I haven't had too much NQuil to be misreading this?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:07 AM

Not sure, he definitely seems gun shy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:59 AM

View PostfromTheSprawl, on 26 January 2016 - 12:59 AM, said:

I honestly will only take it on if it's clear to the new team that I will almost surely need to learn a lot at the onset.

Sure - make sure there are no overly optimistic expectations, and then go for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Bloodborne
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:26 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 26 January 2016 - 02:35 PM, said:

for the past few years my work is pretty much stagnant and devoid of anything that could further advance my career. I have brought this up to my immediate superiors, and they seem to be trying to remedy that.
[...]
I told them that the team is probably looking for someone with experience and knowledge as to how to build an application

Wait a minute here.. you complained you weren't doing anything new or cool.. they gave you something new.. and then you balked at it as being something you didn't immediately know? Seems like you are sending mixed messages.
Almost every project here devolve into death marches because the higher-ups expect everyone to hit the ground running and they set strict deadlines, and their solution is round the clock overtime. A different department moves on a campaign that assumes a system will be finished by a certain point in time without consulting IT first. I know that if the proper expectations are set, I'll be able to fully deliver.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:45 PM

Honestly, sounds like a crappy work environment. Management should never set development time. I have deadlines, but client management and [mainly] the project manager also set exceptable dev times or rearrange other projects to make it doable.

Go for the change or look for a change.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:16 PM

View PostfromTheSprawl, on 26 January 2016 - 08:26 PM, said:

Almost every project here devolve into death marches because the higher-ups expect everyone to hit the ground running and they set strict deadlines, and their solution is round the clock overtime. A different department moves on a campaign that assumes a system will be finished by a certain point in time without consulting IT first. I know that if the proper expectations are set, I'll be able to fully deliver.

So... they do this often and it never seems to work and they do it anyway?

Sounds like a good place to list under "former employment" on the resume.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#13 TechnoBear   User is online

• Lady A
  • member icon

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:14 AM

Sounds like a good place to list under "former employment" on the resume.

Straight up, solid experience is great and all but burning yourself out for a job is no way to live. I mean it's cool to do occasionally, close to an important deadline or whatever, but not every deadline is that crucial and if the company really feels it is then it's worth looking elsewhere.

Allowing them to push you like that will just break you, even steel breaks under enough pressure.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Bloodborne
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2016 - 06:36 PM

I guess I'll admit I'm gun shy. I've been a part of another team before and they're getting projects left and right and this time around they're having a new project using Agile Scrum and TDD. Meanwhile, my future in my current team looks like it's configuration hell.

Anyway, I really want to put where I'm at behind me but consider this: I am the only breadwinner in the family and if I even stop working for a month it's dire. So I can't just leave without being sure that my source of income won't stop.

I've been here almost five years, I feel like if I stay any longer I'll be here for eternity. This is my first job and I've been here ever since.

I guess if this company won't help me, I should help myself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 February 2016 - 06:51 PM

You can start looking without leaving. See what else is out there, it can't hurt.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +