6 Replies - 948 Views - Last Post: 19 February 2016 - 08:59 AM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Learning Java EE on Debian 8 - suggestions?

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:25 AM

I've been thinking of learning Java EE / back end programming, and I wonder what should I install to get an useful platform for learning? It should support programming from total beginner level to "feasible programmer"-level. I'm not aiming to be a good programmer yet.

I was thinking of using tomcat8, but there are a load of different packages for Debian 8. Which should I install?
Tomcat8-user? What else?
Which database would you recommend? Lightish and easy to use when/if I advance to that.

The environment should be lightish, because on the same machine, there are other development environments too, and the old machine has not enough bang to keep them all up at the same time.

I could also use some material for learning the basic Java from elementary level to medium level. I've looked at quite some resources, but it seems that in most of them, instead of Java, they teach (mostly) graphics libraries.

[EDIT]
Spending some more time with my friend Google got me to realize that I may be setting too many restrictions.
I guess I'd be lucky to come up with some J2EE server that supports the most used features, is free, and fits in my computer (Lenovo T400 / Debian 8.3) somehow. Asking for all features, easiness of use or lightness probably makes the equation unsolvable.

So maybe not Tomcat? JBoss perhaps?

This post has been edited by turboscrew: 15 February 2016 - 11:01 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Learning Java EE on Debian 8 - suggestions?

• I think you'll find it's "Dr"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Learning Java EE on Debian 8 - suggestions?

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:42 PM

I can't comment too much, as this really isn't my area of expertise, but a couple of things:

1. Java comes with its own relational database, Java DB, which is also known as Apache Derby.
2. Tomcat only implements some of the Java EE specification (Servlets, JSPs and some others; see the website for the complete list). If you need a more of the EE stuff, you'll need to look at Apache TomEE or other products. TomEE only implements the so-called "Web Profile", though. An article I found describing the Web Profile as part of Java EE can be found here.

This post has been edited by ndc85430: 16 February 2016 - 10:45 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:02 AM

Funny. All around I see stuff about Java access to MySQL, and I wondered if MariaDB or Postgresql would be better.

Have to check out the TomEE. I also looked into the differencies of Java web profile vs. full differencies.

The question remains, do I need EJB? After some searching, it started to look like EJB is not much used nowadays.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:30 AM

Well, remember that MariaDB is just a fork of MySQL ;)/>.

I can't say anything about EJB, as I've never used them to be honest. Maybe just get used to writing web apps with just servlets and JSPs first (so you could just use Tomcat for that) and then maybe consider a framework like Spring. Unfortunately, my knowledge of Java web apps mainly came from a training course I had at my old job, so I don't know any good books on the servlets/JSP stuff (I know a book on Spring, but that doesn't cover the basics of servlets).

Having said that, if you're not too set on Java for web apps, you could of course learn, say, Ruby or Python and one of their respective frameworks.

This post has been edited by ndc85430: 17 February 2016 - 09:33 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:58 AM

I've also asked some other places about whether or not I'll need EJB too, but have got no responses anywhere, so
I decided to start without, and installed netbeans-bundle with Tomcat: https://netbeans.org...oads/index.html (the "all"-version).

I've now been going through "Head First Servlets & JSP", and it doesn't look hard after elementary Java course.
The book could be a bit more terse, though.

I'm doing Java for basically two reasons. As a laid-off there seems to be more jobs for those that can program in Java EE, and Java EE seems more natural continuum to my backround as an embedded programmer, when extending towards web technologies.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:56 AM

Fair enough! Sorry you lost your job, though :(.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:59 AM

View Postndc85430, on 19 February 2016 - 02:56 PM, said:

Fair enough! Sorry you lost your job, though :(/>.

Well, that "disease" has been raving in Finland for a while...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1