10 Replies - 1212 Views - Last Post: 02 February 2016 - 04:03 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How do i start software development?

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:49 AM

I've got some experience In c++. But a placement that I've applied for says that experience in software development is preferable. I have no idea where to start. Can you use codeblocks?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How do i start software development?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How do i start software development?

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:53 AM

At its basics look at the words. Can you develop software. That is to say given a project idea can you logically break down, design, and implement that design. Take an idea, architect a solution, and then code it. It is larger than just using a given IDE or language. Typically classes do this in small bits for homework, larger in more generalized classes, and what not.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:58 AM

Usually when HR says "experience in software development" it means one of two things:
  • HR is asking for experience in the full software development life cycle (SDLC).
  • HR doesn't know what it is asking for, and their developers/managers don't have time to explain. :)

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:53 AM

What do you mean when you say you have "some experience with C++"? This is often a sticky point: to the applicant, it can mean "I've written some stuff in C++". To the employer, it usually means something more like "you've deployed C++ code that other people have used". The former can be okay, but it's important to start out talking about the same thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:11 PM

I am going to guess with these types of questions, you are not quite where they need someone to be. CodeBlocks has nothing to do with skill level and thinking it does automatically knocks you off. What modi123_1 shows is a definitive definition.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:18 PM

Now that you have all observed my ignorance of this subject, can you tell me where I can start?

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:38 PM

Find MOOC classes, books, etc on the topic.

Example:
https://mva.microsof...PHKy_5104984382
http://www.amazon.co.../dp/0596527357/
https://mva.microsof...XiQ5_8504984382
http://www.amazon.co...re+architecture
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:17 PM

They are asking you to code maybe for an application, a website or perhaps a plugin or extensions using the language your familiar with.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:19 PM

Following on from my previous comment: best thing is to get some experience writing code that will be deployed for others to use. Users teach you a lot of the things that employers wish you knew. Open-source projects are a good place to get this sort of experience. You can also try to build stuff with your friends, but it's a lot easier to learn if there are some people in the room who have experience. (It's great to learn from your mistakes, but it's even better and faster if you can learn from someone else's mistakes)

Code challenge sites are not a bad thing, but they're not going to give you experience with software development. Software development is about making big things that hold together, it's about working with nontrivial sets of requirements and understanding the effects of a change in this interface here on this other piece way over there.

On another hand, it's always possible to apply to the job and point to your positives - if you feel like you have strong skills with C++, and you have lots of domain experience, and you can learn what you need to learn, tell them this. Make your case on your strong points and see where you get. If you have military credentials or any interesting back story, bring that. Mature employers often value breadth of experience on a par with focused software dev experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#10 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:55 PM

If you are interested in continuing with C++, I would check out the following pinned threads in the C/C++ forum:
C/C++ Learning Series
C++ Books
C++ IDEs

There is a pinned Which Languages thread in this forum, and most of the forums have similar pinned threads to help you get started.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Xamarin Cert. Dev.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:03 PM

See FAQ's:

33 I'm teaching my self to code and {...}
42-26 How do I become programmer?
50 How do I become a BETTER programmer?

Wanting to know how and where to distribute software, what to charge, how to secure it, how to provide updates and so on is fairly common. For that reason, if you look toward the end of my FAQ below questions 48 and higher cover a lot and provide several links to existing in-dept discussions. Of course distribution channels change rapidly. Some are platform specific such as Apple's app store if you are making iOS software. If you have any new suggestions specifically on where, please let me know and I'll update this FAQ.

tlhIn`toq's FAQ list - Updated Oct 2015

Learning to debug one's own code is an essential skill. Sadly, one that apparently few college courses teach. Silly if you ask me.
Placing breakpoints and walking through the code line by line allows you to actually WATCH it execute, check the condition of each of variable's run-time value, and watch the logic unfold right before your eyes.
Visualizing what your code does will let you see why it behaves the way it does.
It would be well worth your time to do the tutorials on FAQ 2. A couple hours learning this skill will save you hundreds of hours of confusion in one project alone.

In addition to FAQ 2 in the list below, also check my signature block for a link on how to look at your variables' values at run-time.

TOP most asked:
What does this error message mean?
FAQ 2: How do I debug
FAQ 3: How do I make Class1/Form1 talk to Class2/Form2

Why are you still building in WinForms?

"old 1990's WinForms"? i just use visual studio 2015 and started up with a windows form. didn't know there was an option for a newer winform?

WinForms is OLD. Virtually 'legacy' and to many of us nearly considered end-of-life. There are still placing building new projects in it, but I wouldn't work for anyplace that wanted to hold me back by two decades. There are probably tens of thousands of legacy WinForms applications in use in countless companies. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." in other words: If there isn't a financial gain to be made in re-writing them right now why invest the time and money?

But with decades of WinForms comes developers with decades more experience than you'll have and you have no way to compete with them. Let the legacy developer maintain the legacy applications. Many of them are too stuck in their ways to move forward to WPF. Which is why if you look at job boards, what companies are hiring for and have been looking for, for the last several years its: WPF/MVVM.

So if I were you I would just jump right to WPF. Don't worry about WinForms unless you have a deliberate need for it down the line. Otherwise you spend 10,000 hours getting good at WinForms only to find you need to spend another 7,500 hours bringing your skillset forward several years into WPF - And at the same time break all the bad habits you learned in WinForms.

If some company hires you for WPF development, but would also like it if you could maintain some legacy applications THEN learn WinForms; and take your good habits from WPF with you.

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions - Updated Nov 2015
Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1