• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

50 Replies - 2425 Views - Last Post: 23 February 2016 - 12:09 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Looking for Volunteer Programmers for a New Programming Project

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:27 AM

This is a new project to develop a substantial amount of coding in C#.

We would like to interview people who know how to code from on-the-job experience.

Currently, the project is awaiting to be submitted to grants to try to get funding.

In the meantime, this is a ground-floor opportunity for anyone who wants to be in a new organization
to produce a substantial amount of coding in C#.

http://npcompletesolver.wordpress.com

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Looking for Volunteer Programmers for a New Programming Project

#2 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Looking for Volunteer Programmers for a New Programming Project

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:28 AM

Your thread has been moved to our Volunteer Jobs and Collaborative Teambuilding forum. Please remember that threads seeking volunteer help, a group to learn together, or a group to work on a hobbyist project do not belong in the general help forums or our paid jobs forum.
The paid jobs forum is strictly for jobs for which you intend to pay some definite sum in a negotiable currency. Shares in future profits, in-game currencies, and promises of possible employment do not qualify.

NOTE: If you are actually offering concrete payment, PM me and I'll move this into the main Post A Job forum.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:43 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 22 February 2016 - 09:28 AM, said:

Your thread has been moved to our Volunteer Jobs and Collaborative Teambuilding forum. Please remember that threads seeking volunteer help, a group to learn together, or a group to work on a hobbyist project do not belong in the general help forums or our paid jobs forum.
The paid jobs forum is strictly for jobs for which you intend to pay some definite sum in a negotiable currency. Shares in future profits, in-game currencies, and promises of possible employment do not qualify.

NOTE: If you are actually offering concrete payment, PM me and I'll move this into the main Post A Job forum.

Hello,
Thank you for that information. I am trying to make a judgement as to how many people (roughly), would want to respond to my offer to get a sense of whether or not it's going to take off as a project. The project has a lot of theoretical potential, because it's a major computer science topic. However, potential is not enough, it has to go through the process.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:51 AM

The project has a lot of theoretical potential, because it's a major computer science topic.

Eh... Not really. Regarding government grants, I wouldn't hold my breath. You aren't at a research lab or academic institution. And it doesn't seem like you have a PhD in the area. Theory grants are tough to get, and they're usually small (a few thousand dollars, for example). It's hardly enough to support actual developers.

Additionally, theorists are interested in algorithms, existence results, and structural results with regards to complexity. And there are extensive approximation algorithms to cope with issues of complexity. I don't see what you're bringing to the table. Your project sounds as grandiose and unrealistic as implementing a brand new, comprehensive machine learning platform or developing a game engine.

If this is a hobby, then that's great! But you're selling this as something that will bring in money, which is wishful thinking at best.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:59 AM

Thanks for such a sincere response.

What I have to offer to the "table" is that I have an algorithm for the SAT solver that runs in polynomial time. I copyrighted it about seven times, sending the coding updates to the U.S. Copyright Office during the years 2006-2008.

Now, what I want to do is develop it into a program that will handle ALL of the NP-Complete problems by having one individual dynamic link library for each of the six main categories of the NP-complete problems.

Yes, you are right, it's unlikely that I will get a government grant. Someone told me that the odds are about 1 out of six that I will get one. But there are corporate grants, and I have the ability to develop the code in the meantime until it can become something worth considering.

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 22 February 2016 - 10:06 AM
Reason for edit:: No need to quote posts. There is a Reply button at the bottom of the page.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:05 AM

Frankly, I don't believe you've proven P = NP, and I won't unless you can get your work past the reviewers of a top-tier theoretical computer science journal. Copyrighting it doesn't mean anything in academia. Peer-reviewed publications do.

sending the coding updates

What about a proof of correctness and complexity?

Of course, you'll also have to compete with this similar author who claims to also have proven P = NP by solving the CLIQUE problem in polynomial time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:10 AM

I agree with that statement absolutely. I am trying to write a paper and submit it to the papers at my university where I graduated. My issue is what sequence of steps to properly pursue this idea. For example, should I first copyright the coding and demonstrate that it works on a computer, or is the very first step to publish?

In the place where I work there is a big value on having the working coding and making it perform some task that is useful.

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 22 February 2016 - 10:11 AM
Reason for edit:: Please don't quote the post above you.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:16 AM

There is a Reply button at the bottom of each page. Please avoid quoting posts, especially larger posts. :)

In the place where I work there is a big value on having the working coding and making it perform some task that is useful.

This is not how it works in theoretical disciplines. Proofs are what we care about.

I am trying to write a paper and submit it to the papers at my university where I graduated.

Submit it to an actual journal. Like this one. It's managed by Babai, one of the experts in complexity theory. And lots of experts across various domains of theory of computation serve as volunteer editors and reviewers. Read through the papers there. Get a feel for the literature and writing style. Then write up your results and submit them.

In all likelihood, they'll reject your work without much consideration, since lots of novices and hobbyists submit such "results." And frankly, you're not an expert in complexity theory. (Neither am I, for that matter.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:19 AM

I completely understand and agree that they will most likely reject my paper. I know that fact from my own experiences in the university system. However, I am going to follow your advice and try my luck at submitting it to them.

And also, thank you for that link to that specific journal.

I am very confident "in my head" that I have solved this. Now, it's just a matter of expressing it in the right language that will convey the truth of the mathematics.

I was hoping that my getting a grant from some large institution, (I considered the NSF for example), that I could tie it some real world application such as perhaps DNA research for biology.

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 22 February 2016 - 10:20 AM
Reason for edit:: Seriously- STOP quoting posts.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:22 AM

I am very confident "in my head" that I have solved this. Now, it's just a matter of expressing it in the right language that will convey the truth of the mathematics.

Do you actually know how to write a proof...? What sorts of proofs-based classes have you taken?

I was hoping that my getting a grant from some large institution, (I considered the NSF for example), that I could tie it some real world application such as perhaps DNA research for biology.

You don't need to motivate the significance of proving P = NP. The $1 Million prize is offered on this problem for a reason
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:30 AM

You hit upon a major stumbling block of my project. I took Discrete Math and had to repeat it. In the place where I work as a coder, there is not a big emphasis on the theory of proofs. Consequently, I am somewhat of an amateur at proving theorems.

The place where I work is a civil/structural engineering company. The proof of what they do was established several hundred years ago in terms of the deflection of beams and columns under stress. Whereas the proofs in computer science are from the last half of the 20th century.

I need to take a course on proofs, to make up for that issue.

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 22 February 2016 - 10:31 AM
Reason for edit:: STOP QUOTING LARGE POSTS!!

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:32 AM

Seriously- STOP quoting posts please. There is a REPLY button at the bottom of each page.

You hit upon a major stumbling block of my project. I took Discrete Math and had to repeat it. In the place where I work as a coder, there is not a big emphasis on the theory of proofs. Consequently, I am somewhat of an amateur at proving theorems.

Yeah... don't take this the wrong way, but your "result" isn't credible. Algorithm and complexity proofs are picky. It's very likely your result is not correct.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:43 AM

I accept that in all honesty you have no other choice but to believe that. It's a very serious issue that should not
be just laughed off.

The problem for me is to either:

1) find a way to prove my case in terms of the mathematical abstractions

or

2) find a way to produce the coding and demonstrate a working piece of code

That's relying on the computer as if it was like a "blackboard" or "medium" to deliver the proof to everybody else.

Then, you have to consider the fact that it only means something if it's proven to the "right people". You don't want to consider ordinary lay people as if they are part of the discussion. (which sounds kind of snobbish, but it's true).

There is no "Universal language" for the proof to be delivered to the world. Hence, you have a replay of the "Tower of Babel".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:50 AM

2) find a way to produce the coding and demonstrate a working piece of code

That's relying on the computer as if it was like a "blackboard" or "medium" to deliver the proof to everybody else.

Example != proof. And that's what a computer implementation of your algorithm is- an example. If you want to implement it, that's great. But don't expect it to convince people who are in a position to judge the correctness and complexity.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:51 AM

I don't believe anything theoretical is a "serious issue." Getting that out of the way, what exactly are you copyrighting? IP?

Mac is the resident math nerd and is in that area daily. Follow his advice and see if it gets noticed. Either way, out of the spectrum that I care about as it is not usable to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »