12 Replies - 868 Views - Last Post: 03 March 2016 - 10:43 AM

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Different language weights between countries

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:40 AM

So, I'm moving back to the UK from the States. End of this month and so obviously I've been trying to find work...

I have noticed that where I am in the States when people are looking for a .NET dev they all seem to want VB.NET, however looking at the UK it seems like the .NET positions are nearly all C#.NET.

I am just wondering if this is some kind of confirmation bias or if anyone might know of a reason why different countries might give more weight to certain languages.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Different language weights between countries

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Different language weights between countries

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:02 AM

Even within the United States there are "pockets" of language preference and jobs. I don't have any reasoning for why. I've been fortunate to live in a city with tons of tech, so I can basically always find jobs in my stack.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:06 AM

I know that in Sweden everything that is mentioned as .NET is basically C#. I have not seen a position for VB.NET here. I can only speak for the country i know about and here C#.NET is the standard since they picked it up first. In schools they also teach C# and not VB here so i guess companies have an easier time finding an C# developer rather than an VB developer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:50 AM

I would disagree - typically folks say ".NET" they mean C#.. but any technical side of a job interview when it comes to .NET they are okay with either.. or both.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:07 AM

I would disagree

However, in my 5 years of commercial experience, every time they've posted for .Net out here it has been VB.Net. Someone mentioned that in their school they teach C# which may have been a factor, while doing my AAS they didn't even cover C# here, just VB so that may be a factor
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:12 AM

I'm not sure who "they've" was referencing, but clearly that is not the same experience as the job boards in my region/typical lazy day job search.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:25 AM

I'm not sure who "they've" was referencing

It was general for people who post to job boards, I'm doing the forums while my tests are running so I have fairly short windows to type in :)

but clearly that is not the same experience as the job boards in my region/typical lazy day job search.

And this is kind of, i guess, what this post is about... I was curious what factors make the difference with which languages are given weight
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:27 AM

Schools, business region, fads, perception, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:59 AM

I'll try and make sense out of the enlisted examples:

In Dubai, Pakistan and India; Many Software Development companies would prefer VB.net for .net because they already have that established and they probably dont have time nor any means to persuade nor upgrade to C#.net, unless their clients would demand them to upgrade.

This may confuse many programmers but unless either Microsoft pushes to populate third party software development firms to adapt to C#.net and / or majority of their own clientele uses .net interface with C#, many of those Software Development firms will still use VB.net because they are used to it.

Place where you are in States probably have the same thing going on as well. Not everyone likes the change you know.

EDIT: Correct me if I am wrong.

This post has been edited by Nitewalkr: 02 March 2016 - 10:03 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:25 AM

Are you sure that it is VB.NET that they are looking for, and not VB? Some HR folks, as well as recruiters mistakenly think that VB.NET is just a more advanced version of VB. I can understand the demand for VB because a lot of VB code was written about 10-15 years ago, and has now been abandoned, but still needs maintenance. In general though, I tend to job postings that are looking for C#, rather than VB.NET, but that maybe more localized to the US East Coast.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:41 AM

I'm sure with regards to where I am right now. My current posting, along side ruining lives, is to migrate some old VB6 and Python Libraries to VB.Net
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:57 AM

View PostBrokenprogrammer, on 02 March 2016 - 04:06 PM, said:

I know that in Sweden everything that is mentioned as .NET is basically C#. I have not seen a position for VB.NET here. I can only speak for the country i know about and here C#.NET is the standard since they picked it up first. In schools they also teach C# and not VB here so i guess companies have an easier time finding an C# developer rather than an VB developer.

The same in Finland.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:43 AM

around here when they say .net it is usually a 50 to 50 % chance that they mean c# or Vb.net because a lot of times they copy past from each other and have no real understanding of what they are asking for or what it means. For instance i was called about a .net position and I asked them which language and they said English-- i clarified myself and asked which programming language and they said JAVA.... and so on
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1