5 Replies - 659 Views - Last Post: 30 January 2016 - 11:02 PM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Front End and Back End Developement

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:08 PM

I did a search, so hopefully I didn't mess up, but I'm curious about front end vs back end development. What I would like to know is what you guys do, if you have done both which do you prefer, and do you think there is a benefit to one over the other?

Personally, I started practicing WPF and noticed I've been coding less than I used to. I'm starting to wonder if I should stick to back end for a while longer, and possibly never even touch front end. I do like the idea of graphics as well though, and I would like to be able to program my own application completely, but I suppose I'm just at a point where I don't know what to do. I'm not asking for advice to go one way or the other, I'm just curious about all of your opinions and thoughts on the topic.

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Front End and Back End Developement

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Front End and Back End Developement

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:22 PM

I'm not sure of what you are asking. I have done full stack and technically still do, but I prefer the backend. I am not a design person in the least and am highly analytical and methodical in my development. What draws me to the area is the problem solving not the UI or prettiness of a system. That being said, I understand what makes a frontend nice and can say if something is complete, I just can't get it to that point.

Why, studying WPF, are you coding less? In it's rawest form it is still development with an XAML frontend. So, why are you coding less in general?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:45 PM

I think I'm coding less (aside from playing with my new server) because I'm getting frustrated on how to get the graphics to work. Like I was working on a shopping cart program and was able to populate a list and even get a data template working, but then the data template was creating a table that was messing up the grid setup that I was trying to put the data in, in the first place haha. Sorry if that was confusing. I just get frustrated with spending more time making the code display correctly than I do actually writing the code. I still need practice and I know I'll get there if I stick with it, but I was just kind of curious how everyone else felt about the topic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:53 PM

That is always a frustrating aspect. Wait until you inherit a code base where the simplest change breaks the entire system.

The more you understand the parts, the easier it gets. If you were not frustrated in learning, you will not remember the aha moments when they come up again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:56 PM

Haha oh man, that doesn't sound like a fun time :P.

That is very true. I'm just going to have to stick with it. Back when I was first starting, a lot of the stuff I know now seemed almost impossible to me haha. I guess I just hit that point again. I better just start practicing more!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2016 - 11:02 PM

Sounds like you want to step back and think about tight coupling and why it's a bad thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1