10 Replies - 493 Views - Last Post: 21 February 2016 - 08:30 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Happy to be here

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:17 PM

First off my name is Alex but people on the web call me Oats for short due to my screen name. I'm 28 years old and have delved in many things over the years and never mastering anything including the guitar, web design, and game design among other things. I haven't done any coding in years and pretty much forgot everything that I knew as a child.

My plan is to get back into web design, familiarize myself again with html, learn some php and then eventually build up to learn Ruby because the language always appealed to me. Wouldn't mind trying to make some games years from now in Ruby.

I'm here primarily to learn but hopefully in the future I can help others learn as well. You might find me asking a stupid question every now and then but I know this community is filled with professionals and hobbyists a like. Look forward to getting to know some of you and learning some code!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Happy to be here

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Happy to be here

Posted 21 February 2016 - 04:25 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImageAlex

View PostBloodyOats, on 21 February 2016 - 06:17 PM, said:

First off my name is Alex ...

Hello Alex. Welcome. My oldest nephew is also called Alex. :)

... but people on the web call me Oats for short due to my screen name.

Well, within a forum, your nickname is always visible; your real name must be remembered, and people tend to forget.

I'm 28 years old and have delved in many things over the years and never mastering anything including the guitar, web design, and game design among other things. I haven't done any coding in years and pretty much forgot everything that I knew as a child.

:) Similar to me. I studied math/compsci back in the 80's, but never worked as a programmer. I almost forgot everything I knew. Since about a year ago, I decided to relearn what I knew as well as new things.

My plan is to get back into web design, familiarize myself again with html, learn some php and then eventually build up to learn Ruby because the language always appealed to me. Wouldn't mind trying to make some games years from now in Ruby.

If what I have read is true, you may do better if you forget about PHP and go directly for Ruby. There is also a forum on game development.

I'm here primarily to learn but hopefully in the future I can help others learn as well. You might find me asking a stupid question every now and then but I know this community is filled with professionals and hobbyists a like. Look forward to getting to know some of you and learning some code!

For questions, the search function is your best friend. Some questions are asked repeatedly and it's likely there is already an answer somewhere. You may also try to Google your question. There is very few that you don't find through Google. While learning C++, I find all my answers through either Google or these forums. Now that I'm stepping into VDM++, I find it's not as easy to find answers. I'd expect there is much more on Ruby though.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageEnjoy your stay!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for the lengthy reply and initial suggestions. I'm currently looking at web hosts and editors to suite my needs and then I'll decide exactly what I want to do when it comes to languages. I'll definitely consider your suggestion at just jumping into ruby. I've heard it can be hard to learn especially for a beginner but I always think if it's easy then it's not worth it in the end :bigsmile:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:41 PM

Welcome, for web hosts, I would recommend Digital Ocean to start off with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:00 PM

My plan is to get back into web design, familiarize myself again with html, learn some php and then eventually build up to learn Ruby because the language always appealed to me

Like Betsemes, I don't see the point in the PHP part of this plan. PHP is its own special language, and it's not one that's going to help you much in learning Ruby. (nor is it going to help you much in any other way, except in appreciating how nice other languages are)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:05 PM

I work in PHP mostly and I don't see the point in this. If your goal is to learn Ruby, dive in! Learning PHP won't help you learn Ruby anymore than learning Python will help you learn C#. The concepts are the same, but implementation is slightly different for each language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:08 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 21 February 2016 - 08:00 PM, said:

My plan is to get back into web design, familiarize myself again with html, learn some php and then eventually build up to learn Ruby because the language always appealed to me

Like Betsemes, I don't see the point in the PHP part of this plan. PHP is its own special language, and it's not one that's going to help you much in learning Ruby. (nor is it going to help you much in any other way, except in appreciating how nice other languages are)

After doing a little research I agree. Probably best to just stick with html and ruby to start with. Now I just need to find a good editor that supports ruby and has ftp upload as well.

Also I think Im going to give site5 a try as a host.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:10 PM

Anything wrong with Ruby's native IDE? If you don't mind the cost, I like JetBrains products for several things.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:19 PM

Well I haven't gave it a try yet lol

All I've done to this point is research. Ill probably get started trying things tomorrow and see if the IDE works for me. Don't see why it wouldn't.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:27 PM

If you want to try traditional editors, the ruby community seems largely to favor vi (vim), though there are a number of people working in emacs as well. I would expect that tooling for both editors would be available.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:30 PM

I actually donloaded vim but didnt have time to dive in it. The list of features and language support seemed to be very good.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1